Should I have pressed "1"?

Linkat

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 11:07 am
I had a message on my cell phone. I get the message and it said, "Your Mastercard has been locked. To unlock it, press 1". I did not press 1 - should I have? I still have the message, so I could go back.

The message was at 2:40 am and was a "Restricted" Number.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,228 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 11:08 am
@Linkat,
Why not call your Master Card bank and ask this of a MC bank support rep? IMHO, it smells fishy to me. I'd verify all this with the 800 toll-free number.
Linkat

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 11:39 am
@Ragman,
I did - I checked in with my credit card and debit card as both as mastercards. In both cases, my account is fine and neither one was involved with the call.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 11:42 am
@Linkat,
You did good. Pressing 1 would likely have autodialed a 900 prefix and charged your phone account with god knows how many bucks. Kind of like clicking some kind of link on a2k. You get whatever you get.
Linkat

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 01:02 pm
@roger,
Damn I knew I shouldn't pressed that a2k link - must be why "Peggy" keeps sending me emails.

I did a quick google search with what was said in the message - apparantely when you press 1, they ask you to punch in your credit card number.

I thought too that it could be one of those auto dials too - but would an auto dial work if it is saved on your phonemail?
roger

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 01:17 pm
@Linkat,
I believe it would work, but can't swear to it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 01:25 pm
Five responses here ... all send via a Telstra mobile to a Satellite phone in Uzbekistan...then diverted to a premium Uzbekistan 1900 number ...

Thanks a $$$$$! Wink
roger

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 02:16 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
All I sent was the account number and routing number from the checking account. It's the East Bank of the Mississipi, by the way. Lots of liquid assets, but they're mostly underwater.
0 Replies