Current events arent really interesting to me.

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 02:33 pm
I just cant get interested in them. so far, the closest to the news that I watch is the Daily Show, and the Colbert Report.
Should I change this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,677 • Replies: 8
No top replies

chai2

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 03:02 pm
@hamilton,
I think those are 2 great shows to watch for news.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 03:07 pm
Oh, I originally got interested in listening to NPR years ago.

I was driving home, and they had a segment where they were going to artifically inseminate an elephant, LIVE on the air. Shocked

They described the hose they were going to put up there, and how they gave the girl elephant her favorite food (alphalfa) to preoccupy her. It was pretty quite, then you heard this one "BRRRFFF!???!!" from the elephant, then a snort, after which she appartantly went back to eating.

I thought to myself "You can BUY entertainment like this." and I was hooked. In between waiting for facinating stuff like that, or they guy with the worlds biggest electric fan collection, or the cat that hadn't come down from a tree for 8 years, I picked up some more day to day stuff, like the economy, elections, etc.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 03:08 pm
@hamilton,
Quote:
Current events arent really interesting to me.
Does that depend on WHAT events r current??
hamilton

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 03:16 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
well, personal ones...
Green Witch

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 03:26 pm
@chai2,
I agree. I love NPR and BBC radio. It's the kind of media that makes me to think and use my powers of visualization. I also read the NYTimes, Huffington Post, YES and SLATE on-line. Regular news casts from places like CNN makes me yawn or get me angry . Local news just makes me depressed. I'm also a big Jon Stewart fan. Colbert, not so much.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 04:08 pm
@chai2,
Very funny, Chai. Makes me want to start listening to NPR again.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 04:31 pm
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

well, personal ones...

Current events are subjective for everyone. Do you really watch those two shows? And you consider yourself a nonfollower of current events?

You already are following plenty of current events if you regularly watch them on a daily basis. At least for the most part.

Do you have access to an alternative weekly local newspaper like the Village Voice? These media sources tend to blend local cultural events (movie, art, etc) and local issues (politics and local concerns of varying scopes).

Local proximaty means personal to some degree.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 06:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
I read the Village Voice and LA Weekly once in a while - and don't live in either place. Happen to like New York and LA.
0 Replies