Liver Pain? Too many vitamins?

JD3P

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 09:27 pm
Hi, I've been waking up with a slight pain where my liver is located. I have been very tired lately, and weak for no reason. I was feeling around the area today and noticed that I also have tenderness on the tissue around the bottom of my right rib, also when I wake up. The pain subsides through the day, however on certain nights it makes a come back. I am not sure if it is due to exercise ( I haven't hurt myself during that I am aware of). My main concern is that my liver may be trying to process too many toxins. For the past six months or so I began taking a B 100 complex, Flaxseed oil and multivitamin. I take one of each a day at the same time. Always after a meal. Am I doing harm to my body? From everything I researched I have found that it is safe to take high quantities of B vitamins, because they are water soluble. Which is why I never separated the multi and the B. I really need some opinions. If the pain is still there by the weekend I may go to the er just in case.

You can find all the supplement facts on these pages in case anyone really is able to help me:
Alive Multi- http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=NW-1281

Flaxseed Oil- http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spring-Valley-Dietary-Supplement-Flaxseed-Oil-100-ct/10324860
(Except mine is made with natural cold pressed flaxseed oil, not organic. Or so the label says)

B100 Complex- http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?filterBy=online&skuId=850969&productId=850969&navAction=push&navCount=1&no_new_crumb=true

Can't find the info online, so here it is:
Thiamin (mononitrate) 100mg
Riboflavin 100 mg
Niacin 100 mg
Vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride) 100 mg
Folic Acid 400 mcg
B 12 100 mcg
Biotin (d-Biotin) 100 mcg
Pantothenic Acid (d-Calcium Pantothenate) 100 mg
PABA 100 mg
Inositol 100 mg
Choline Bitartrate 100 mg
(Alfalfa, Watercress, Parsley, Soy Lecithin and Rice Brain) 1 mg

Rockhead

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 10:07 pm
@JD3P,
your liver is not something to **** around with.

have you asked a doctor about it?

have you tried stopping all the supplements to see if the pain subsides?
JD3P

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 10:14 pm
@Rockhead,
I have had blood tests about a year ago to check it, and the doctor said it was fine. The pain just recently began but I'm not able to get to the hospital atm. I am definitely going to bring it up when I do go back. I've started only taking the B vitamin, but I am going to stop them all and see what happens.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 10:16 pm
@JD3P,
in the meantime, if it were me...

I'd stop all supplements and drink lots of water and cranberry juice.

but talk to a doctor about it...
JD3P

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 10:22 pm
@Rockhead,
Thank you for the advice I really do appreciate it. I already started drinking extra water earlier. I will get some cranberry juice tomorrow. I hope it's just a result of the vitamins, because I see no other reason for this to be happening. But I will definitely talk to my doctor about it asap.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 06:03 am
Hold back on the exercise, too.

The fact that the pain subsides as you start to move around tells me that you have sore muscles that work themselves out during the day. Also, try a warm compress on that side.

BUT - get it checked out! Could be pulled muscle, gas, gallbladder . . .
JD3P

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 07:33 am
@PUNKEY,
Thank you, I also decided that eliminating weight lifting was probably a good idea as well lol. I have to rule out everything I possibly can. I woke up again with tenderness on the area surrounding the ribs, except it was on the left side of my right ribs now. But the rest of the area still feels irritated. I will try the compress tonight. I was going to try NSAIDs, but I am thinking I should just let it try to heal on it's own (that is if it is just a sore/ pulled muscle).
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 12:38 pm
@JD3P,
Who says it is liver-related?

It could also be symptoms of appendicitis.
JD3P

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 01:03 pm
@Butrflynet,
I honestly don't know what it is. I looked up symptoms of appendicitis, but I don't seem to have many of them.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 01:12 pm
@JD3P,
were your blood test part of a routine checkup or were you concerned about liver problems then as well? There's nothing in the list of things you're taking that jump out at me re causing liver problems.

If you're waking up with pain and it's alleviated as you move during the day I'd think it was muscular before an organ, but the only way to find out is to get another liver profile done.

Have you tried applying heat to your lower back? If it's alleviated by heat then it's most likely muscular.

JD3P

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 01:26 pm
@JPB,
I am trying to get an emergency appointment with my doctor tomorrow afternoon. I did have my doctor run many different blood tests for my kidneys, liver, sugar, thyroid, about two months ago. If something has been wrong I would think it should show up on that test. Although if the doctor disagrees I'll get more blood work done. I am also going to bring the vitamins with me just in case, who knows maybe I am taking in too much of something. I haven't applied heat yet, I am going to try that tonight. When I stretched a little while ago I had a shooting pain in the upper portion of the right abdomen. Not sure what that means. Thank you for your response though.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 01:32 pm
Good idea.

I'm guessing it's a rib or muscular. I'll be curious to hear what the dr says. Let us know, ok?
JD3P

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 01:45 pm
@JPB,
I'll definitely update as soon as I find out what is going on. Hopefully it is just a muscle or rib lol.
0 Replies

JD3P

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 05:23 pm
@JPB,
I went to the doctor today, and all my blood results came back normal. The doctor said that it is probably just my stomach acting up, and producing too much acid. She gave me a prescription for famotidine 20mg twice a day. She also ordered an ultrasound of the abdomen just in case.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 06:41 pm
@JD3P,
Did she evaluate all the pills and supplements you've been taking?
JPB

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 08:17 pm
@JD3P,
I hope whatever it is gets sorted and you start feeling better soon.
JD3P

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 04:56 am
@Butrflynet,
I didn't even have an opportunity to ask her, because they put me on the schedule for really late in the day. She was rushing and trying to go over lab results as well as diagnose the pain. (I know that pretty much defeats the purpose of this post, since I didn't get to ask her). I am going to continue to look into it. I will try to bring it up next time I go, and repost a response in here.
0 Replies

JD3P

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 04:56 am
@JPB,
Thank you =]
0 Replies

jomarsch

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 08:18 am
@JD3P,
Interesting...I read the entire posts. I also have had liver discomfort and I believe kidney pain. Felt like pulled muscles but I connected the dots and believe I found the answer. I have been taking B100 as well as multi-complex vitamins. D3, vitamin A, E, Calcium-magnesium, C and I now think I've just overloaded my liver. I stopped taking these for a few days and feel much better. In fact I didn't wake up with any pain this morning ! I'm seeing the Dr. today but I feel because Dr.'s are so rushed with so many patients, they really don't listen. most of them anyway. Hope you resolved your pain issue.
0 Replies

Retro east

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 09:33 am
Hey I am getting that same liver pain recently. Been taking 500-1000mg of niacin a day for add. Going to stop taking for a while and also start taking milk thistle since it is a liver detox herb.
0 Replies