Toronto Bans Sale of Puppy Mill (kittens and puppies) Pets

Linkat

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 08:10 am
@BillRM,
From my experience - small local home breeders do not usually sell through pet stores - they sell by word of mouth and their own advertising. I'd think most people who would want to get a dog from a breeder would prefer to visit the breeder to see personally how the dogs are cared for - this ensures you are getting a quality well cared for pet.
Linkat

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 08:11 am
@Ceili,
My experience around where I live (Boston area) - is the same - very few pet stores that sell dogs or cats. The few that open up - usually do out of business. Most people do not buy these sorts of pets from pet stores - either directly from a breeder/family or a shelter.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 08:14 am
@ehBeth,
And with the internet, it is so easy to find a breeder - like I said and others - you want to visit where the animals are raised and bred.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 11:00 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

From my experience - small local home breeders do not usually sell through pet stores - they sell by word of mouth and their own advertising. I'd think most people who would want to get a dog from a breeder would prefer to visit the breeder to see personally how the dogs are cared for - this ensures you are getting a quality well cared for pet.

I agree, but I think Bill's point is what if they want to? Should they be deprived of a legitimate means of distribution because of the inhumane activity of Puppy Mills; and the possibility that a law like this could extend (either in Toronto or elsewhere) to private sales by small breeders?

The problem is not with Pet Stores, it is with Puppy Mills.

The problem is the abusive treatment and irresponsible breeding practices of large scale breeders, not that there are, sadly, thousands of abandoned pets lanquishing in municiple pounds.

I understand why it is tempting to try and solve the problem of Puppy Mills by depriving them of a market, but like Bill, I'm not sure that it's the best solution or even an appropriate one.

I'm hardly a fan of government regulations, but what does seem reasonable is the regulation of large scale breeders and pet stores. That some regulations exist but have not solved the problem doesn't mean that regulations are not the answer. It's more likely that better crafted and better enforced regulations are.

I would not be surprised if the crafters of this legislation believe that they have not only found a way to solve the problem of Puppy Mills but of abandoned pets, or, if not outright solving the latter problem, greatly reducing it.

Unless someone can show me data that supports the notion that the vast majority of abandoned pets were purchased from Pet Stores, there is no chance this law will help solve that problem.

What it may do is reduce the number of pets currently being held and destroyed in pounds by redirecting former Pet Shop traffic. I'm open to being shown otherwise, but I suspect that reduction will be quite minimal.

The people who buy puppies and kittens from Pet Shops, small private breeders, or from the back of a pickup truck in a parking lot know full well that there are thousands of abandoned pets that are looking for homes. Obviously they prefer not to rescue an abandoned pet.

So this law, to some extent, and others that may go an extra step or two are telling people who want pets that they have to rescue one from the pound.

When we adopted our oldest son, the agency required us to look through some ten or twelve 3 inch binders filled with photos of foster children who were hard to place for adoption because of reasons of age, health and race. We were very tempted and it broke out hearts looking at all of the photos of these kids, but we were young first time parents. We didn't know how we would do raising a child without obvious complications and were in no way confident of our ability to do so with these poor kids. Frankly, we also wanted a "normal" baby. I'm sure this may seem shallow or cruel to some, but I believe it was perfectly natural and I don't apologize for it.

Even if it was shallow and cruel, the agency couldn't force us to adopt one of the hard to place children, and since our son was there and needed a home too who would he have been otherwise placed with? Someone who agreed to also adopt one of the hard to place children? A two-fer?

Thankfully no one in the county government thought that could solve the problem of hard to place foster children by coercing would be adoptive parents.

The down-side of Toronto's law may not have major implications and the up-side is obviously generally favored, but this doesn't mean it's enlightened or the best solution.

Linkat

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 11:07 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I agree in the fact - I do not like government dictating who can be in business and crap like that.

I personally don't think that pet shops are a good place to buy a cat or dog - more because of how they kept as well as the pet mill stuff.

I don't even know of any at all any more where I live - they go out of business - I think because people are more knowledgeable in general about puppy mills. I think the education part is more helpful than banning it.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 12:25 pm
According to the ASPCA, 2-10% of dogs/cats come from pets stores. According to other bits I've read, only 6% of pets come from pet stores. However, up to 90% of pet store stock comes from commercial bidders and of those, an unknown percentage are puppy mills. This may be an over handed approach but I guess you have to start somewhere.
As Beth stated, many of the pet stores are now hosting adoption parties with both agencies and breeders. It always struck me as cruel to the wee pups or animals left alone at night with no supervision. At least shelters and breeders, good ones, are around in case of emergency. Who's going to save the occupants of a pet store in a mall in the middle of the night? A security guard?
There was an interesting bit on the news the other night about how the Calgary cat license program has caused the number of strays to go down, as well as cat euthanasia. Apparently, it's so successful, their model is being followed with interest in cities world wide.
BillRM

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 12:45 pm
@Ceili,
Quote:
At least shelters and breeders, good ones, are around in case of emergency. Who's going to save the occupants of a pet store in a mall in the middle of the night? A security guard?

I love my cats however I do not treat them as children and if there is a fire at my home when I was away they would be in a world of hurt.

Let see also I had paid large sums for vet care of late where the technician would drop in to check on my cat at intervals during the night but would not normally spend the full night oversee his welfare.

Of course if my cat would had shown signs of being in trouble the vet himself would has been call to come in or at least that what I was told.

Now this is a license vet dealing with sick animals and you wish more oversight in a pet store that is given at a license vet facilitate?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 01:11 pm
@Ceili,
A amusing footnote there was once a fire started in my walls by some plumbing work and the 911 operator order me to leave the house at once and I refused to do so because of my cats.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 01:30 pm
Still, I have to wonder what even quality breeders do with their culls. Not the ones with obvious defects, but just the ones that are not up to the breed standard. Most of them would make great pets, but an AKC breeder is not going to send them out into the world with pedigree and AKC registeration.
BillRM

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 01:41 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Still, I have to wonder what even quality breeders do with their culls. Not the ones with obvious defects, but just the ones that are not up to the breed standard. Most of them would make great pets, but an AKC breeder is not going to send them out into the world with pedigree and AKC registeration.

I had known breeders that would give them to people under the conditions that the new owners would pay for the dog to be fix.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 01:42 pm
@roger,
Actually good breeders do just that - they sell these as pets with the pedigree and registration. It doesn't matter as these pets are not going to be "shown."

Good breeders love their breed and the dogs they raise. Many will question the living arrangements of the future pet - will some one be home? What sort of food will feed him/her? Are you familar with the breed?

I know one breeder we contacted (that is really into showing their dogs) and they give you a big list of questions before they will allow you to obtain one even at their price. Although a good breeder will want to ensure you get the dog fixed - as only experienced breeders will know how to breed correctly to keep the pedigree up to snuff.

My boss at one breeder would only allow you to get one of their pups if you promise to only feed the dog organic dog food.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 03:06 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Actually good breeders do just that - they sell these as pets with the pedigree and registration. It doesn't matter as these pets are not going to be "shown."

Good breeders love their breed and the dogs they raise. Many will question the living arrangements of the future pet - will some one be home? What sort of food will feed him/her? Are you familar with the breed?

I know one breeder we contacted (that is really into showing their dogs) and they give you a big list of questions before they will allow you to obtain one even at their price. Although a good breeder will want to ensure you get the dog fixed - as only experienced breeders will know how to breed correctly to keep the pedigree up to snuff.

My boss at one breeder would only allow you to get one of their pups if you promise to only feed the dog organic dog food.

When we bought our first Lab, Logan, the breeder who was a professor living on a small island just off the coast from Charleston got it in her head that I wanted a dog to show. No matter how many times I told her we only wanted a family pet, she insisted that I would end up showing him. As a result we got one of the two top picks of the litter, as she intended to keep one pup to show.

One was black and the other was yellow and we didn't know which one we were getting until we pulled up in her driveway. She couldn't make up her mind which was the better example of the breed and finally just flipped a coin. The puppy she kept, the yellow, she named Flip.

Just as I had sworn to her, we never showed Logan, but he was a mangnificent animal. We took him with us when we went to see the breeder at a couple of dog shows in which Flip was entered. I'm sure she was far more interested in seeing Logan than us, and I got the impression that she thought she ended up with the wrong one, although Flip was beautiful too. I couldn't say which one was the finer breed example, but Flip ended up having a pretty good career in the ring.

We never neutered Logan (I couldn't bring myself to go through with it), but he never ran free and we never tried to breed him.
0 Replies

scubawithdogs

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 06:33 pm
@BillRM,
The latter part of your statement should say all anyone needs to know about the compassion and caring pet stores have for the animals they sell "their inventory".
Restrictions have been placed on puppy mills here in Texas and there have been attempts discourage pet stores from using puppy mill breeders but it has failed. Maybe if the industry who makes it's living off breeding animals for profit would have done a little better job of policing itself then government intervention would not be required.
All you have to do is look at the American Kennel Clubs record of inbreeding, changing the breed standard to suit the whims of the public, and awarding best in show to animals whose have congential diseases and then their genes are passed along for large breeding fees to see the system does not work.
Best in Show was award to a King Charles Cavalier with a known congential brain disease called Syringomyelia. This animal was then breed for large sums of money there by passing the gene on to other dogs.
I can honestly say 15 years ago I bought a beautiful Rottie from a reputable breeder and by the age of 8 months she was diagnosed with IBS, by age 3 bilateral hip displasia, and by 6 years old cardiomyopathy. Vets from the prestigious vet school at A&M said all of her diseases were passed to her congentially. This reputable breeder only cared about money and not the quality of life for the animals he was selling. The breeder was out of business within 4 years of Keepers birth but that did not save us from years of vet bills and the numerous things we had to do for Keeper to make sure she had a great quality of life until the end. I was a first-time pet owner with Keeper and I do not understand the arguement "I don't think people who are inexperienced pet owners should be getting pets from shelters". I cannot understand the logic of that statement. That is like saying first-time drivers should not buy a used car.
From now on only rescues for me and I will do everything in my power to try and get our city council to pass an ordinances like Toronto. It took the bad behavior of one reputable breed to make me want to be a voice for animals who do not have a voice.
“The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated” Gandi
0 Replies

scubawithdogs

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 06:51 pm
@BillRM,
If it is a family business who cares about the well being of the animals they sell then none. These types of business sell on a reputation and word of mouth from satified pet owners. Comparing puppy mills to small family run breeding operations is like comparing apples to oranges. So it seems to me you are saying for the greater good of a few we must tolerate the bad behavior of many.
We can raise the legal standards but with the large amounts of budget cuts at local, state, and federal levels the new standards would never be enforced.
Have you ever been around a puppy mill? I believe if you ever saw even one you would understand the passion people feel about ending their avenue to sell the animals the breed.
If no one bought drugs there would be no illegal drug market. If no one will buy puppies from puppy mills there will no longer be puppy mills and these people can go back to selling their souls in some other despicable way.
BillRM

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 08:50 pm
@scubawithdogs,
Odd I was very clear that you control where the pet stores can got the dogs as a far better method for everyone concern then just shutting them down.

However this seem to have little do do with puppy mills and everything to do with forcing people who wish to have pets to only be able to deal with the pounds or rescue groups.

Come on let be honest you just wish to end commerce breeding of any kind so the pound and the rescue groups will have more success in finding homes for the animals under their care.

As must as I feel for dogs and cats in public shelters the idea of using state power to shut off other sources for these pet on the excuse and a will repeat if the excuse of puppy mills is an outrage and a misused of state power.

To sum up who the hell do you think you are fooling?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 10:38 pm
@scubawithdogs,
scubawithdogs wrote:

If it is a family business who cares about the well being of the animals they sell then none. These types of business sell on a reputation and word of mouth from satified pet owners.

It's hard to reconcile this comment with what you wrote less than 20 minutes earlier. I could be wrong but it seems that you recounted your own experience with a "reputable breeder," that was less that satisfactory. Presumably the favorable reputation which you relied upon was generated by satisfied pet owners and yet you have concluded that the breeder was one who only cared for money and not the animals themselves.

If word of mouth from satisfied customers cannot assure that a breeder meets your requirements, what can? Does the law you hope to have passed in your community require breeders to be approved by you?

My point is that you easily dismiss Bill's concern that laws like these could put legitimate small breeders out of business, by contending that if they are benign they will surrvive, but offer only word of mouth generated reputation as the means to demonstrate they are sufficiently benign...and provide us with an example of how such a reputation can be unreliable.

Not exactly the makings of a fair and effective law.

Comparing puppy mills to small family run breeding operations is like comparing apples to oranges. So it seems to me you are saying for the greater good of a few we must tolerate the bad behavior of many.

I don't think he's saying that at all. He's saying that we shouldn't ignore or imperil the rights of anyone (be they few or many) in order to put a stop to the behavior of an entirely separate group which we cannot tolerate.

What you seem to be saying is we need not worry about the rights of innocent others if we can put a stop to the behavior of bad others that we find intolerable.

No one in this thread is defending the illegal and immoral behavior of large scale breeders who deserve the epithet Puppy Mill.

I (and perhaps Bill...I'll leave it him to explain his position if he chooses) am saying that a law that forces a choice between the rights of legitimate breeders and cessation of the illegal activity of illegitmate ones is a bad law and is unncessary.

We can raise the legal standards but with the large amounts of budget cuts at local, state, and federal levels the new standards would never be enforced.

Ahhh, there's the rub isn't it? There is not enough money to enforce standards that would put a stop to the bad behavior without imperiling or damaging the rights of those who do not engage in it.

With or without budget cuts, there will never be enough money to do everything. Communities need to make choices and prioritize concerns. If effective enforcement can truly only be achieved with additional resources (more $) then the community should either generate additional revenues or reallocate what it already has.

Coming up with what seems like a clever, cost free "solution" (which by the way also helps address a problem that is not contemplated by the law but is nevertheless important to those who support it) is not an appropriate answer if the rights of law abiding members of the community are compromised.

If putting an end to the illegal behavior of breeders and pet stores is sufficently important to the community it should either cough up the additional costs through increased taxs or fees or redirect the money being spent to correct a problem of lesser concern or a provide a service of lesser importance.

Have you ever been around a puppy mill? I believe if you ever saw even one you would understand the passion people feel about ending their avenue to sell the animals the breed.

Clearly you are assuming Bill has either never seen a Puppy Mill or is unaware of what specifically takes place at such operations. The assumption is probably erroneous but certaily unfair and besides the point.

What underlies this first assumption is a second assumption that if Bill shared or even understood your passion he would agree with your position and not concern himself with the possibility that the rights of legal breeders could be denied.

Finding fault with or objecting to this law is not evidence that someone is any less concerned about animals or any less repulsed by cruelty than then those who support it.

If no one bought drugs there would be no illegal drug market. If no one will buy puppies from puppy mills there will no longer be puppy mills and these people can go back to selling their souls in some other despicable way.

If no one bought drugs there would be no drug market, legal or illegal, and if no one bought dogs there would be no Puppy Mills and no dog pounds. You might as well say that if no one died there would be no murders.

While we can probably agree that all operations that deserve to be called Puppy Mills are illegitimate, not all breeders are Puppy Mills.

By allowing pet stores to only sell dogs obtained from shelters, the Toronto law has eliminated these retail operations as a market for all breeders, even the ones who fully comply with all regulations.

If there isn't enough money available to enforce animal cruelty laws at breeding operations, where will the money come from to enforce the Toronto law at pet stores?

The champion of the Toronto law acknowledges that it will not eliminate Puppy Mills and so if the mills can remain in operation it certainly can be expected that they will continue to sell puppies through pet stores, if the store owner is willing to break the law as some surely will. Therefore enofrcement efforts will be necessary.

What happens with the still operating Puppy Mills? Will even less money be spent on enforcing animal cruelty laws at their operations, thereby increasing the likelihood of animal suffering? Will the Mills go underground and be less succespable to inspections by the authorities.

Even if we accept that it may be necessary to deny the rights of the innocent in order to solve a serious problem, this law will not solve the problem. Undoubtedly it will have some some beneficial effect, but it will not solve the problem.

scubawithdogs

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 03:38 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
It is about the well being of animals.
It seems as if a disagreement regarding an ordinance which was passed in Toronto to protect animals has turned into an arguement about people. I think the ways this arguement has turned says a lot about priorities. This seems to be an "it's all about me society". Your right to swing your arms ends when you hit my face. Your right to breed animals should end when you cause harm and suffering.
I think the whole point of the arguement about the breeder I chose, due to word of mouth, was put out of business because their reputation became tarnish related to the kind of care they were taking of their animals. So in that circumstance dissatified customers let other customers know the breeder only cared about money and not breeding healthy animals worked.
I don't dismiss anyones right to believe what they wish so if you don't like the laws fight them in your area or have them overturn through a community effort.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 03:44 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
By allowing pet stores to only sell dogs obtained from shelters, the Toronto law has eliminated these retail operations as a market for all breeders, even the ones who fully comply with all regulations.

It could well be different in your jurisdiction, but you will not find good breeders selling through pet stores here. It is not how the market developed.

Puppy mill puppies were/are what you could get at pet stores in Toronto. That was it. Nothing from a reputable breeder.
jcboy

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 03:57 pm
Both of my dogs I adopted from a shelter. When I was a kid my parents bought me a black Shar Pei from a pet store. I named her munchie, she lived to be about eight years old. We had so many health problems with her. I was heartbroken when we had to put her down but she was out of pain and not suffering anymore.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 04:47 pm
@ehBeth,
I've been spoiled. The good pet store in my last home town did not sell puppies, and the other one only sold things like leashes. Smallish city.

I understand that a friend's very loved dog is from a Pet Smart underpinning of (humane society?) which I can see as a win win.

BBB (Bumblebeeboogie) had a thread here about truly horrible place in our new to us area. That and other stories alerted me of the horrendous problems, troubled and sometimes berserk people out to make money. Not that the rest of us aren't sometimes troubled, but selling puppies with that is a recipe for cruelty, at least some of the time.

Alternately, my xbusiness partner's sister raises dobermans very well. I gather some think it is too sweet a line - but don't trust me on that. I'm not entirely anti dog breeding but fairly far along in that. A sweet line with otherwise strong dobie traits, I'm only for it, so I'm perhaps not all against breeding.

A dear dog to me didn't make show grade, only one testicle, poor lad, and became a big part of our lives, and also of the lives of our town, since when he was a pup and then some, he hung out with us in the gallery studio. (The sister certainly let some of the litters go as pets, I'm estimating most). My business partner once stopped on a freeway to rescue a dog tossed from a truck, and another in a grocery store parking lot, surrounded by honking cars. (The dog, very neglected, I'm guessing by someone who'd lost competence, was entirely deaf).

So, in our gallery, we had a one testicled doberman, a one month stayer at the pound corgi, and a parking lot deaf dog. We kept the dogs behind a gate most of the time, except for setting up a show, when the main door was closed, but quite a nice gate.

If I still had a tv, I'd watch the westminster shows. I don't just hate the show dogs, though I'm roll eyed on breeding. I think money is bred and dogs over time lose out.

I don't know my exact take on all this, but I'm presently listening to Finn (oh so help me). I think being against serious breeders, large or small, is not right, whatever my qualms (corgies are getting tinier and cutesy, darling little buttons, and that drives me nuts), but that there should be some monitoring, at least re care, which means licensing pre ability to sell. I've been licensed in two professions - and know that licensing was smart, whatever the problems.

Re what I consider cute breeding, heritage standards, and so on, I'd like to see some alternate to the american kennel club, re power. By the state, I'm not sure. But I'd like to see the state be able to prosecute anything horrid.

I can see some legislation re what a puppy mill is - define the thing - and having them being illegal.