How high would wind speeds have to be to blow a 160-pound human being away?

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 07:40 am
I have hurricane Irene coming my way early tomorrow morning and the winds are expected to be about 75 mph at that time. I just wanted to know whether I could go outside and go for a walk while it's happening. I'm sure there's some scientific formula that one could use to figure this out. Anyone?

jespah

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 08:06 am
@kickycan,
75 mph should be fine for you to walk around in. But do mind the cat.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 08:10 am
@kickycan,
Keep your cell-phone handy, just in case. That might be all the added weight you need for the extra ballast to keep you from lifting off.

Seriously, with all the debris (branches, stones, grit) flying around would make it pretty nasty. If you're insanely curious, I'd try it but wear safety goggles. You would have to walk in a crouch, probably.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 08:50 am
beaufortscale

Rap
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 09:17 am
@kickycan,
Just fill your pockets with a few of your favorite language prescriptions, Kicky. A load of crap like that will keep you anchored in a F5 Tornado. Smile
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 10:18 am
@kickycan,
look up SAFFIR SIMPSON HURRICANE WIND SCALE. (I dont do your homwork). Then, after reading about wjat will be flying about in a tropical storm (I dont believe itll be you unless you get in between some buildings vortex then yer fucked )
In case yer fucked make sure you fill out one of Fatty Gov Christies cards with your name SS number and next of kin. Then just stick it in your shoe. Itll make our job of identifying you that much easier.

Im amazed that you NEw Yorkers are even paying attentionto anybody about the storm.
WAITLL you run out of bagels and toilet paper when yer power grid goes down like PAris Hilton.

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 10:24 am
@farmerman,
http://images2.fanpop.com/images/forum/40000/40226_1250539095822_full.jpg

Quote:
Im amazed that you NEw Yorkers are even paying attentionto anybody about the storm.
WAITLL you run out of bagels and toilet paper when yer power grid goes down like PAris Hilton.

Dem be fightin' words!!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 10:27 am
@kickycan,
Take out your slide rule and figure it out. Remember it will also vary according to which street you are on and if you're approaching a perpendicular or trapezoidal structure and whether it's near a scaffolding built after 1934.

But why worry, it'll be a great chance for all of us to air out our armpits.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 04:14 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I generally don't pay much attention to hurricanes. If the power goes out, I'll notice. And kvetch about.

I got toilet paper. No bagels, but I do have lox. Also Pepsi and Oreos. I'm set for anything.

Edit: I just looked out the window. A little rain. No wind to speak of--yet.
farmerman

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 04:36 pm
@Roberta,
SURE, NOW!?!
Roberta

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 04:56 pm
@farmerman,
Kiddo, I'm not sure about anything. Only going by what's happened in the past, which in the case of hurricanes in NYC, not much. The coastal areas are another story.

I'm sure about the wind--at the moment. There are trees across the street. None of the branches are moving.

If the power goes out, I'll be very surprised and even more pissed.

I hope I'm right for me and a lot of other people.

BTW, Kicky. When I was in high school, we were evacuated from school because of a hurricane. I waited too long to get moving. As I was walking home, a gust of wind came along and nearly knocked me down. A little later, I was hanging onto a lamp post to keep from being blown away. I was much lighter then--maybe 115 pounds.

I made it home safely.

0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 05:54 pm
Windy now.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 06:04 pm
@Roberta,
I was just reading about staying away from windows ten stories and above. Or maybe it was above ten stories. Anyway, wind speed increased with height..
ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 06:13 pm
@ossobuco,
Interesting, and heartening - from a Washington Post blog on the hurricane progressing,

05:00 p.m. Pets in the storm

To accommodate man’s best friend in the storm, cities and states have opened cabs and shelters to pets. All evacuation centers in New York and New Jersey are required to take animals, as are all taxi cabs.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 06:15 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

Windy now.

No wind here so far in Queens. No noticeable wind that is.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 12:17 am
A tornado alert!! Shocked What the hell is happening to this planet?

An oithquake and now a tornado (alert). That doesn't happen here.

I'm worried about the storm surge. Electricity in Manhattan and some other boroughs is underground. Flooding could be a problem.

0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 12:34 am
Farmerman said it best. 75 mph winds ain't gonna pick you up and cary you away. But be careful about what else that wind might've picked up and is blowing right at you -- empty garbage can, broken bottle, etc. etc. Walking in the streets of NYC can be dangerous even in calm weather. Smile

I believe it was during the onslaught of Hurricane Agnes some years back that a Boston University student was killed by being blown off the roof where he'd gone with some other drunken friends to "see the storm up close." Stay off roofs.
Roberta

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 01:45 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Hey, Andy. You talking to me? Or is this just a general statement?

I'm gonna assume general. And good advice it is to those who might be inclined to take a stroll during a hurricane or to get bombed and go up an a roof. Hey, you guys. Don't do that.

No buses. No subways. Few cars. No commercial planes.It sounds the way things sounded in the aftermath of 9/11. One big difference. No war planes flying overhead.

Too quiet for NYC.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 02:11 am
re Andrei: yeah, that sounds like BU, right enough.

re Roberta: Oreos and lox? Gah! Even New Yorkers can't like that combination--better to just go out in the storm and get blown away than eat that.

Roberta

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 02:38 am
@MontereyJack,
Including me. Why in the world would I eat Oreos and lox together? Blech. Oreos go with milk.

Lox goes with a buncha stuff that doesn't include sandwich cookies.

And it would take more than this storm to blow me away these days.

What's BU?