What is "Pool admissions" here?

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 12:05 am
"Summer 2010 was a hot one for New York City. Spring came early, and once the warm weather set in, it didn't lift for most of the summer. A heat wave in July brought temperatures to the triple digits fro several days, in and around town. People were desperater for relief. Hydrants were hacked; hoses, uncoiled. Side streets became mini water parks. Pool admissions were up." -----Joe Palca & Flora Lichtman Annoying

In this paragraph, what does the last sentense mean?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 602 • Replies: 4

View best answer, chosen by Justin Xu
Lustig Andrei
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 12:14 am
@Justin Xu,
It simply means that more people than usual visited public swimming pools, i.e. were "admitted" to the use of the pools.
Hanna nalem

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 07:00 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Excuseme, may I ask you something referred to this same book and sentence?? it's quite urgent!
What does "hydrants were hacked" mean here??
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 08:37 am
@Hanna nalem,

it means that people illegally opened fire hydrants so they could cool off from the heat...
Hanna nalem

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2013 08:27 am
@Region Philbis,
Thanks!! while, with "hoses, uncoild" does he refer to normal hoses for the garden and similar, or to hoses used again in "particular"contexts (I mean, fire accidents ect..)? Thank you for this precious help!!
0 Replies