Help I've just been in an Earthquake

Linkat

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:03 pm
I'm sitting at my desk, my chair is wobbling, I feel dizzy. It looks like my desk is shaking and moving. I think I'm gonna faint. Then I hear others exclaiming an realizing that something is shaking the building.

I look on line - we just had an earthquake. Will we fall in the harbor - our building is right on a pier in the harbor?

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:06 pm
I was just about to start a thread like this. Here in Toronto, i felt myself wobbling back and forth, and thought it was an episode of syncope. Then i looked up at the wall and the mirror was still slowly rocking back and forth. Do you have any idea what the magnitude was, and where it was centered?
Izzie

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:07 pm
@Setanta,
Shocked Shocked
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:07 pm
@Linkat,
Whoa! Region just reported the same.

Are there aftershocks? Or is it all over?
Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:08 pm
@sozobe,
It seems to be over here--the mirror has stopped moving, at least.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:08 pm
@sozobe,
According to our Breaking News in the UK - it's quaked Virginia :shck:

US Geo survey reports earthquake of 5.8 magnitude striking Virginia... with report of buildings shaking incl. Pentagon and Whitehouse... and East Coast

(typing across bottom of TV screen)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:13 pm
@Setanta,
5.8 centered in Virginia.
Linkat

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:14 pm
@Linkat,
An earthquake centered in Virginia was felt as far away as Boston today, with city residents reporting buildings slightly shaking.

The National Weather Service in Taunton reports the quake, reported as 5.8 on the Richter scale, was centered 35 miles northwest of Richmond, Va
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:16 pm
There was a 5.3 earthquake in the southeastern area of Colorado last night.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:19 pm
@Setanta,
It was as far as Toronto....

WASHINGTON -- A magnitude 5.9 earthquake struck the U.S. East Coast from Virginia to at least Boston on Tuesday, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

The earthquake was centered in Mineral, Virginia, which is 92 miles southwest of Washington, D.C., the U.S. Geological Survey said.

The quake was initially reported at 5.8 magnitude.

The quake had a very shallow depth of 0.6 miles.

The Pentagon and U.S. Capitol Building in Washington were evacuated, as were courthouses in New York City. The earthquake sent Washington office workers scurrying into the streets.

A Reuters witness said the quake was felt as far away as Toronto, Canada.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/quake+hits+East+Coast+felt+Toronto/5295200/story.html#ixzz1VsSlWhbc
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:29 pm
@Linkat,
Damn, I'm in New Hampshire and I didn't feel a thing. What time did it happen?
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:30 pm
@rosborne979,

just before 2:00pm...
Linkat

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:32 pm
@Region Philbis,
2 est

We were just given the all clear for our office building
Linkat

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:32 pm
@Linkat,
Oh and by the way - we are potentially going to be hit with a hurricane tomorrow...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:33 pm
@Linkat,

was your building evacuated?
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:34 pm
Hey, earthquakes always have been a California occurrence.....what is this
world coming to?
squinney

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:39 pm
@Linkat,
Felt it real good down here in NC, too. I was on the front porch and it shook me in my chair, shook the end table beside me hard enough for it to knock against the wall. I wasn't sure what I was feeling, but it kept going so I looked back at the house and the whole house was moving. Like you, it started to make me nauseous. Too weird. And, yeah, like being in the direct path of a Cat 4 hurricane isn't enough...
Linkat

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:41 pm
@Region Philbis,
No - they just had an announcement and email saying that there was no damage and no one was injured.

More an fyi.

The funny thing was - everyone seemed to feel like I did, like it was me not the building at first. Then as everyone started talking and realized it was the building, there was a huge relief - everyone seemed more happy that they were not losing their sanity than an actual disaster could have taken place. I said hey - the building could be falling into the water.
Linkat

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:41 pm
@squinney,
Is it coming your way soon?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:43 pm
@CalamityJane,
That's the problem - we didn't know what the heck was going on - now I'm worried about a tsunami (sp?) seeing we are right on the H2O. Probably be more likely at the center of quake I'd imagine.