We went to war over THIS?

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 10:13 am
Anyone else notice the drift in presidential rhetoric that has taken place over the past year? Here's what Bush said in last year's State of the Union Address:
It is up to Iraq to show exactly where it is hiding its banned weapons, lay those weapons out for the world to see, and destroy them as directed.

So, in other words, Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. And in his May 1, 2003 speech declaring an end to "major hostilities," Bush reiterated his pledge to find those weapons:
We've begun the search for hidden chemical and biological weapons and already know of hundreds of sites that will be investigated.

But when the weapons stubbornly refused to be found, the rhetoric shifted. Now, it's weapons of mass destruction programs that were the real problem, as Bush pointed out in remarks at the Oct. 28, 2003 press conference:
David Kay's report said that Saddam Hussein was in material breach of 1441, which would have been casus belli. In other words, he had a weapons program, he's disguised a weapons program, he had ambitions.

And now we have this from yesterday's State of the Union address:
Already, the Kay Report identified dozens of weapons of mass destruction-related program activities.

So we've gone from "weapons of mass destruction" to "weapons of mass destruction programs" to, finally, "weapons of mass destruction-related program activities." What's next? Attempted weapons of mass destruction-related program activities? Weapons of mass destruction-related program activity office supplies? How many qualifiers will ultimately be larded onto "weapons of mass destruction" before the administration finally settles on a definition that could justify going to war?

So, my question: if you supported the war when it was about "weapons of mass destruction," would you have supported it if it was about "weapons of mass destruction-related program activities"?

EDIT: cleared up some stylistic errors
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,605 • Replies: 100
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 10:22 am
These retro decisions are really tough. It may have depended on the perceived likelyhood of fruitation of those "weapons of mass destruction-related program activities."
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 10:27 am
The fact that Dubya and his handlers are liars is probably not especially important.

The fact that Dubya and his handlers are goddam liars is probably not especially important.

The fact that Dubya and his handlers lied in order to do what they felt like doing -- and didn't think they could get away with doing if they didn't lie -- is probably not especially important.

The fact that so goddam many citizens of this country actually buy into any of Dubya's bullshit -- and are convinced that he and his handlers did not really lie -- IS VERY IMPORTANT.

How do you wake these people up?

Beats the hell out of me. I've never slept that soundly.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 10:39 am
Last night my kids asked why does he talk to the people like they're stupid? Well... you have to remember who is doing the speaking... but you could say he sure does know his audience... hmm. What to do? I'm baffled. People thrive on fear I guess.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 10:44 am
Traditionally most Americans take a detached attitude to foreign affairs unless it affects them directly, and so far Iraq has not. It is this "what-ever" attitude that allows Bush to get away with his outrageous prevarications.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 11:00 am
Answer to your first question (thread title):

Uh.....yeah. I mean, yes, yes we did.

Answer to your second question:

I didn't support going to war in the first place, so even if they had already found caches of weapons it wouldn't make me feel better.

This is what it looks like when people lie, do something reckless and stupid, it turns out badly and they resort to more lies to try to cover it up.

I give the American voter a bit more credit than some of you do. I believe they are more cognizant of this administration shell game than we think.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 11:04 am
Sure hope so.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 11:06 am
We'll see in November.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 11:07 am
Frankly I was very amused at the people buying the WMD specter. They were gullible to degrees I had not thought possible.

To me this isn't an issue of "hindsight". The overwhelming majority of the world was not stupid enough to buy the apocalyptic scenarios being touted without seeing at least a modicum of evidence to back it up.

Without the post 9/11 irrational paranoia most Americans wouldn't have bought it either.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 11:09 am
That's interesting. Is the irrational paranoia over? Does that spell doom for Bush, if so?
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 11:10 am
Yes I think fear is the stronger factor working here rather than the usual America "whatever attitude".
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 11:10 am
I couldn't bring myself to watch or listen to Bush, but I gather what he had to say was underwhelming. I listened to some polticians on NPR afterward, and these included key Republican senators (McConnell and Frist) who both suggested that he didn't need to lay out any bold new initiatives, because he'd already accomplished so much.

Scary thought...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 11:14 am
I'm with our resident rapper on this one. I'm sure PDiddie will recall, as may others, that i stated before the Shrub's dirty little war that i didn't care if the lunatic sunuvabitch did have weapons of mass destruction, he was contained, and war was unnecessary.

I've noted that in these fora, many members with conservative sympathies have already made the rhetorical shift, and now avoid any discussion of weapons of mass destruction. They take a ludicrous self-righteous attitude about removing a dangerous dictator, to end the suffering of the Iraqis, as if that were somehow noble, but the same nobility does not oblige us to intervene in the Sudan, in the Congo, in Myanmar, etc.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 11:23 am
sozobe wrote:
That's interesting. Is the irrational paranoia over? Does that spell doom for Bush, if so?

I think it's subsiding but it will get booster shots with a "remember the Alamo" type reference every now and then.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 11:27 am
Yeah, but the references are themselves becoming SO redundant that I think their power may be well diluted.

Again, sure hope so.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 11:27 am
Joe, no offense but, if you're going to point out a lie, get it all:

It wasn't just that Saddam had WMDs.

It was that those WMDs posed an IMMINENT threat to the security of the US.
The threat was IMMINENT.

IMMINENT !

Which is why we couldn't wait to build a coalition.

Acquiunk gets at the heart of the matter:
"Traditionally most Americans take a detached attitude to foreign affairs unless it affects them directly".

Traditionally, most Americans take a detached attitude to EVERYTHING unless it affects them directly.

"I get health care, so that's not an issue."
"My kids are in decent schools so tough luck for kids who aren't."
"I have a job, so no big deal there."
"The deficit? Uh, I don't really get that stuff at all."
"My son/daughter didn't die in Iraq, so it doesn't matter why we went there."
"Terrorists are stronger and more anti-America now than ever, but hey, are you ready for some FOOTBALL!"

It's called apathy.

Clearly, the Republicans know that. The Dems still haven't figured it out. When they do, they'll know how to tell the right lies at the right time, they'll know how to focus on "issues" that have a complexity level in keeping with the average American's 30 second attention span, and they'll know how to suck up to the self-perpetuating corporate interests in this country.

Then, perhaps, they'll be able to win an election and try to get something done in keeping with true decent caring American values.

Nah.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 11:29 am
sozobe wrote:
Yeah, but the references are themselves becoming SO redundant that I think their power may be well diluted.

Again, sure hope so.

Dunno, most people are stupid. They probably see it differently than you do.
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 11:57 am
Joe, if I had a hat, I'd tip it to you.

You hit a home run with that post. Nothing more effective than taking the words directly from the mouth of a liar and shedding light on it for all to see.

If there are any posts that should be encouraged, its this kind. To the point, fairly brief, effective, accurate, cited, and straightfoward. Bush has mislead and straight up lied on so many things, I think posts of this nature should be done on them as well.

Anyone else up to the task?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 12:04 pm
Bush did say one thing last night that I can agree with: Athletes shouldn't use steroids. Of course, this has nothing to do with what a President should be doing, but still. Credit where it's due, I say...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 12:05 pm
Re: We went to war over THIS?
joefromchicago wrote:
So we've gone from "weapons of mass destruction" to "weapons of mass destruction programs" to, finally, "weapons of mass destruction-related program activities." What's next? Attempted weapons of mass destruction-related program activities? Weapons of mass destrution-related activity office supplies?

LOL!!
0 Replies