Every religion proven to be based upon a foundation of lies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 07:21 am
@gungasnake,
There's that faecophilia fixation again.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 08:33 am
Or as we in America would spell it, fecophilia (our spelling has evolved). However it's spelled, gunga's a sufferer.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 08:38 am
@MontereyJack,
I'm not getting into a spellathon. I've had enough of that with Set. As I'm English I will use my own spellings, just as I expect you to do the same.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 08:43 am
@David Jeffrey Spetch,
David Jeffrey Spetch wrote:

Every religion proven to be based upon a foundation of lies
Religion in general, isn't about truth, it's about faith. So being based on a foundation of lies isn't going to matter a whole lot.
Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 09:23 am
@izzythepush,
Now that's unfair . . . i've never discriminated against you because you can't spell simple words such as center or color.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 09:46 am
@rosborne979,
That's a VERY important point to be made about doctrinally-based religions. They describe the ultimate nature of Reality and implore you to believe it as an expression of faith. The mystically-oriented "religions" say that if you practice certain disciplines you may come to personally realize the ulitmate nature of Reality (that which can be realized by humans) which is indecribable or ineffable.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 01:52 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

That's a VERY important point to be made about doctrinally-based religions. They describe the ultimate nature of Reality and implore you to believe it as an expression of faith. The mystically-oriented "religions" say that if you practice certain disciplines you may come to personally realize the ulitmate nature of Reality (that which can be realized by humans) which is indecribable or ineffable.

Then can the "mystically-oriented "religions" really be classified as religions at all? Or are they just philosophies.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 02:26 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

One thing I notice... In sharp contrast to the founders of other religions, Jesus' ministry was here in this world amongst ordinary people. You will not find anything about Jesus sitting on a mountain top until he became "enlightened(TM)", sitting around in a cave for 30 years until he started to hallucinate (St. John "the devine"), flying off to heaven on a magic carpet or magic camel to receive "Allah(TM)'s" instructions for enslaving the world, using "prophecy stones" to translate a formula for brewing beer into a holy book (Joseph Smith), or anything like that at all.

Which is why as far as messiahs and prophets go, I kind of like the other guys better.

I've always had a facination with desert prophets and drug propelled Holy Men (at least the drugs if not the Holy Men).

Makes for a better character in the story.

Don't get me wrong, Jesus is a heck of a character and someone for who the term enlightened actually had relevance. I just don't believe he was any more of a manifestation of God than you or I.

There are far worse things one can do than live your life according to what he taught.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 02:27 pm
@izzythepush,
That's right...my favorite part of the story.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 03:00 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Gunga likes to focus on differences, he's a hate-filled little ****, but the truth is the main religions have got a lot more in common than not.
JLNobody

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 03:10 pm
@rosborne979,
I think of them as religions in a very particular sense (practices designed to "re-connect"/re-ligare one with the World). Western practitioners show a growing tendency to prefer the term, "practice." In a sense, I guess, they are practical philosophies rather than purely theoretical disciplines.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 03:26 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Gunga likes to focus on differences, he's a hate-filled little ****, but the truth is the main religions have got a lot more in common than not.

Not interested in your observations on Gunga, izzy.

Save them for one of your like minded pals.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 03:35 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Well if you don't want to hear it, don't discuss one of my responses to Gunga.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 03:44 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:

The foundation upon which Christianity is based is the comnmand to do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Do you fallow this commandment in such a way that you have nonbelievers wanting a piece of what you have received from Jesus, or do you do onto them as you feel that they have done onto you?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 05:18 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Well if you don't want to hear it, don't discuss one of my responses to Gunga.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYOmtSAa7UjTBZtI3FmwU3DBJmjUlO6B_kUZ90gzq-CfIXkk1pjA

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 05:38 pm
Again in the real world, being treated well or rewarded for being an asshole doesn't fix anything or cure anybody (of being an asshole).

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-o1KmDKTENEs/Tniy8PzdT9I/AAAAAAAAARI/0qkHZ2NffQ4/s1600/asshole-posters_jpeg.jpg
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 05:48 pm
Gonna take your own advice, gunga?
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 05:57 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
Again in the real world, being treated well or rewarded for being an asshole doesn't fix anything or cure anybody (of being an asshole).

Are you saying if you can't beat them you might as well join them?

gungasnake

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 06:35 pm
@reasoning logic,
I'm saying that I live in the real world.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 07:15 pm
@gungasnake,
I agree and you seem well adjusted to it as well!

BEING RESPONSIBLE

0 Replies