Premier emty promises

Montana

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 10:30 pm
Our Premier Bernard Lord has made major promises to the people here in the Maritimes before his last election and once again it's all lies. My gripe here is about the car insurance that is putting us all in the poor house. Lord said that by June of last year that the insurance companies were going to be government forced to put our insurance rates down by 20%. Well, I just got my insurance bill for the year and not only hasn't it gone down, it has increased by $200. I am sooooo pissed right now and I am so sick of constantly being fed lies upon lies.
I decided to write to Lord expressing my feelings on the issue and I have also sent a copy of the letter to the local paper, so what do you think?

Dear Mr.Lord

I just recieved my car insurance bill for the year and I was beside myself to see that my rates have gone up by $200 a year when I was led to believe that you were going to make sure that our car insurance was going to be lowered by 20%. We, the people of New Brunswick obviously need cars for transportation, but the continued increase in our car insurance costs are making it near impossible to survive. In my 24 years of driving I have never had an accident or even so much as a ticket and I am disgusted at the excuses from my insurance company as to why my insurance continues to increase. Up until now there have been small increases every year that I could live with, but this recent $200 increase threw me for a loop since I was looking forward to the 20% decrease that you Mr. Lord have promised us all. My son will be getting his license this coming summer and I was quoted premiums of over $4,000 minimum for him to insure a car and that is absolutely absurd. I am quickly losing faith in your ability to keep your word Mr. Lord and I will keep this in mind when election time rolls around again. You made a promise to us and all we ask is that you keep that promise. Can you explain to me and the rest of us in the Maritimes why our car insurance rates have not decreased as you promised?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of you who think I'm wasting my breath, I just need you to know that when the people here in Canada make some noise, it's not ignored as it is in the states, so it is a worthy cause.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,625 • Replies: 40
No top replies

caprice

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 01:55 am
I wouldn't think you are wasting your breath. Being complacent is worse than making your views known. Maybe you could start a petition? Car insurance is an issue here in Alberta too. Supposedly rates are being freezed until the provincial government looks into it. Yeah right. Supposedly the "rules" will change so that young male drivers won't be bearing the brunt of expensive insurance. Well isn't the reason their insurance is so high due to statistics that show they are at the highest risk of accidents and other vehicular infractions? Why should good drivers be penalized? Rates will go up and go up a lot. I don't have a car right now and I'm dreading the day I get one -- if I'm still in this province by the time that happens.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 01:56 am
Good letter btw. Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 04:37 am
Thanks for your input caprice. It really does burn me that the good drivers are penalized for all the bad drivers and bogus claims. I am flaming mad and I'm gonna make some noise ;-)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 04:53 am
One person where I work was quoted for his son a premium which was 20% more than the value of the car. that's not protecting risk, that's just profiteering.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 04:57 am
I fully agree with you Montana, good driving habits should be rewarded not penalized.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 05:19 am
No doubt and they're going to hear about it. I can be quite annoying when I want to be ;-)
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 06:50 am
Good
Show that letter to all the people you know and get them to sign it.

Be the most annoying that you can be. Very Happy
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 08:34 am
I live in New Jersey USA -- where the car insurance rates are the highest in all the United States -- and where the drivers do their very best to deserve that honor.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 08:42 am
I could point you to some of the lawyers in your province, Montana, who are at least partially to blame for that increase in premiums.

I kinda have to laugh at the $4000 for your son. You'd barely blink at getting a new driver insured at that rate in Ontario. There was a woman in Toronto who was recently quoted $31,000.00 to add her son to her auto policy.

Governments have to get much more serious about investigating and prosecuting claim fraud. Bad drivers are only a very small part of the problem. It's the lawyers and clinics and paralegals and chiropractors that have made an enormous impact on the bottom line on insurance in North America.

Having a good driving record doesn't mean much to your premium bottom line.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 08:53 am
Shocked ... and I thaught, we were paying here high insurance premiums!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 09:32 am
Montana - I was just thinkin' about your letter. Unless you're in Bernard Lord's riding, or you're actively involved in party politics - you didn't/don't vote for him, so your letter won't mean all that much ... unless ... you also write to your local representative. S/he's the only one who REALLY cares about your vote.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 01:19 pm
No one should sweat empty promises -- Ahnold's broke nearly every one of his including ceasing the campaign contribution parties. He's learned how to become a politician quickly -- lie to get elected then do a premiere snow job, spinning everything to look like this is what his intentions were in the first place. I think he's taken the part of The Predator.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 01:57 pm
ehbeth

For real? $31,000?? This isn't urban legend stuff? Some nasty rumour that people kept adding $$'s onto? If I were her, I'd ask to speak to the top management person at the company and then I would tell that person to kiss my a$$.

You know what all of this means, don't you? Uninsured drivers. When I worked in the US, a courier I worked with told me there were several of his friends who couldn't afford the high rates of insurance so they didn't pay. They forged documents to get their vehicles registered and all, but they didn't pay for the insurance.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 06:09 pm
if i remember the story correctly the woman had quite a long list of accidents to her credit ! she was interviewed recently on canadian tv and i did not have much sympathy. when i read the local paper (particularly on monday morning) there are always plenty of reports of people getting into accidents, and often enough the names have appeared several times before. culprits seem to get of with a slap on the wrist far too often for drunk and other reckless driving offences. i wonder if those drivers ever think of the police, firefighters, towtruck-operators, medical personnel who have to clean up the mess - it seems to me that many never get the message. hbg
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 08:16 pm
Re: Good
pistoff wrote:
Show that letter to all the people you know and get them to sign it.

Be the most annoying that you can be. Very Happy

Hey, that's not a bad idea :-)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 08:57 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Montana - I was just thinkin' about your letter. Unless you're in Bernard Lord's riding, or you're actively involved in party politics - you didn't/don't vote for him, so your letter won't mean all that much ... unless ... you also write to your local representative. S/he's the only one who REALLY cares about your vote.

The only thing I'm actively involved in is voting. Lord does represent my area and I voted against him last election because he didn't think the car insurance was an issue until he saw how popular his opponent (Graham) was becoming when he was using the car insurance as his main issue. Suddenly Lord does a complete tail spin towards the end of the election and starts pushing to lower car insurance rates. I saw right through this and voted against him. Lord has done some good things, but he has lost touch with the people. He claimed that he wasn't aware that the car insurance was such a big issue with the people which tells me that he has lost complete contact with the every day people. If Lord had done what he has promised, then I would consider him when voting time rolls around again, but it's not looking good so far. All insurance companies that didn't lower their rates by June of last year were to be penalized, but so far everyones rates have still gone up and by a heafty chunk.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 09:18 pm
Here is the letter I recieved from my insurance company that came with my heafty bill.

Dear Client

Today's climate of rapidly rising insurance premiums may require some explanation. Rumors on the street and slanted reporting by the Press have done little to explain the situation for our valued clients.

None of us are happy when costs increase but I hope this letter will help you to understand the changes occurring in the Auto Insurance Industry.

Approximately two years ago, our lawyers advised us that we cou;d expect the cost of personal injuries to increase. The amounts of Court Awards would be going up to the levels of awards in other provinces, they counseled. That prediction has, in fact, come true. Minor sore neck injuries which had settled for $2,000 now require $10,000 to $15,000. Then-Thousand-Do;;ar ($10,000) soft tissue injuries have now become $30, 000 to $40,000. It takes a lot of premiums to cover these claims in addition to the usual broken windshields and dented fenders that are part of everyday life.

The wording of the New Brunswick Auto Insurance Policy is Government mandated and we are not able to change the coverage. The only option for us is to adjust the premium charged to our clients. These increases are necessary to honour claims. It is vitally important that we be able to respond when you need us.

In my 30 years' experience in the industry, I have never seen claims and, therefore, premiums rise so sharply. We have been forced to adjust our premium rates three times over the past two years.

We sincerely hope that changes to be introduced by our Provincial Government will help reduce your burden.

If you are interested in more information on this topic, we recommend the IBC web site at www.ibc.ca or contact your agent.

We want you to know we appreciate your business.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 09:20 pm
I do love this obvious typo in their letter though.

"In my 30 years' experience in the industry, I have never seen claims and, therefore, premiums rise so sharply."
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 04:00 am
Okay, I confess, I don't get the typo. What is it? Clue me in! Smile

(Then when I get it, I can go "doh!")
0 Replies