Calif. Gov. Brown signs bill prohibiting circumcision bans

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 11:58 am
October 3, 2011
Calif. Gov. Brown signs bill prohibiting circumcision bans
By Dan Smith | The Sacramento Bee

Gov. Jerry Brown has signed a bill prohibiting cities and counties from banning male circumcision, his office announced today.

Assembly Bill 768 by Assemblyman Mike Gatto, D-Los Angeles, was inspired by a San Francisco ballot measure designed to prohibit child circumcision there. A judge in July ordered the circumcision ban off the November ballot, but Gatto's bill proceeded through the Legislature, where it passed with unanimous votes.

Gatto argued that such bans were an affront to the exercise of "personal, medical and religious freedom."

San Francisco's first-of-its-kind initiative drew national attention for targeting circumcision, removal of the male foreskin, a practice that has biblical roots and that many believe was commanded by God in a covenant with Abraham. Opponents of circumcision liken it to "genital mutilation" - the forced removal of a healthy body part from an unconsenting child.

U.S. circumcision rates have been declining for several years. Today, about half of all boys born in hospitals are circumcised, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Read more: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/10/03/125919/calif-gov-brown-signs-bill-prohibiting.html#storylink=omni_popular#ixzz1Zk6nd018
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 3,094 • Replies: 35

izzythepush

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 12:37 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Does the measure include Philistines?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 12:46 pm
Jerry's becoming a libertarian.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 12:58 pm
@izzythepush,
The history of circumstition:

http://www.circumstitions.com/Chronology.html
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 03:24 pm
My personal take is that it's an unnecessary operation. But, centuries of tradition in the name of religious belief and some concerns for health make me agree with Brown's action.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 04:42 pm
I had heard that he reached this decision because he felt government has already gone too far to interfere in the responsibilty of parents to care for their children.

If so, he's right.

There is nothing the State knows about circumcision and male infants that puts it in a far superior position than parents in determining whether the practice should be applied to the children of those parents.

There is no reason to believe that the State is more concerned for the health and well being of these children than their parents.

There is no reason to believe that if parents decide that circumcision is in the best interest of their children and proceed with it, against the best advice of the State, that the State will be forced to bear a long term burden of addressing predicable costs that would have been avoided if the practice was prohibited.

0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 04:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yes!! Religion should always come before health. After all people have been murdering others in the name of religion for thousands of years.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 04:56 pm
@RABEL222,
You die from circumcision? I better warn my brothers.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 05:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
Smile

And the Nazis need only have been more patient.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 05:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
No, from religion.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 06:14 pm
@RABEL222,
I fail to tie death by religion to the topic at hand.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 12:33 am
@edgarblythe,
Try harder!
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 04:18 am
@RABEL222,
Get rational.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 02:24 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Well, that's the long and short of it.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 11:35 am
In my own opinion, I would wonder whether any of the anti-circumcision folks are concerned that allowing circumcision would allow their neck-of-the-woods to become very Islamic in the future, OR that a ban on circumcision would prevent Christian males from converting to Islam in the future?

In other words, the present concerns against circumcision might just be a smoke-screen, in some instances, for more insidious reasons?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 11:40 am
@Foofie,
Well, some easily can get confused when they hear/read "brit milah" ...
izzythepush

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 11:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
That is so clever Walter, but it just makes me think of Bohemian Rhapsody. Wasn't Freddie Mercury a Zoroastrian? What's their take on circumcision?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 11:51 am
@izzythepush,
Also sprach Zarathustra ...
izzythepush

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 12:54 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Freddie again.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 01:06 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

In my own opinion, I would wonder whether any of the anti-circumcision folks are concerned that allowing circumcision would allow their neck-of-the-woods to become very Islamic in the future, OR that a ban on circumcision would prevent Christian males from converting to Islam in the future?

In other words, the present concerns against circumcision might just be a smoke-screen, in some instances, for more insidious reasons?

Or.....

You have just provided the anti-circumcision folks with two reasons to reconsider their position.