• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,390 • Replies: 13
No top replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 05:51 pm
@hingehead,
My sympathies to his family and those that loved him.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 05:56 pm
@hingehead,
Oops, now there are 2 such topics.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 06:03 pm
@hingehead,
Oh, nuts.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 06:06 pm
Wow, he waited till the very end to turn the company over, that is dedication to the company.

A lot of guys and girls like to daydream on stage and around cameras about where tech might be going, and they market themselves as visionaries...Steve Jobs was one of the few who did the grunt work, who actually was a visionary. . I hear he was kind of an asshole too, but that is alright, the most talented among us often are.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 07:05 pm
A Titan of the consumer tech industry has left us. Hope his iPhone can get an ATT signal up there in heaven.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 07:16 pm
We'll miss you, Steve... Your child will continue...

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 07:20 pm
Quote:
Bill Gates’s full statement is included below:

“I’m truly saddened to learn of Steve Jobs’ death. Melinda and I extend our sincere condolences to his family and friends, and to everyone Steve has touched through his work.

Steve and I first met nearly 30 years ago, and have been colleagues, competitors and friends over the course of more than half our lives.

The world rarely sees someone who has had the profound impact Steve has had, the effects of which will be felt for many generations to come.

For those of us lucky enough to get to work with him, it’s been an insanely great honor. I will miss Steve immensely.”
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 07:23 pm
@jespah,
Quote:
Oops, now there are 2 such topics.

I always look in New Topics to see if something's already been posted - this is the second time I've been caught out - the lightspeedCERN also didn't appear but someone had posted it before me. Sorry.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 07:58 pm
Steve Wozniak will be on with Anderson Cooper on CNN in a few minutes.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 07:59 pm
Quote:
Following the loss of visionary Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, President Obama released this statement:

Michelle and I are saddened to learn of the passing of Steve Jobs. Steve was among the greatest of American innovators - brave enough to think differently, bold enough to believe he could change the world, and talented enough to do it.

By building one of the planet’s most successful companies from his garage, he exemplified the spirit of American ingenuity. By making computers personal and putting the internet in our pockets, he made the information revolution not only accessible, but intuitive and fun. And by turning his talents to storytelling, he has brought joy to millions of children and grownups alike. Steve was fond of saying that he lived every day like it was his last. Because he did, he transformed our lives, redefined entire industries, and achieved one of the rarest feats in human history: he changed the way each of us sees the world.

The world has lost a visionary. And there may be no greater tribute to Steve’s success than the fact that much of the world learned of his passing on a device he invented. Michelle and I send our thoughts and prayers to Steve’s wife Laurene, his family, and all those who loved him.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 08:58 pm
In the effort to promote a fair and balanced assessment:

Quote:
New Apple CEO Tim Cook has moved quickly to make his mark. He's announced a new scheme in which the world's largest company by value will match staff charity contributions dollar for dollar. It's a fine move. And perhaps Cook will continue by looking at Apple's tax affairs.

Apple is to launch the scheme for US employees from 15 September, with donations of up to $10,000 to non-profit organisations matched. Cook says: "We'll expand it to other parts of the world over time". It's not an original scheme, but it's adoption by Apple is newsworthy.

Steve Jobs
That's because former CEO Steve Jobs seemed not to favour this kind of public philanthropy. When Jobs returned to the company in 1997 he actually closed Apple's philanthropic programmes, and the Stanford Social Innovation Review dubbed Apple "one of America's least philanthropic companies" in 2007.

This is not to say that Jobs was averse to philanthropy. It's not possible to say how much he has donated to what cause privately, and U2 frontman Bono was quick to counter perceived criticism of Jobs recently, saying that under his leadership Apple had contributed significantly to the (Product) RED initiative.

But being defended by Bono in these circumstances is a bit of a double-edged sword, given the criticism the singer has received over tax avoidance. And it's that issue of tax that comes up once again when thinking through Cook's decision to shift Apple's strategy on philanthropy.

http://money.aol.co.uk/2011/09/09/apple-charity-move-leaves-tax-question/

Jobs also demanded that the I-Phone remain hostile to charity apps, and practiced sexual and language censorship of the apps it approved as any good puritan might. Jobs was a gifted visionary, and he was also an anti democracy asshole. I think fairness demands that we give him on his death credit for the talent he had and for the good he did, but also remember that he was a flawed individual like the rest of us.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 03:46 am
@hingehead,
No sweat; I think we were more or less simultaneous.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 07:07 pm
Eternal Flame

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/eternal_flame.gif
0 Replies