Getting the Last Word

Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 03:02 pm
@ossobuco,
Mmmmmm.....

http://www.britstore.co.uk/photos/Foresight_Pease_Pudding_420g.jpg

A Ham and Pease Pudden Stottie..... (Vonnie will translate if necessary)
http://i4.chroniclelive.co.uk/incoming/article1390862.ece/alternates/s615/paul-irwin-s-heartfelt-plea-has-the-geordie-classic-ham-and-pease-stottie-back-on-the-menu-at-gregg-s-stores-in-the-city-205171428.jpg
glitterbag

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 03:10 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Vonny??? Help! I'm only a Yank!
Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 03:15 pm
@glitterbag,
Vonnie is a Geordie lass, which have a totally separate language from the rest of England.

Stottie is a Geordie word.

Here is a basic lesson in Geordie.....just in case you meet someone who says they're English, but you can only understand one word in ten.

The Stottie story.....

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/ham--pease-pudding-stotties-1421678
glitterbag

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 03:43 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Wow!!! Does Izzy know about this?
Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 04:00 pm
@glitterbag,
Izzy knows about Geordies, and has probably scratched his head like the rest of us from time to time.
Both of my in-laws were Geordies, and for the first eighteen months I had to carry an English to Geordie dictionary with me when over there.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 04:18 pm
@Lordyaswas,
In 2007 Simon Pegg made a movie called Hot Fuzz. Pegg plays a policeman assigned to a small English village and some of the villagers speak in an accent he has to have translated. Most of my husbands family lives in Raleigh, North Carolina. It must have taken me 10 years to learn the speech pattern, accent and phraseology. It took them even longer to understand mine. I'm only talking about a 300 mile distance, but it was like entering another country. Actually harder than a different country, because when Americans visit other nations, the host country realizes we are from the United States, here in the United States people in Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina are not really convinced that people born in other States are really Americans.
Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 04:27 pm
@glitterbag,
This lady is very good at our main accents, and takes you through a quick guided tour.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 04:30 pm
Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 04:37 pm
@ehBeth,
That is almost Belfast!
ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 06:12 pm
@Lordyaswas,
have you got directions to get there?

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 06:16 pm
worst mosquitos I've ever experienced but it was worth it to hear this accent

glitterbag

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 07:53 pm
@ehBeth,
Wow, I live near the Bay Bridge which connects the East and West Coast of the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland and I've never heard the actual accents of the people on Tangier Island. It doesn't sound anything at all like most of the Maryland or Virginia Accents that I've heard (so far).
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 09:43 pm
@glitterbag,
The Maryland accent is quite distinct from the various Virginia accents, glitter, as you probably know. Anyone who's spent any time in Baltimore becomes aware of this.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 12:13 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Merry, I was born in Baltimore but only lived there until I was 8 months old and then my parents took me back to Iceland where my Dad was an air traffic controller. I'll come back later with the various accents, I'm fading fast and need some sleep. Nite nite folks
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 02:41 am
@glitterbag,
Nighty night, gb.

Me? I'm just orf to walk the hound.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 10:07 am
@glitterbag,
Tangier and Smith Island had very distinct accents - there were some great documentary work on them years ago. Nothing quite like it anywhere else in North America.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 12:35 pm
@ehBeth,
Smith Island is on the Maryland side. For reasons I'll never understand, the Smith Island Cake has been designated the Maryland State dessert. They bake 3 regular sized round layers, slice each layer into 3 layers and slater it with frosting. Way too sweet for me.

0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 12:40 pm
You have state desserts???
glitterbag

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 12:44 pm
@margo,
I'm afraid so. You will never guess what the State sport is, it's jousting. Once again, I don't know why. State legislators busy themselves with crap like this so they can avoid their actual duties.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 12:58 pm
@margo,
I just checked the listing of States 'food items'. Some States haven't designated anything, but the list shows Chili as the official dish of Texas, Boston Cream Pie for Massachusetts. I was happy to see not every State has succumbed to this nonsense but I'm very unhappy that Maryland decided to designate one. Especially one that very few people outside of the Eastern Shore has ever heard of.