Heat wave breaking.... wildfires starting.

DrewDad

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 11:49 pm
No threat to our house from the fires, so far. But several neighborhoods have been evacuated.

DrewDad

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 11:51 pm
@DrewDad,
http://www.kvue.com/news/local/Fires-break-out-across-Central-Texas--129235493.html
Izzie

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 02:16 am
@DrewDad,
Shocked

Take good care DD and all our Tx residents - dayum! Hard to imagine these kinda fires sitting here across the pond. Are you ready to evacuate if needs be?

Good to hear there have been no injuries to folk so far. Hoping it will remain so.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 06:11 am
@DrewDad,
Oh no. I need to call my mom!

I'm not familiar with the place names in the article and my knowledge of Austin geography is not so good. She lives in Austin but out towards Round Rock. Is that area okay?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 06:23 am
It's a very windy and dangerous time, around Houston. The situation is statewide, actually.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 08:50 am
@boomerang,
I'm checking the news this morning.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 08:58 am
@DrewDad,
Interactive wildfire map (WeatherUnderground)
DrewDad

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 09:01 am
@DrewDad,
The big ones are at Bastrop (Southeast of Austin) and Steiner Ranch (just West of Austin).

A few smaller fires near Pflugerville (Southeast of Round Rock).
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 10:08 am
@edgarblythe,
Hope you don't get too much rain.

Finally, New Mexico is getting some rain and lower temperatures after such a long drought. Albuquerque doesn't get as much rain as other areas of N.M. but every little bit helps.

BBB
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 10:39 am
@DrewDad,
Wildfires are so scary and they come so fast - don't we know that here in southern California too! Please be prepared DrewDad and monitor the fires well. It can go so fast and once the evacuations start, you don't have much
time.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 10:46 am
@DrewDad,
Thanks!

I called my mom and some of the smaller fires are near her and there is one big fire that is sort of close. I told her to turn on her TV and pay attention. My niece just lives a few blocks from her so I know she has help handy if she needs it.

Still scary.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 12:12 pm
@boomerang,
It's being reported that over half of Bastrop State Park has been burned. (6,000 acre preserve)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 12:22 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

Hope you don't get too much rain.

Finally, New Mexico is getting some rain and lower temperatures after such a long drought. Albuquerque doesn't get as much rain as other areas of N.M. but every little bit helps.

BBB

One drop of rain would be more than I have had recently.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 12:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
I heard a PSA about flash flooding, yesterday. That's comforting to hear, when we haven't had measurable rain in months.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 02:29 pm
That storm called Lee would have been perfect for Texas.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 04:09 pm
Just learned my niece has evacuated. She lives southeast of Magnolia.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 04:27 pm
Texas cut fire department funding by 75 percent this year | Raw Replay
www.rawstory.com
Under Gov. Rick Perry (R) this year, Texas slashed state funding for the volunteer fire departments that protect most of the state from wildfires like the ones that have recently destroyed more than 700 homes. Volunteer departments that were already facing financial strain were slated to have their .....
boomerang

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 04:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
I thought Texas was doing pretty good economically. What's with the funding cuts? My sister is an investment banker and she was telling me about all the new clients she's gotten because of that pipeline going in.

My mom's neighborhood had some rolling blackouts today and the power was cut off in my niece's neighborhood. I can't imagine dealing with that heat and having no power. The fires very near my mom's house are under control right now, thank goodness.

What is starting all of those fires?
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 05:06 pm
@boomerang,
They haven't given causes to all of them, I think. I saw on TV where the high winds off Lee caused two power lines to short. I don't know about the others. It is the nature of this kind of fire that it can be seemingly out and suddenly erupt anew, a day or two later.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 05:07 pm
Texas has cut its spending drastically on most everything, because of a huge budget shortfall.
0 Replies