What is a sombrero magnet?

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 12:57 am
"Take that sombrero magnet that your friend brought back from Mexico that you've hidden under a menu on the fridge door. The sombrero, technically a 'Ferromagnet,' sticks to the fridge because of its electrons and the way they spin inside the atoms that make up the magnet."

The sombrero is a kind of hat from Mexico. Then what's the relation between a sombrero and a magent? Is sombrero magnet a specific term? And how can you hide a hat or a magent under a menu on the fridge door?

Could anyone answer these questions? Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 781 • Replies: 5
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Justin Xu
Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 01:58 am
In the United States, people often use the door of the refrigerator as a sort of bulletin board. They will put messages there, reminders to do things--and they are held in place with magnets (the door of the refrigerator is metallic) which are manufactured specifically for this purpose. What the author means is that the friend had brought back such a magnet which was encased in plastic and made to look like a sombrero. The juxtaposition of sombrero and magnet is merely fortuitous--it would be more accurate to say a magnet disguised as a sombrero.

In the image below, you see a refrigerator door to which several magnetized objects have been attached. One of them is someone wearing a sombrero--i didn't immediately find an image of a sombrero magnet, but i'm not going to spend a lot of time on this.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MOn6Tw-lx7g/TaiFxFsFnWI/AAAAAAAAAGg/nt84jBbD1Ig/s1600/001.jpg
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 02:01 am
@Justin Xu,
It would be a magnet shaped and painted like a sombrero. There are many shaped magnets, and mostly they're called refrigerator magnets, designed to hold papers and notes to a steel refrigerator.

I don't know why it would be hidden by a menu. Usually, the magnet holds notes to the door, so I would expect it to be on top.
fresco

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 02:05 am
@roger,
The menu could be a vertically folded leaflet with the magnet on the inner sheet with the outer half folded over it.
roger

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 02:07 am
@fresco,
Hey, that's right. I was thinking of a full service, tri-fold, plastic laminated menu.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 01:24 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

There are many shaped magnets, and mostly they're called refrigerator

Not over here they're not, that's way too cumbersome; fridge magnet, now that's short and sweet.
0 Replies