Do you like McDonalds

nutri

Fri 30 Jan, 2015 10:05 am
@1truepicture,
McDonald's is convenient, but by no means good. It is mediocre at best. I think many people go there out of it being a fast meal, relatively cheap, that will be the same taste every time you go (no mater where you go).
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 30 Jan, 2015 10:10 am
Let's not forget the toys. How many fast food outlets give toys to children?

Quote:
McDonald's is the world's largest distributor of toys, with one included in 20% of all sales.

http://www.businessinsider.com/facts-about-mcdonalds-blow-your-mind-2011-11?op=1&IR=T
0 Replies

gungasnake

Fri 30 Jan, 2015 10:40 am
In most places you can have a decent meal at a decent restaurant or buffet for no more than a dollar or so more than lunch at McDonalds. Pretty easy choice.
cicerone imposter

Fri 30 Jan, 2015 11:51 am
@gungasnake,
Where do you live?
panzade

Fri 30 Jan, 2015 12:51 pm
Quote:
Get ready, America: McDonald's new CEO is British and he's bringing his fast food turnaround experience from across the pond.

You're not likely to see McDonald's change French fries to "chips" stateside, but you may see a stronger emphasis on healthier, more fresh foods -- a direction in which McDonald's and other food brands are already heading.

Steve Easterbrook, an accountant by training, became chief executive of McDonald’s U.K. in 2006, when the brand was struggling with the public's perception of unhealthy food and low-wage jobs. In the year that he was promoted as head of McDonald's in northern Europe in 2008, sales rose 10 percent at the 1,200 U.K. McDonald’s.
ehBeth

Fri 30 Jan, 2015 12:55 pm
@gungasnake,
agree
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Fri 30 Jan, 2015 01:04 pm
@panzade,
Actually, he went to my old Grammar school.

Wonder if I'll get a discount now.
izzythepush

Fri 30 Jan, 2015 03:18 pm
@Lordyaswas,
They're going to need a lot of batter.
0 Replies

roger

Fri 30 Jan, 2015 03:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I live in Farmington, NM as you probably know. Honestly, I can have breakfast at Denny's for under a dollar of the McDonalds price. Now, I'm going to tip the waitstaff, so that changes the total out of pocket cost, but still, it's very competitive. Try it at your nearest Denny's. Biscuit & Gravy breakfast - $4.00. Coffee adds another two bucks. Compare to McDonald's Bacon, Egg and Cheese breakfast which includes a thing they call a hashbrown at over $5.00.
cicerone imposter

Fri 30 Jan, 2015 03:47 pm
@roger,
Don't forgot that the cost of living is very high here, and the minimum wage is $10.30/hr.
hawkeye10

Fri 30 Jan, 2015 04:05 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I live in Farmington, NM as you probably know. Honestly, I can have breakfast at Denny's for under a dollar of the McDonalds price. Now, I'm going to tip the waitstaff, so that changes the total out of pocket cost, but still, it's very competitive. Try it at your nearest Denny's. Biscuit & Gravy breakfast - $4.00. Coffee adds another two bucks. Compare to McDonald's Bacon, Egg and Cheese breakfast which includes a thing they call a hashbrown at over $5.00.

Breakfast is by far McD's highest profit margin daypart. I have heard that their food cost on breakfast in all the way down into the mid teens. For comparison for all of operations food/paper costs are 34% of sales.
0 Replies

Ragman

Fri 30 Jan, 2015 04:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Huh? I thought in So. CAlif. it was $9/hr (unless tipped):

http://www.minimum-wage.org/states.asp?state=California

{edit: Oh I see now..Mountain View CA just raised its local area min wage:"Mountain View adopted a minimum wage of $10.30 per hour on Oct. 9, with a goal to reach $15 by 2018."}

Back to the subject at hand, I can't eat anything on McDonald's menu. Denny's I can eat a few things. I've 'ruined' myself for life with my no red meat diet and food choices. That isn't to say I won't eat organically raised chicken sausage and some forms of uncured bacon (no nitrate) now and then, but only if I make it for myself.
0 Replies

roger

Fri 30 Jan, 2015 04:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Don't forgot that the cost of living is very high here, and the minimum wage is $10.30/hr.

Is that relevant, though? I'm making something of an assumption that if higher wages in a certain area affect wages and prices, it would affect menu prices for both the stores under comparison. I don't know. Maybe one has national pricing and the other is based on local wages, etc. It makes sense to me that both companies would be equally impacted.
0 Replies

panzade

Fri 30 Jan, 2015 07:33 pm
If you're interested.
The Economist magazine set up a world-wide Big Mac index to measure currency value.
http://www.economist.com/content/big-mac-index
Then it was taken a step further in this chart that deals with minimum wage all around the world.
http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/5212353aecad049e1c000020-800-/big-mac-minimum-wage.png
cicerone imposter

Fri 30 Jan, 2015 07:48 pm
@panzade,
Informative; thanks for sharing. It makes sense to use Big Mac for their analysis.
0 Replies

LoneJogger

Thu 4 Feb, 2016 01:58 pm
@hawkeye10,
Honestly, there are way too many factors to consider when going to McDonald's - chiefly the time of day and the staff on duty at that particular location. I mean, if you don't like McDonald's, that's one thing but even if you like it, you can have a negative experience. There's some things on their menu that are poison (ie. anything with their fish) but I really like the secret menu item, the Mc10:35.
tsarstepan

Thu 4 Feb, 2016 02:01 pm
@LoneJogger,
It's so cute that you replied to a 4 and a half year old post.
LoneJogger

Fri 5 Feb, 2016 10:46 am
@tsarstepan,
LOL I guess these are the pitfalls of joining a forum without a clear mind!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 5 Feb, 2016 11:35 am
@tsarstepan,
c'mon
be fair
the last post on the thread was a year ago

anyway

good thread

Set and I went to McD's on NYE (we are high rollers!) I had coupons and there was free transit. We took the dog on the bus - rode across town to a McD's in a groovy neighbourhood. Had 2 for 1 1/4 lbrs with cheese. Set had a coffee. We sat on a bench, ate our burgers and then went for a long walk before heading home. The burgers were ok. I prefer (ok, I do it like 2x a year) to order kiddie burgers dressed as big macs. The fries were as good as ever - esp using the hot mustard dipping sauce Smile It was a fun meal, not a great meal.
cicerone imposter

Fri 5 Feb, 2016 01:34 pm
@ehBeth,
We go to McD's for the senior coffee most mornings. Their coffee is very good.
0 Replies