Butrflynet

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 08:43 pm
@Reyn,
Ditto.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 09:11 pm
@GracieGirl,
Hi Gracie, and thanks for your interest.

Yes, my mom knows she is going, and is looking forward to the move. It's not like a nursing / extended care home. She's moving from an apartment where she lived since 1992, so a long time.

She gets lunch and supper prepared for her, in a dining room, 7 days per week. There are also care aides, if a person needs them, but so far, I'm holding off on that. There are many other types of assistance, if she needs it. It really is quite a nice place, where I'm sure she will make many new friends.

Dementia has many aspects. There are many different types. The most obvious sign, for my mother, is the short-term memory loss and confusion.

There is no cure for dementia. It's a progressive disease. There are some medications that can help with the memory loss, which she has tried recently. Unknown how effective it is.

She has a few physical challenges, too. She's using a walker (or should be), which sometimes she does not always do.

Ah, I could go on for quite a stretch here, but I'll cut it short here. This has been going on now (to various degrees) for about a year now, but took a turn for the worse about 4 months ago. If it were not for my wife, I would have a difficult time coping, but I'm hoping that the burden for caring for my mother will lessen soon.

Lots going on! Gotta go! Going to watch some TV and relax.
GracieGirl

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 08:05 pm
@Reyn,
Hi Reyn! You're welcome! Smile

Great, Great, Great! Sounds like things are going good! Im glad. Smile

Sounds like a really nice place and I hope she gets better there and she has a good time.

I looked up some stuff about Dementia when you mentioned your mom had it (Im a nerd, I love Google!) I can see how things would be hard for you. I bet it's exhausting watching out for her all the time.You deserve a break. Wink

Good Luck with your mom Reyn! I hope she feels better at the place and things get a little easier for you! Very Happy

0 Replies