So I lost my job

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 08:02 am
@Crazielady420,
Really bummed to hear this news CL. How's your support network (Family and friends wise)? Hope they can financially and networkially help you through these times.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 08:16 am
@George,
Me too, re Finn kudos.
And another to Jespah and Thomas and George for added points.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 08:40 am
@ossobuco,
CLady - see this post of mine on Jespah's work thread:
http://able2know.org/topic/177791-1#post-4740559
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 08:40 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Bad news. I hope for the best for you.
I hope she grows militant... I hope she does not ask for a job, but demands justice, happiness and her life back... How many years have we had the eight hour work day, and how often has that eight hour work day been expanded because people can be bought so cheaply.... And how many times since we had the eight hour work day have we increased each person's ability to produce, their productivity... We do not need a fraction working supporting all others while many necessary jobs go unfilled because they are the projects and purpose of government... We do not need to make a profit on every good deed that is done that cannot be done for free... Every person working eight hours a week could support their needs and provide for the future... This is not a fact; but a guess... Look at how few are supporting how many, and how many millions they are putting aside for the rich at the same time... Look at the waste of government in war, and how many languish behind bars doing nothing for no one because there is no profit in it... If work were worthy it would be worth a living wage... No ones future should hang on the habits, or ill temper of some boss...

Any one run off a job should celebrate their good fortune, and plan how to take their lives back for good after a few drinks and a good night sleep, knowing they will not be jarred awake by some rude alarm telling them their lives are being drained out of them by the ounce while they dream for a few moments of security...

Take back you life... They have handed it to you... Never give it back... Never trust them with your mind... Never trust them at all... Never give them your loyalty... Take all their ra, ra, ra; pro business, and patriotic nonsense with a bag of rock salt... Demand your freedon- that all the advances of humanity should make certain... The labor saved should not be theirs, but your own... Eight hours a day is slavery, especially when it is larded with constant worry for the future... Take back your life and you will own your future, and never give the bastards the time of day again... Many of the poor know it well... There is more honor in thieving than poverty... There is more honor in robbing a bank than being a wage slave... Steal your life...
George

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 08:50 am
@Fido,
Still gotta feed the baby, Fido.
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 09:14 am
@Crazielady420,

and if you haven't already done so, a linkedin account wouldn't hurt...
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 11:45 am
@Crazielady420,
Crazielady. Don't go crazy.

Be calm and move forward. No one likes to be fired, especially without fault. Just don't curl up in to a ball of self-pity. You have in yourself the capability to start afresh. Recognize the power you have and draw on that when you feel low.

Smarter people than me can direct you to employment sources and resume building, but the truer matter right now is how your head. Care for that, the rest must follow.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 12:38 pm
@Crazielady420,
If you can manage it at all, apply some money for job-retraining. Here's hoping something connects quick, though. Staying busy sure is a good suggestion.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 01:21 pm
I hope these lemons get squeezed into lemonade soon, CL. May your next adventure be even better than what you're doing now.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 02:52 pm
@George,
George wrote:

Still gotta feed the baby, Fido.
Too many will abort their babies rather than ask for justice for themselves... We act like we are so good to our kids because we buy them a lot of **** to feed their greed... We are demanding sons of biches to them because of their need to succeed, and our need to be some where else while they grow up... This society is on the skids, and like a lot of societies, we will throw our own children on the alter as a futile human sacrifice rather than making our society actually work so we have something besides physical and moral death to hand them when we die...
roger

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 03:07 pm
A minor tip, which probably doesn't apply to crazylady. Keep up you physical appearance, even when unemployed. Not to say you should always be dressed for an interview, but don't let yourself be seen at the supermarket looking like a bag lady by someone you might be interviewing with next week.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 04:48 pm
@Fido,
WTF Fido, you having a breakdown? That isn't true about anybody I know.
Mame

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 05:33 pm
@Pemerson,
He's on his own planet, haven't you noticed?

CL - roger's advice is good!!
George

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 05:46 pm
@Mame,
Jeez, I sincerely hope he's drunk or high.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 09:11 pm
@George,
He's drunk (or high) on revolutionary zeal.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 10:18 am
@Pemerson,
Pemerson wrote:

WTF Fido, you having a breakdown? That isn't true about anybody I know.
Just how many people do you know; because I have made it a point to know of a lot of societies in this world and have succeeded enough to see a lot of similarities with our own in many of the past doomed to destruction... This is a land of slaves burdened by the belief that we are free... We preach private morality when public and economic immorality are rife... People think they have a right to a job... They think the humiliation of slavery is more empowering than the humiliation of destitution; when really, it is our land, all ours, a commonwealth, and there is no reason we should have ever let the rich have such power in our lives, or have given them the control of government...When is this people ever going to realize that they will never have better until they are as a group, and as individuals are willing to take responsibility and act for themselves... Who is going to save us if we do not... The Romans prayed to the God of the Jews and asked the help of the church, but the God did nothing while barbarians became their masters, and the church helped itself... If you judge this people by people in the past, then this people is no worse or no better, and is certainly no better to step back and jusge its forms even while its forms lead it into absolute failure... This society is dying just as the relationship between employers and employees is dying, and while the relationship of the government with the governed is held ineffectual... We cannot get our government to act in our interest... The government is sold... We have to act to take down both the government and economy before they together destroy the whole society... And that may mean to think rather than to act... But even if one accepts slavery for a meal, they should reject the whole system of slavery which is ruining this place, and demoralizing the people... Admit that to exploit others and the environment we all need is wrong... Start from there...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 10:24 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

He's on his own planet, haven't you noticed?

CL - roger's advice is good!!
You are a slave, and unable to judge your condition clearly...You think because you have entered into your servitude voluntarily that you have done so freely... The fact is that democracy has always been an element of slavery, and that no person could be a slave without having surrendered their rights voluntarily, even if while under duress... Slaves could always resist, and many have resisted; but this people is becoming so slavish they no longer know how to resist, or that resistence is desirable and even human... Revolution is not in our bones even while dire necessity is our constant companion... We let ourselves be manipulated by fear, and terrorized by a false morality when if we were not so demoralized, it would be the most natural act to strike down all the bosses, and all those who would lord over others... This is not the land of the brave, but a pen for slaves..
Ragman

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 11:23 am
@Fido,
Sure would be nice to address the OP topic and not go out to explore the surface of Pluto. This diversion does nothing to help someone who has lost their job.

Here's a thought...why not start your own thread if you're going to discuss whatever it is about that you're on a soapbox? You're diluting and diverting the intent and subject of the OP topic.

Back to the subject at hand, Crazylady:
FWIW, you have my sympathies. I know of many jobseekers and professionals who use the networking feature of the social networking application called LinkedIn. I've been listed there for years. It can be a really good way of finding people who might be able to help spread the word or provide you with access to some of their contacts, too.
Fido

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2011 06:32 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Sure would be nice to address the OP topic and not go out to explore the surface of Pluto. This diversion does nothing to help someone who has lost their job.

Here's a thought...why not start your own thread if you're going to discuss whatever it is about that you're on a soapbox? You're diluting and diverting the intent and subject of the OP topic.

Back to the subject at hand, Crazylady:
FWIW, you have my sympathies. I know of many jobseekers and professionals who use the networking feature of the social networking application called LinkedIn. I've been listed there for years. It can be a really good way of finding people who might be able to help spread the word or provide you with access to some of their contacts, too.
It is down to earth, and not pluto!!!

Life is time, and time is life; and the way we let capitalists use our time and out lives is demeaning, and empoverishing... We think because we find so much of recreation in creation that we should not also demand justice from it, from our relationships with our employers and fellow employees... We have every mechanical advantage, and yet work more and not less... In my father's generation it was the rule, and wages reflected that a man had to support family with his wages... Now, and man and woman working together can not often support their families, and that is with giving all their time to the bosses, which is their time, their lives, which they will never get back nor see again... The harder we work the poorer we get, and the more insecure we find ourselves, victimized at every turn, becoming more hopeless, mere shells of the lives and dreams we once called our own... Give people your time, and you give them your mind... Where is your freedom of thought when the boss controls every activity, and can with impunity threaten your very existence??? We give those people, and that class far too much for too little...

The whole idea of capitalism is that those with the greed and ambition would with their personal vices advance and benefit society... Where is the benefit if we all must work longer and harder than our parents for less of wages and more of insecurity??? It is all for them... They have manipulated our vices to their service, and there is not one human virtue they will not put a price on, and even life itself, the organs that keep life in the living have their price as well...

Anyone losing their jobs should celebrate and not morne that though they have less, and have lost a little of their ability of self expression, they have for the moment gained their life back, and can breath free air not called by the boss, his own... Freedom is priceless even if one must be poor to afford it...
Ragman

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2011 09:21 am
@Fido,
This is just a guess, but I think OP needs more practical suggestions and not off-the-wall philosophy. Philosophy just can't pay the bills. Dude, it's pretty hard to follow you when you start waxing on and on about capitalism and freedom. Just sayin'!