We went to war over THIS?

Wilso

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 12:14 am
Re: Dead and wounded Iraqis
pistoff wrote:
Dead and wounded Iraqis don't matter much if anything to most people, especially Americans. If no Americans had been killed or wounded there, Iraq would have been a footnote in the News.

You're American, and you obviously DO care. Maybe there's some more out there.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 08:42 am
Re: Dead and wounded Iraqis
Wilso wrote:
pistoff wrote:
Dead and wounded Iraqis don't matter much if anything to most people, especially Americans. If no Americans had been killed or wounded there, Iraq would have been a footnote in the News.

You're American, and you obviously DO care. Maybe there's some more out there.

Thankfully, there are plenty of us!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 09:16 am
Yeah, good thing.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 02:22 pm
Frontline last night was about the Kay team. NO WMD, NO PROGRAMS, DARNED FEW PLANS. In addition, there was footage of Bush's speech at the UN, where he made the comment implying the threat was "imminent," since the only warning Hussein had WMD might be "mushroom clouds." The perfect way to scare the American public into approving any little war you care to pepetrate.

Chasing Saddam's WMDs
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 02:40 pm
Hobitbob Two very interesting conclusions culled from your link.

What are some of the challenges that the ISG confronts in its search for WMD evidence in Iraq?

• Hunting for WMD No Longer Seems A Priority
In a December 2003 television interview, President Bush seemed to suggest that with Saddam Hussein captured, actually finding his weapons no longer mattered. And polls indicate that most Americans also don't seem to care whether the weapons are discovered or not.

What's at stake if the ISG is not able to complete a thorough investigation into what Iraq had -- or didn't have?

And if Iraq never possessed active WMD capability, there are important lessons for policymakers and the intelligence community. One lesson would be that the West's containment policy during most of the 1990s was more effective than had been realized. Another lesson would be the importance of having inspectors on the ground. From 1998 through 2002, the West had to rely on satellite pictures or information from Iraqi exiles and defectors. Much of the information provided by exiles and defectors has been proven false.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 07:32 pm
Quote:
David Kay: Outgoing Inspector Says Iraq Likely Had No Banned Arms

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: January 25, 2004

WASHINGTON (AP) -- U.S. intelligence agencies need to explain why their research indicated Iraq possessed banned weapons before the American-led invasion, says the outgoing top U.S. inspector, who now believes Saddam Hussein had no such arms.

"I don't think they exist,'' David Kay said Sunday. "The fact that we found so far the weapons do not exist -- we've got to deal with that difference and understand why.'' [..]

Kay said his predictions were not "coming back to haunt me in the sense that I am embarrassed. They are coming back to haunt me in the sense of 'Why could we all be so wrong?'''

The White House stuck by its assertions that illicit weapons will be found in Iraq but had no additional response on Sunday to Kay's remarks. [..]

"There were scientists and engineers working on developing weapons or weapons concepts that they had not moved into actual production,'' Kay said. "But in some areas, for example producing mustard gas, they knew all the answers, they had done it in the past, and it was a relatively simple thing to go from where they were to starting to produce it.''

The Iraqis had not decided to begin producing such weapons at the time of the invasion, he concluded. [..]

Kay's comments echoed those of dozens of Iraqi scientists who, in recent interviews with The Associated Press, claimed they had not seen or worked on weapons of mass destruction in years.

Only a handful of Iraqi scientists who worked in former bioweapons and missile programs remained in custody by the time Kay left Iraq in December. Some of the detained scientists have been held since April and Kay's conclusions were likely to raise their hopes for release.

Might be the right time to remember who Kay was ... when he was sent to Iraq to find the WMD, some opponents expressed doubts about the choice of man. After all, Kay was very much the President's man, and had been "a ubiquitous presence on the cable news networks, backing the president's assertions [..] during the run-up to the invasion of Iraq". Kay was the embodiment of the belief in Iraqi WMD. If he's now lost it ...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 07:35 pm
Sofia wrote:
A President, when faced with such overwhelming evidence (tapes of Saddam discussing his WMDs), should act. If the information he trusts, and other Presidents have trusted is wrong, who's fault is that?

If he was warned extensively about the unreliability of that info at the time, it's his. This quote especially from the above-cited report:

Quote:
Hans Blix, the former chief U.N. inspector whose work was heavily criticized by Kay and ended when the United States went to war with Iraq, said Sunday the United States should have known the intelligence was flawed last year when leads followed up by U.N. inspectors didn't produce any results.

"I was beginning to wonder what was going on,'' he told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "Weren't they wondering too? If you find yourself on a train that's going in the wrong direction, its best to get off at the next stop.''
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 11:57 pm
Right
"And polls indicate that most Americans also don't seem to care whether the weapons are discovered or not."

I ran a Poll and it said that most Americans are ignorant and stupid.

If it can be proven that this Admin. knew that there were no WMDs, no nexus between Saddam and Al Q. and no immenent threat there may be a case of criminality. A few candidates are now calling for an investigation of just that. Blair should be investigated , as well.

Those that think that the reasons pounded to the American and Brits for invading Iraq are no longer relevant are wrong!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 03:59 am
Re: Right
pistoff wrote:
"And polls indicate that most Americans also don't seem to care whether the weapons are discovered or not."

I ran a Poll and it said that most Americans are ignorant and stupid.

If it can be proven that this Admin. knew that there were no WMDs, no nexus between Saddam and Al Q. and no immenent threat there may be a case of criminality. A few candidates are now calling for an investigation of just that. Blair should be investigated , as well.

Those that think that the reasons pounded to the American and Brits for invading Iraq are no longer relevant are wrong!

Yeah, I love that bit. They were wrong, so just change the reason after the fact. The ends justifies the means, and they can do whatever they want.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 05:10 am
maybe not
Just maybe they won't get away with lying to Congress and the American people. This lie is just a bit more serious than "I did not have sexual relations with that woman." This lie got people killed and maimed, cost $180 Billion and screwed up Iraq.

I've been reading that the Brits & Aussies aren't too happy about it either.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 05:13 am
I think it's more of an issue in Britain. The dependable apathy of the Australian public is quickly reducing it's importance, along with the powerful conservative slant of our media.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 07:25 am
This disgusting group shall pass.

This disgusting episode in American history shall pass.

Every once in a while, people like this come into power. We have to recognize that -- and have confidence that the overall structure of our system will see us through it.

We can only hope that the other countries of the world will not so quickly acquiesce to the intrigues and shenanigans of "the world's only super power."

And finally, we can hope that the people of the United States only elect leaders who realize that true super power status has damn near nothing to do with "power" but with "restraint."
0 Replies

angie

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 09:07 am

Frank,

On exactly what do you base your hope ?

Many American voters don't have a clue and prefer it that way. Others may actually care but limit their source of information to FOX NEWS TV(enough said).

When you say "we have to have confidence in the overall structure of our system", doesn't that structure presuppose an interested and informed electorate ? And doesn't it require, at least to some degree, an unbiased media capable of reaching a majority of voters ?

I truly wished I shared you optimism ......... (sigh).

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 09:25 am
angie wrote:

Frank,

On exactly what do you base your hope ?

Many American voters don't have a clue and prefer it that way. Others may actually care but limit their source of information to FOX NEWS TV(enough said).

When you say "we have to have confidence in the overall structure of our system", doesn't that structure presuppose an interested and informed electorate ? And doesn't it require, at least to some degree, an unbiased media capable of reaching a majority of voters ?

I truly wished I shared you optimism ......... (sigh).

Me too.

I think you are being unduly pessimistic on this occasion, Angie.

I truly understand it -- but really, I think the electorate is more informed and more concerned than you do.

I hope I'm right.

I hope you hope I'm right also. :wink:
0 Replies

angie

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 01:51 pm

I cannot remember a time when I was ever more willing and eager to be wrong. Believe me, I have tried to be optimistic, but that's just not how I'm feeling. Sad

I am currently working for Dean (though I will work for anyone else running against Bush). I can easily dialogue with informed people, and they invariably do not support this administration, but I have sadly found that those who are not informed are simply not willing to listen. Or don't care.

Still, I will hang on - there's too much at stake not to.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 01:54 pm
angie wrote:

I cannot remember a time when I was ever more willing and eager to be wrong. Believe me, I have tried to be optimistic, but that's just not how I'm feeling. Sad

I am currently working for Dean (though I will work for anyone else running against Bush). I can easily dialogue with informed people, and they invariably do not support this administration, but I have sadly found that those who are not informed are simply not willing to listen. Or don't care.

Still, I will hang on - there's too much at stake not to.

My good wishes are with you.

I will be voting for Ex-Gov. Not George Bush if he prevails. Short of that, I will be voting for Sen. Not George Bush or Ret'd Gen. Not George Bush -- or even the Rev. Not George Bush if it comes to that.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 01:59 pm

or even Donald "not-george-bush" Duck !!! Razz
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 02:06 pm
Hell, I'd be willing to vote for Ex-President George Bush if he ran against his dim-bulb son. Notice how quiet the old man has been lately?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 02:11 pm
Same here Dart.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 02:22 pm
nimh wrote:
Quote:
David Kay: Outgoing Inspector Says Iraq Likely Had No Banned Arms

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: January 25, 2004

WASHINGTON (AP) -- U.S. intelligence agencies need to explain why their research indicated Iraq possessed banned weapons before the American-led invasion, says the outgoing top U.S. inspector, who now believes Saddam Hussein had no such arms.

"I don't think they exist,'' David Kay said Sunday. "The fact that we found so far the weapons do not exist -- we've got to deal with that difference and understand why.'' [..]

Kay said his predictions were not "coming back to haunt me in the sense that I am embarrassed. They are coming back to haunt me in the sense of 'Why could we all be so wrong?'''

The White House stuck by its assertions that illicit weapons will be found in Iraq but had no additional response on Sunday to Kay's remarks. [..]

"There were scientists and engineers working on developing weapons or weapons concepts that they had not moved into actual production,'' Kay said. "But in some areas, for example producing mustard gas, they knew all the answers, they had done it in the past, and it was a relatively simple thing to go from where they were to starting to produce it.''

The Iraqis had not decided to begin producing such weapons at the time of the invasion, he concluded. [..]

Kay's comments echoed those of dozens of Iraqi scientists who, in recent interviews with The Associated Press, claimed they had not seen or worked on weapons of mass destruction in years.

Only a handful of Iraqi scientists who worked in former bioweapons and missile programs remained in custody by the time Kay left Iraq in December. Some of the detained scientists have been held since April and Kay's conclusions were likely to raise their hopes for release.

Might be the right time to remember who Kay was ... when he was sent to Iraq to find the WMD, some opponents expressed doubts about the choice of man. After all, Kay was very much the President's man, and had been "a ubiquitous presence on the cable news networks, backing the president's assertions [..] during the run-up to the invasion of Iraq". Kay was the embodiment of the belief in Iraqi WMD. If he's now lost it ...

I find the slant of your article to be profound. Thus I have found a brace to keep the lean from going too far...

Brace

David Kay wrote:
CNN) -- Two days after resigning as the Bush administration's top weapons inspector in Iraq, David Kay said Sunday that his group found no evidence Iraq had stockpiled unconventional weapons before the U.S.-led invasion in March.

He said U.S. intelligence services owe President Bush an explanation for having concluded that Iraq had.

"My summary view, based on what I've seen, is we're very unlikely to find large stockpiles of weapons," he said on National Public Radio's "Weekend Edition." "I don't think they exist."

It was the consensus among the intelligence agencies that Iraq had such weapons that led Bush to conclude that it posed an imminent threat that justified the U.S.-led invasion, Kay said.

"I actually think the intelligence community owes the president rather than the president owing the American people," he said.

"We have to remember that this view of Iraq was held during the Clinton administration and didn't change in the Bush administration," Kay said.

"It is not a political 'gotcha' issue. It is a serious issue of 'How you can come to a conclusion that is not matched in the future?'"

Other countries' intelligence agencies shared the U.S. conclusion that Iraq had stockpiled such weapons, though most disagreed with the United States about how best to respond.

...(cont)...

Kay alleges Syria connection

Kay also raised the possibility -- one he first discussed in a weekend interview with "The Sunday Telegraph" of London -- that clues about banned weapons programs might reside across Iraq's western border.

"There is ample evidence of movement to Syria before the war -- satellite photographs, reports on the ground of a constant stream of trucks, cars, rail traffic across the border. We simply don't know what was moved," Kay said.

But, he said, "the Syrian government there has shown absolutely no interest in helping us resolve this issue."

Kay acknowledged that the truth might never be revealed. Widespread looting in Baghdad after the invasion destroyed many government records. "There's always going to be unresolved ambiguity here."

0 Replies