the after effect of recognizing the Dunning-Kruger Effect

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 10:41 pm
Something I've been struggling with lately...

The Dunning-Kruger effect states those who are intelligent recognize themselves to be inadequate, whereas those who are inadequate believe themselves to be superior.
or "he who knows does not speak, and he who speaks does not know."

So how do I become. "he who knows, does speak" without appearing arrogant? Is it possible?

Being a person who has been uncomfortable with voicing majority of my thoughts in the past, I'm beginning to be more open with my ideas (through encouragement of a close friend who has helped me see my talents and abilities). But, I realized I attained so much knowledge in the past by observing and not participating in conversations that now if I do openly express my viewpoints, would I be losing a quality I gained through not participating...? I'm not sure where I stand in this whole mix. By talking with complete confidence in my ideas, I don't want this to influence a less open mind.

From recognizing this, its been hindering me from speaking in social environments lately... so it is imperative that I shed some light on this!!

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,917 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 03:56 pm
@RisingToShine,
As long as you still listen to others AFTER you speak your opinions, then you'll lose nothing over your previous behavior.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 04:03 pm
Dunning-Kruger was exposed as a hoax. The multitude of people who believed in his babbling were labeled as being certifiably insane. Are we to believe in these findings? I, for one, do not. I believe the author of this thread has a relavant point.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 05:49 pm
@RisingToShine,
Too much analysis leads to paralysis. Be yourself.
RisingToShine

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 07:33 pm
@rosborne979,
too less of analysis leads to stupidity.
And bumbumbum what if.....
being myself consists of me critically thinking, a lot.

I balance it lovely though through music jam sessions, drawing, and goofy gestures of creativity.
No paralysis for me.
0 Replies

RisingToShine

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 07:47 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
I've found validity in the Dunning-Kruger Effect. As Albert Einstein once said, 'The difference between stupidity and intelligence, is that intelligence has its limits."
People who do not realize the grander scale to which their words are affecting their life and others as well, have no sense of filter system to speak words with patterns and therefore speak without meaning. Because they do not wish to analyze their ways but do want to be accepted, they openly speak their mess of a mind. Trying to engage in conversation with a person of such would be hopeless because you can't show them the patterns of their behavior if they weren't aware they existed in the first place. Making the intelligent man quiet in this atmosphere and not able to connect with others, leading to feeling unaccepted and not superior. The one talking is accepted and feels superior.... and wah-la stupidity beats intelligence via social environment and creating the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

my view of it anyways
0 Replies

JenM

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 10:52 am
@RisingToShine,
I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN. Finally, someone who understands! I have been struggling with this a lot lately, too. I feel relatively intelligent at times and finally maybe sure of myself and who I am (I've been doing a lot of soul searching lately, trying to figure out my strengths and weaknesses) but it is in those moments that I'm sure I must be wrong. I've read about the Dunning-Kruger Effect many times and I know there is no way I could be intelligent if I'm so sure that I am.
RisingToShine

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 10:29 pm
@JenM,
Your comment literally put a smile on my face, our relief is mutual for finding another who understands!
Acting in synchrony with who you are in every social situation is truly my most confusing subjects to master. There are so many variables included in each situation and philosophies and findings such as the dunning-kruger effect, it's hard to know when you are on the right path.
A technique I've been using lately is trying to be as present in the moment as possible by asking yourself when you feel lost for the right words is, "who am I in this moment in time?" Helps to center yourself and not worry about whether it's wrong or right, but to just be.
I think being overly aware of external influences acts as a major contribution toward not knowing who you are too. I've been working on bringing forth my own energy and trying not to rely so much on others as I usually do.
0 Replies