So I lost my job

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 01:59 pm
They HR person came in today and advised us that the client pulled the account and that the office closes on 12-16-2011... then I will be unemployed for the first time... I don't know what I am going to do.... :-(

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 02:08 pm
@Crazielady420,
That's lousy. Do you know where the account is going? I'll bet they'll need people there.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 02:11 pm
@Crazielady420,
That's rough, but having the office close is probably the best reason you'll ever have to explain why you left your previous job.

Start looking, and if you find a good one, take it. If it doesn't look so good, you might consider that quiting before the deadline will probably kill you on an unemployment claim. Could also hurt you if the company comes up with some kind of severence package. That's dreaming, of course, but you never know. . . .

Interrogate that HR person. Find out what outplacement services they are offering. Ask "what", not "if". If they're feeling a bit guilty, take full advantage of it.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 02:17 pm
@Crazielady420,
Good to see you even with tough news. Listen to Roger
and good luck, Craze.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 02:44 pm
@Crazielady420,

sorry to hear, CL.
is your resumé up-to-date?
you can post it on monster.com, dice.com etc. ...
jespah

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 02:51 pm
@Region Philbis,
Hang in there, CL.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 03:30 pm
@Crazielady420,
I lost my job too... I mean, I didn't really lose it because I still know where it is; but when I go there some one else is doing it...

Pity you... Take this opportunity to learn to pity the world that can now produce far more than it needs for which it is paid too little to consume... Here is your choice, and you are welcome to get behind what you consider to be the best choice... We can have a revolution with justice for all finally; or another world war with death for millions, and justice for no one... How do you vote...
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 03:39 pm
@Crazielady420,
Oh CL - that's pretty crahp girlie. I do hope something will come up in the meantime that you can go for. Will be hoping for the best for you and yours.

x
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 03:45 pm
@Crazielady420,
I'm sorry to hear this CL, what are employment opportunities like in your part of the world? Wish you all the best.
roger

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 05:41 pm
@Dutchy,
"employment opportunities" isn't even a bad joke, anymore.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 06:43 pm
@Crazielady420,
Yes that does suck and can be scary. Get your resume on monster; call some agencies, temp work sometimes can turn out to be full time permanent.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 04:46 pm
Thanks all, I am just bummed. I worked so so hard to get where I am. I don't have a college education and I started at the bottom. I made it so far and now it is all gone...
Dutchy

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 04:48 pm
@Crazielady420,
Don't give up CL, you've done it once, you can do it again, believe in yourself!
0 Replies

Chinspinner

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 04:50 pm
@Crazielady420,
Get your CV up to date and get it to agencies. Also go direct to equivelent firms since saving an agents commission is a big incentive. Put aside a few hours a day to do this and chase people, do not let them come back to you in due course. Try to remain positive, go out, see mates, exercise.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 04:51 pm
Bad news. I hope for the best for you.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 07:05 pm
@Crazielady420,
As already suggested, update your resume and post it on job seeking sites.

Apply for unemployment as soon as you can.

Get the word out that you are looking for a job. You may not want to announce you're out of work, but it's a good thing to do. It gets other people looking for a job for you.

How many other employees are there at your office who are also out of work? Stay in touch with them after you leave. They won't pass a job they can get on to you, but wherever they land may need more new employees.

One of the most important things you can do is to keep your spirit up and not go into a funk. Losing your job is an emotionally traumatic experience and finding a new one is not fun and often scary.

First thing to realize is that it's not the end of the world. You've had a job for a while and you have skills. Eventually you will find another job. It could be next week or it could be next month, but there is government support to help tide you through and hopefully you have family and friends you can count on as well. You only have to find one job.

Next thing to realize is that losing your job is not a reflection of your worth as a person, nor is being out of work. No body want to be one of "them," when "them" are folks on the unemployment line, but it happens to almost everyone at one time or another and you're far from alone.

Don't take a lot of time to start looking for your new job. Right now you are in shock and the last thing you may want to do is think about finding a new job, but the sooner you get looking the sooner you will find one. More importantly you will be keeping yourself occupied and less likely to sink into depression.

Easier said than done, but try and relax this weekend. If you're someone who best deals with stress by connecting with people and talking, do that. Visit friends or family. Go out to dinner (you're not in the Poor House just yet). If on the other hand you deal best with stress by turning inward, do that. Read a book, watch old movies or take the dog for a long walk in the park.

On Monday get up at the same time you would have if going to work. Go through whatever your normal morning ritual may be and get dressed. It may be tempting to stay in your pjs and in bed, but don't do it.

Instead of going to work, sit down at your computer and start polishing the resume and searching for job sites. I don't know what your profession is but generally employment agencies specialize in certain industries. Find the ones that fit your profession and not only search the openings they've posted, but see if they accept resumes up front.

Go to corporate websites. Often they post employment openings.

Try and spend a significant amount of time each day looking for a job which includes networking by phone or e-mail. I don't think anyone can spend 8 hours a day 5 days a week job hunting, but do all that you can so that you feel that you've done all that you can and can leave it to luck, fate, God or whatever other force you think has a say in directing our lives..

Set goals for youself concerning what job you want and what sacrifices you are willing to make. For instance, you may want to keep your commuting time down, or not have to relocate, or you may not want to accept less than you were making or a postion of less status. Hopefully you will find the perfect job in no time at all, but you should start thinking about what is most important to you and what you're willing to trade to have it, so that if it takes longer than you expect you'll have a plan B. You can always keep looking for the perfect job while working at your second choice. It's a lot less stressful looking for a job when you have one then when you don't

Take a close look at your finances and figure out what spending you can easily cut and what you can trim, Figure out how much money you have to have to keep your house, your kids fed etc, set a reasonable budget and stick to it. Obviously your finances can easily be the source of a lot of stress when you're out of work so keep a tight handle on them.

Consider temp or contract work or whether or not this is a good time to try something entirely different. A lot depends on your personal circumstances but give change some real thought. There may never be a better time to do it.

If you had health insurance through your employer you will be entitled to continue it via COBRA. It will cost you more and I'm not sure if there is a time limit (if there is it's pretty long) but at least you won't have to worry about requalifying for a new plan. Your HR person has information on this and a lot of other related issues. Make sure you get what you need from him or her. Ask about accrued vacation time and sick leave as well as company life insurance and 401K plans you might have enrolled in.

If you have qualifications and are diligent in looking for a new job, you will find one, and when you do you may find that losing this one was the best thing that ever happened to you.

If the time comes that you are feeling depressed or overhwhelmed reach out to those in whatever support group you have.

Stay positive, stay focused, and stay busy.

All the best.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 07:13 pm
@Crazielady420,
Crazielady420 wrote:

Thanks all, I am just bummed. I worked so so hard to get where I am. I don't have a college education and I started at the bottom. I made it so far and now it is all gone...

Very sorry to hear your news.

Is it all gone, though?

I don't know what your work is, but I am hoping all that you learned to get so far is going to be what gets you a next job.
Thomas

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 08:07 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Is it all gone, though?

I don't know what your work is, but I am hoping all that you learned to get so far is going to be what gets you a next job.

Plus, you have almost three months to write applications as an employed person who merely wants to switch jobs. Seize it!
jespah

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 07:11 am
@Thomas,
More to add (by the way, kudos, Finn, for an outstanding post) - as you know, Mass has a health care law, so if you need to, you can apply for the connector.
George

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 07:56 am
@jespah,
I'll second those kudos to Finn. What he describes is just what I did and
pretty much how I felt after I was laid off. It's very very important to
make contact with as many people as possible and ask whether there are
openings at their company. Yeah, it makes you feel like a pest, but you
may have a chance to do the same favor for them someday.

In my case, a former boss who had moved on to a new company got me an
interview there.

In that spirit, I work in Westford, which may be too long a commute for
you, but if you want to contact me by PM, I'll be happy to submit your
resume here. I know we're hiring, but I don't know what positions.