Do you like McDonalds

cicerone imposter

Tue 6 Jun, 2017 04:13 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Congrats! Excellent progress.
Finn dAbuzz

Tue 6 Jun, 2017 04:18 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I never reached 200, but I hit 199 and that's when I decided I needed to do something.

Much to my wife's frustration, it really wasn't that hard and the 40 pounds dropped off in about 6 to 8 months.

I'm now at 162 so I put 3 pounds back on but in over two years, I don't feel guilty, and really, at 159 I was looking too thin.
chai2

Tue 6 Jun, 2017 04:38 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
besides above the ground vegetables.
I couldnt live without tmaters and sugar pod peas, lettuce, and yellow beans.
Those are all above ground veggies. Dont tell me theres something rong with em.

I just looked those veggies up. This is based on either a cup of it, or 4 oz (100 grams, but let's call it 4 oz)

When I logged all my foods for the first few months, after I was in the groove I'd keep it around 25 net carbs a day, or 5 to 8 carbs a meal. I'm sure I'm still hanging around there. At first I thought that was crazy. NowI can't remember why I thought it would be hard. I had people on another forum say they did less than that and were very happy. Now I see what they mean.

If I were to eat something like bread, I'd go out of ketosis completely. It's not like when you skip a day or 2 of exercise, no biggie. It's like skipping exercise for 2 months. You have to be patient to get back in the groove. Like a couple days.

Thing is, you can't think you can have a meal with no net carbs, thinking you can double up on the next and God forbid, have a sweet potato. For insulin resistance you need to keep carbs steady. I'm pretty insulin sensitive now, but it doesn't take more than a couple of days of having too many net carbs at one particular time to raise morning readings.

Anyway....

Tomatoes: 1 cup sliced - 5 net carbs
Sugar snap peas: 4 oz - 6 net carbs
A head of Bibb lettuce - 3 net carbs
Yellow Beans : 4 oz - 5 net carbs

If I'm going to be having tomatoes, brussel sprouts, a couple cups of cabbage or the like and I was planning on another veg, I would choose avocado, mushroom, zoodles or spinach that are all very low net carbs. It's a balance, and not that difficult. Especially if you doctor them up with bacon. Very Happy

Be careful when you say you "couldn't live without something" Wink

0 Replies

chai2

Tue 6 Jun, 2017 04:39 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

What about canned vegetables? Read the label and discover that a 14oz can of green beans contains 3 1/2 servings. What are you supposed to do with the final one half serving, considering you seldom have 1/2 a dinner guest.

I know you're joking, but I'd hate to be the person whose so obsessed they couldn't figure that one out.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 6 Jun, 2017 05:09 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Thts what I felt at 235. I do a glycemic index diet ,I think Chai;s on the PALEO diet.

I still enjpy eating and Ive mostly relied upon portion control nd "Banning the white things". I still pig out on ice cream maybe once every two weeks(.Now is strawberry season so I eat strawberries in a mixture of yogurt with SPLENDAH).
farmerman

Tue 6 Jun, 2017 05:11 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
It took me about a year so its pretty much the same. Ive known these folks whove really dumped weight in two months but gined it back (nd more) inanother year
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Tue 6 Jun, 2017 05:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Hi, CI, nice to see you.
I should have added that I may be 5' 5" 1/2, but probably have shrunk.
Balance is a recent problem, sort of complicated so I won't go on about it, just that now I'm careful.
0 Replies

roger

Tue 6 Jun, 2017 05:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Great! I just knew it wasn't because they thought most people would read the carbs per serving and mentally just assume that was carbs per can. Like canned soft drinks look pretty reasonable till you notice there are something like two servings par can and most people drink the whole thing.
farmerman

Tue 6 Jun, 2017 05:50 pm
@roger,
Potato chips were my weakness. I would lways eat the other guys serving first. That way the bag wouldnt go to waste in case the other guy failed to show up.
roger

Tue 6 Jun, 2017 05:56 pm
@farmerman,
Hey, dehydrated potatoes and lots of grease to make the salt stick to the chips. What's not to like - except for being in a near coma for hours after finishing the bag?
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Tue 6 Jun, 2017 05:58 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Yeah, it's almost a pleasure to worry about being too thin..

I have another a2k friend who has slowly (I think) lost the pounds and looks terrific, but I don't want to tattle tale. One more had band surgery.

On McD's, there was one at the end of our street over the 25 years we lived there and we never went in - both of us liked family type restaurants of whatever ethnic foods, sometimes quite far away, and sometimes got to be friends of the owners over time. Lots of food writers in LA over the years..
I lied, I know J would eat with his co workers when he worked for UPS. But those guys met at great breakfast places...
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Tue 6 Jun, 2017 06:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I might have met you in 2004, but don't remember how hefty I was. Those were the years of all the surgeries, blah blah blah. Anyway, time passed and things improved.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Tue 6 Jun, 2017 06:33 pm
@farmerman,
I'm more like you, fm, though I'm not mocking chai's takes.
I did once work for an md phd who was into things like muscle physiology and rheumatology & immunology. I eventually worked for him, head tech, that's my name, and just before I left to go for a whole new field, landscape architecture, where I could be lead, his labs expanded, almost exploded in usefulness.

Had I stayed, I'd be rich. Always with the wrong decisions.

I bring this up since I remember him warning Gail (work pal) about ketones.

This was, gah, pushing 50 years ago, but that man was smart. Too bad I was distracted by work as I now wonder what he said and I don't get to ask him.
0 Replies

chai2

Tue 6 Jun, 2017 08:26 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I think Chai;s on the PALEO diet.

Not Paleo, Keto.

There are some differences. I don't cut out dairy, except for milk. I eat quite a bit of cheese, and will use cream in my occassional diet barq's root beer to make a root beer float. Milk is high in carbs, cheese isn't. Cream has carbs but you use so little of it.

Paleo will eat root vegetables like sweet potato, potatoes, other tubers. Keto avoids that. I will eat some carrot, as an accent.

Keto is more concerned with getting adequate fat, as in 70-75% of your calories. While Paleo is generally high fat, some people that eat that way aren't eating that way.

Most people, including me, think of Paleo as eating like a caveman. Keto is I guess a refinement of that. Me personally, I actively look for protein sources that aren't meat. I eat quite a few eggs, and cheese. I get most of my fat from those items, and avocados, olives and olive and avocado oil, and butter.
edgarblythe

Tue 6 Jun, 2017 08:55 pm
I eat lots of butter, some whole milk, no cheese or sour cream.
I eat less grains these days.
Try to eat a small handful of walnuts daily.
Eat some green salads without dressing or vinegar.
I put fresh moringa leaves in many dishes.
I eat beef, chicken, bacon, sausage, the two latter in moderation. Don't cut off much of the fat.
Lots of berries and fruit.
Had spaghetti for lunch today.
I don't do sauces much.
0 Replies

chai2

Tue 6 Jun, 2017 09:10 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Potato chips were my weakness. I would lways eat the other guys serving first. That way the bag wouldnt go to waste in case the other guy failed to show up.

2 words for you. Pork rinds.

They also work great in nachos, instead of chips, and as croutons in salad or soup.

Stick with me kid.
Fil Albuquerque

Tue 6 Jun, 2017 09:18 pm
Crap for crap Burger King XL triple bacon burger is my deal.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 03:45 am
@chai2,
I tried pork rinds when I was toying with the Paleo diet ****. I found that I just didnt like em. Maybe in something where only the crunch is retained, but the flavor of the pork rind is kinda vile and it stays with you(not in a pleasant way like a chili dog either).
Ive actually givn up the potato chip because I can see it was my road to perdition and weight gain.

0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 04:04 am
@chai2,
Ill look into the ketosis diet. Ive always looked at ketosis as a BAAAD state.

My diet , was based upon moderation of the portion
3meals a day with lunch the biggy
no white stuff (except the egg), no wite bread,pasta,taters,rice, (I limit milk just with cereal) etc
as much fruit as I like
NO sodas (even diet), just flavored water like Fruit 2O
constant ingredients include onions and mushrooms
no plants I cant grow in my garden.
Meat is a center piece in about 1/2 the meals. Its either a flavoring or is absent in the other half. Bacon and Brats are a staple in the met department.

I based my weight loss plan on reading about eating for diabetes and Glycemic indexes and I mixed and matched. Its easy to remember, no math necessary (Unless we want to be obsessive and count vegetables)

I do waay more exrecise and I usually park about 1/2 mile away from my destination.
except when Im in the Northern part of the state on field work, I am aware of the black bears who have a slightly different diet.

chai2

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 09:51 am
@farmerman,
You may be mistaking it for ketoacidosis, which is indeed bad.

That's something that occurs with people who have Type 1 diabetes. Type 1 people produce no insulin at all.

Type 2 people would only get it if they were really off the rails with compliance as far as their treatment.

Unless you're some kind of elite athelete that's also starving themselves, or someone who is really going out of their way trying to f*ck themselves up, it's not a worry.

What is a worry is a lot of us wearing out our pancreas by forcing it to produce more insulin, for a long period of time, destroying its beta cell and making us diabetic.

In a nutshell, excess insulin causes us to gain weight. Insulin makes you hungry, so you eat more carbs, so your pancreas is forced to produce more insulin, which makes you hungy, so you eat more carbs...

You stop eating carbs, your pancreas can rest.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/30/9d/0b/309d0b162717a21549f23f8b28722cb9.jpg

This example is simplified of course, but you get the idea....

https://d30b2uadky41tr.cloudfront.net/Blog/image.axd?picture=%2F2014%2F03%2Fketosistix_graph.jpg

http://333oee3bik6e1t8q4y139009mcg.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/KETOSIS_HowItWorksInfographic1.png

https://i1.wp.com/jessmessblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/science-bitch.jpg?fit=666%2C680
0 Replies