'Whatever' in German

jora

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 06:57 pm
Does anyone know what the equivilant of the English word 'whatever' would be in German? My german tutor said that if you want to translate it word for word it would be was auch immer, but she said no one in Germany would actually say this as it doesn't quite sound right.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 14,658 • Replies: 39
No top replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 09:03 pm
"whatever" - are you looking for an equivalent to "i don't really care what you say" or "yea, yea, whatever you say" ? there would be different interpretations depending upon what "message" you want to send. can you be a little more specific ? hbg
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 09:08 pm
Egal?
0 Replies

jora

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 08:54 am
I'm looking for the kind of 'whatever' that says "I don't really care what you say."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 11:25 am
"Egal" would be very close to that.
"Das ist mir egal" thus could be the answer to the other person.

A very good free dictionary is this one (to be found, btw, as well as others in the A2K-Portal :wink: ):
LEO
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 03:22 pm
walter : the answer "whatever" is a pretty rude response to someone i would not want to listen to. the longer version would be "whatever you say, i really don't care, i'm tuning out) . its sometimes used by teenagers who do not care to listen to a "sermon" by their elders. i seem to recall that in hamburg people(longshoremen) would say to a longwinded speaker "sabbel morgen mehr", of course you had to be careful in its use ! i feel that comes pretty close to "whatever" . hbg ... i remember that an expression used in canada was "talk, talk, talk", but i have not heard that in a long time. hbg
0 Replies

Maggie5554515

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 04:09 am
Whatever
"Egal" is correct, but i don't think "was auch immer" isn't used by German speakers... What am i saying, i'm living in Germany and use it quite frequently.
P.S. And no, Hamburger, i'm not a bad person. I just use it, because i like how it sounds Very Happy
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 02:11 pm
Wurscht!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 02:29 pm
Dutch kids just started saying "whatever" - the english word, I mean ... I think. They've definitely adopted the word "duh", last year or so, quite massively.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 02:52 pm
nimh wrote:
Dutch kids just started saying "whatever" - the english word, I mean ... I think. They've definitely adopted the word "duh", last year or so, quite massively.

I thought about that too nimh. "Whatever" seems to be untranslatable in Dutch. The thing that comes most close to it would be "ja, ja..." or "tuurlijk" (in an arrogant manner).
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 02:57 pm
Or "ja, 's goed met jou." But that would be way too jokingly-friendly a translation for the rawther aggressive "whatever".
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 02:58 pm
''t zal wel' could also be a translation.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 03:00 pm
Or there's putting your fingers in your ears and going, "I can't he-ear you, na-na-na-na-na-na!" Razz
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 03:04 pm
Mr. Green I actually hate it when people do that!
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 03:05 pm
I also hated this one:

Wat je zegt ben je zelf,
Met je kont door de helft,
Met je kont (?) in het vuur,
Ben je morgen zuur.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 03:07 pm
Joe

Wurscht ("ist ['ischt'] mir Wurst') is a term from the Middle Ages, known only to senior citizens (or elder statesmen) Laughing
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 03:26 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Joe

Wurscht ("ist ['ischt'] mir Wurst') is a term from the Middle Ages, known only to senior citizens (or elder statesmen) Laughing

My secret identity has been revealed!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 07:34 pm
"das ist mir doch alles wurst", am i an ELDER STATESMAN now ? hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 07:36 pm
or as we used to say : " ik hev 'nen grooten kehr-di-an-nix". is that expression still used at all ? hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 07:38 pm
i berlin they (used to) say : "mir kann keener !"; in hamburg it was/is : "ji koehnt mi all tosomen". hbg
0 Replies