Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 12:22 pm
@Irishk,
But that's what's great about names from languages that don't use the Greco-roman alphabet.

There is no wrong way to spell them.

Quran v Koran
Mao Tse-tung v Mao Zedong
Gaddafi v Khadaffi

I always get a kick out of new spellings and wonder how they get accepted.

If you've ever had a bottle of Tsing-tao beer you might have seen that the back label explains it should be pronounced Ching-dao

Why the hell was it spelled Tsing-tao in the first place?

It would appear that those employed to transliterate Chinese words and names into the Greco-roman alphabet had a problem with the "t" sound vs. the "d" sound.

Is this something for which we can thank the British?

Their insistence on a British pronounciation of words that has little bearing on the way the rest of the world (including the home region) pronounces it is something that I've always found endearing in the Brits:

Pasta
Al-Qaida
Jaguar
Etc
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 12:30 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Yeah, and twisting Fs into PHs
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 01:08 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm personally partial to Ka-Daffy. That's what they should put on his tombstone. I just read he'll probably be buried at sea, though, so now we'll never know for reals.

CNN is reporting they killed both his sons, too. Saif's death isn't confirmed yet. He's the one that liked Vegas so much.

Some mid-East 'expert' on CNN is miffed and calling for an immediate investigation into the 'brutal' murders.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 01:13 pm
Yep, it appears that we got him (and it is "we" as American is an active participant in this civil war generally and in the hunt for Gaddafi specifically), and he almost certainly did go out in the blaze of glory that I had expected him to....the claims that he died "like a dog" hiding in a drainage pipe are too silly to take seriously, and comes from the Rebel command (such that it is) which has zero credibility.
Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 01:20 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
What the hell is the "Greco-"Roman alphabet supposed to be? The Greeks still use their alphabet, and St. Cyril combined the two to form the Cyrillic alphabet, used by slavic languages, most obviously by the Russians.

As for the Chinese, their language used to be transliterated using the Wade-Giles or the Yale systems--both imposed on the Mandarin by English speakers. However, since the early 1980s, they have insisted upon the use of the Hanyu-Pinyin system.

How dare they ? ! ? ! ? The arrogance, to suggest that they can use Roman characters as they please . . . those arrogant savages.

Tsingtao (which is the Wade-Giles spelling, in Pinyin it's Qingdao) was seized by the Germans in 1898, and held until the outbreak of the Great War in 1914. That's why they know how to make beer. Anyone who has tasted OB (Oriental Brewers) or Kirin, or any of the other brands of the far east other than Tsingtao knows that the latter is the only beer worth drinking in the far east.
georgeob1

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 01:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
I think it is far too early to make any such judgments as this. About all we can rely on so far is that he and a force of bodygaurds were trying to escape from Sirte in a convoy that was apparently struck by an air attack, and that the encounter with rebel forces occurred immediately or soon afterwards.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 01:38 pm
@hawkeye10,
It is way too soon to say what happened with confidence, but I also found it interesting when I heard, this morning, someone say with a sneer that despite his vows to fight until the end he was caught pleading "Don't shoot me."

Considering that they had just acknowledged that he was wounded in both legs and the neck when they captured him, it seems like he may have have been pretty true to his word.

Of course whether he went out fighting or not is meaningful only as respects the story that will be told.
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 01:54 pm
@Setanta,
These replies are why I hold a not-so-grudging admiration of you.

I laughed out loud at "Greco-Roman" ......

Joe(but I wrestled with how to respond.)Naiton
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 02:01 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

If you've ever had a bottle of Tsing-tao beer you might have seen that the back label explains it should be pronounced Ching-dao

Why the hell was it spelled Tsing-tao in the first place?

Because that is how we Germans spell (and spelled in this case, it was a German protectorate since 1898, and a German brewery since 1903) Qingdao.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 02:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
It is way too soon to say what happened with confidence, but I also found it interesting when I heard, this morning, someone say with a sneer that despite his vows to fight until the end he was caught pleading "Don't shoot me
The victors write history....nobody who knows the truth about how Gaddafi died has a motive for telling the truth...we are going to get told what they want us to think. Until and unless the US releases video that supports the story that Gaddafi died like a dog we should assume that he did not.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 02:05 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

I laughed out loud at "Greco-Roman" ......

Wαlά, κeλe ...
RABEL222

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 02:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
From what i read he was taken alive and brought back to the city they tried to escape from and he was killed by a mob. Whoever the mob was composed of would be interesting to know.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 03:35 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
So when Germans hear "ch" and "d" sounds they think "t?"
0 Replies

arash010

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 06:21 am
@hawkeye10,
now the rule of Gaddafi has finish this is definite truth that every ruler has to leave his kingdom either he left himself or people turn down his rule like in libya.
Setanta

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 06:40 am
@arash010,
What does that say if it's translated into English?
ollie77

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 01:30 pm
@Irishk,
I've seen a few photos too.
But I wouldn't tell they are convincing.
I'd probably say they were horrible, even for a man like him...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 01:40 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
The Germans have a long history in China. Even the Bund (abreviated) in Shanghai, the financial district, is a German word.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2011 03:24 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Quote:
It is way too soon to say what happened with confidence, but I also found it interesting when I heard, this morning, someone say with a sneer that despite his vows to fight until the end he was caught pleading "Don't shoot me
The victors write history....nobody who knows the truth about how Gaddafi died has a motive for telling the truth...we are going to get told what they want us to think. Until and unless the US releases video that supports the story that Gaddafi died like a dog we should assume that he did not.
None of MY dogs have died that way.
Thay had some dignity.
Kaddafy seems to have been sodomized with a piece of wood or metal.
It was for that reason (indignities manifested upon Mussolini),
that Hitler had his body burned to destruction by loyal SS.

David
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2011 04:39 am
@Setanta,
Let me help:
Quote:
now the rule of Qaddafi has finish this is definite truth that every ruler has to leave his kingdom either he left himself or people turn down his rule like in Libya.

The rule of Qaddafi is finished. The truth is that every rule must end, either by the ruler's own choice or, as in Libya, by the choice of his people.

Joe(but you knew that. :-) ) Nation
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2011 05:04 am
Any thoughts on this?

http://wakeupfromyourslumber.com/blog/andie531/gaddafis-son-natos-goal-control-libyas-wealth

Quote:
It isn’t just Libya’s black gold (oil) that the West wants, but Libya’s “blue gold” – that Nubian Sandstone Aquifer System, the only fresh water source of its kind that remains in North Africa and the Middle East, a region now experiencing a permanent drought. As famine sets in (famine has already begun in East Africa) that Libyan aquifer will become as valuable as gold. Two French water firms, the largest in the world (Veolia and Suez S.A.) want to own that aquifer, since they will make countless billions in profit from food grown from the water. Many books have been written about the escalating global water wars. Every IMF or World Bank loan is issued on the condition that the victim nation sells its water supplies to private investors. The human race can survive without oil if necessary, but not without water.