Help I've just been in an Earthquake

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 04:05 pm
@Linkat,
Glad all here are fine after the scare, which was reasonable to be scared about.
I've been reading about it in the LA Times - with many commenters reporting from an extensive area, including Ohio, Soz.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 04:49 pm
every plate will shift in the coming years after that big shift in japan.

I just learned that texas is on a fault line. for some reason I really thought that the end of the fault line was near mississippi. Its been a while since I have studied the earths crust... eek.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 04:53 pm
@Linkat,
I was in the car driving. I missed it! I did see people all over the sidewalks in their business casual, looking around. I thought "There can't be a multi-building fire alarm." But, then I just dismissed it as some funky Kendell Sq thing.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 05:19 pm
Didn't feel a thing. I was on the Staten Island Ferry.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 05:23 pm
@Thomas,
I didn't feel a thing. I was working in a basement level office.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 05:43 pm
I sure don’t miss them. I remember the last one when I was in CA, shock my condo pretty good, they always scared the heck out of me.
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 06:06 pm
@jcboy,
I have felt 3 aftershocks, including one at 8:03.
jcboy

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 06:11 pm
@realjohnboy,
I remember when I was about twelve years old and we have a pretty good size quake, we had a pool at the time and I looked out the sliding glass doors and the water was splashing from side to side. Not fun.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 06:37 pm
http://abstrusegoose.com/strips/the_similarities_are_eerie.png
http://abstrusegoose.com/strips/the_similarities_are_eerie
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 10:26 pm
@jcboy,
If you'd had a red ruffed lemur, you'd have had a 15 minute warning.

Quote:
The first warnings of the earthquake may have occurred at the National Zoo, where officials said some animals seemed to feel it coming before people did. The red ruffed lemurs began “alarm calling” a full 15 minutes before the quake hit, zoo spokeswoman Pamela Baker-Masson said. In the Great Ape House, Iris, an orangutan, let out a guttural holler 10 seconds before keepers felt the quake. The flamingos huddled together in the water seconds before people felt the rumbling. The rheas got excited. And the hooded mergansers — a kind of duck — dashed for the safety of the water.

For people, it was a lovely, sparkling day for an emergency evacuation. Much of the capital’s workforce had gathered on sidewalks by 2 p.m. The federal government later urged agencies to send non-emergency workers home.

Article

roger

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 10:31 pm
@Irishk,
Oh, good. IrishK has cheated death again.
Irishk

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 10:34 pm
@roger,
I wonder how much those lemurs eat?

Maybe I'll just get a flamingo.

Smile
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 10:40 pm
Here I move from Boston to live on the edge of the most active volcano on the planet (Kilauea) and you guys get to have all the fun. Oh, well...
dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 11:21 pm
@Linkat,
More likely if it happened on the sea floor.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 05:33 am
@Lustig Andrei,

if you start packing now, you can get here in time for sunday's cat 4 hurricane...
Linkat

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 07:03 am
@Region Philbis,
Guess what - I am supposed to be at a concert in Foxboro Sunday night. Great right during the hurricane. Well at least we have club seats so we shouldn't get wet.

I am hoping this hurricane goes out to sea as I have vacation starting Friday.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 09:45 am
@Linkat,
So there it was, I looked at the time at 1:49 and stood up. A few moments there stoold I and I had my hand against the wall when there was a strong force hitting the building. The building shook some. I glanced out the window, thinking maybe a strong burst of wind had slammed in...no, the tree was calm.

I noticed still there was still a gentle vibration in the place, thought maybe a truck had mounted the sidewalk and crashed into the building.

The radiator cover squeaked some (it's metal in a metal frame and it squeaks when it is jostled). I wondered briefly as suddenly that area and the windows were making late vibrating sounds, if
perhaps the boiler had exploded. No smoke maybe it that it wasn't that.

I heard sounds outside, the workman were still out there a few yards away, couldn't figure what they were saying but soon the buzzing of saws and hatchetry resumed.

I headed towards the kitchen, my ear alert for any approaching sirens or hollers to get out fast. Nothing. Opened the door to the hallway, no sounds there. Either Baldy or Prunella, my withered neighbors were or was in their 4th shower of the day. This one starts usually around 1 and lasts until at least 3.. I think it's him because with bivalves
I think it's him because she usually exits during that time, her trademark metal canisters crashing into each other. (her return is always filled with loud sighs.) It sometimes surprises me that they are so into water but yet after flushing their toilet they never seem to run the sink water.

A few minutes later, I decided to put the television on. There was a breaking story.

Oh, it was an earthquake. That explains it. I watched for a while, went through all the channels I could think of to get news on it. They weren't really offering anything major in the way of major damage and injury in the area.

It became tedious after the second hour. How many times are we supposed to listen to the putz from ABC talk about being in the truck and it was

"rocking back and forth."

interesting. He then told us:

I'm superbly great friends with all the cameramen so I thought it was the usual camaraderie, then realized the truck was still swaying. I'd been in every earthquake zone of the world and knew what it was. Right over here is my great good friend Diego Medina, he's a cameraman and we're all great friends us reporters and anchormen, right?"

the poor cameraman looked scared....of the clearly insane reporter.

Channels 9 and 5 are showing the same thing, they're both local spaces owned by Fox. There is a few seconds of time delay though from 1 to the other. I went to 47 and watched it in Spanish for a while. I checked the CNN feed on 133, and they weren't even talking about it, they were over in Libya showing what was happening there. I checked how the markets were doing....apparently earthquakes don't bother them.

I returned went to CBS, poor Pablo Guzman was sweating like the fatted pig just before the Super Bowl. Wiping sweat off his head, he gave his take on things. Then he disappeared. I'd like to see Guzman more often.

I went to the kitchen and prepared a veggie burger sandwich with too much Asiago cheese. Pissed off that I'd opened it before the mozzarella. Smoke filled the place, I'd managed to overcook the food again. I began cutting the sandwich (angled to make 2 triangles) and the phone rang. Someone checking on my well being. Oh I cut the sandwich in half.

Back to the television, they were still doing earthquake matters after 3 hours and nothing else. At least a couple of them had crawls on the bottom to give other news. 2 stations had crawls telling me there was an earthquake.

The madman on ABC was still babbling about being in the truck as it rocked back and forth. By now he was grabbing strangers passing by and introducing them as his good friends. The Mafia Don mumbled something about chopping off more than just fingers and ABC went to the weird looking fellow at Times Square. We didn't see the shaking truck man again....I wonder what 'other parts' the Mafia guy planned to chop off...

Seriously, I have never seen such a scared bunch of wimps in my life. Once it was clear what it was, it was time to move forward. No injuries or fatalities reported? Wonderful. Some damage? That's unfortunate, hopefully they can rebuild and repair quickly.

Nothing fell off any shelves, the wall clock is still in place, the paintings stayed as they were. No cracks in the wall, no windows falling out and shattering. No burst pipes. There was 1 positive out of it all. My rear left gas burner now seems to light immediately. It used to involve setting off the front as well. I guess the quake shook out some sort of debris.

I still wonder about Rocco though.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 10:21 am
@Sturgis,
Good report, man!

Adds, I'm used to all this, but you folks aren't. My only concern is that if this plates sliding stuff keeps up in your region, more than the usual, some building code changes might be in order at some point.
farmerman

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 03:22 pm
@ossobuco,
We missed the earhquake even though we were in Patrick county Va. We were in a car at the time and the suspension and tires damped any seismic motions. SO we went to look at security camera pix. (My companion on this trip is a USGS structural geologist so we got all kjn ds of coopweration)
The ground motion , when seen from security camera pictures varies nicely aroun the "ring of deformation" .

Damages were not trivial but were spotty , mostly based upon where a building was located wrt its ofundational material and what it was made of. We saw a number of brick and block struxtures that cracked and some side walls collapsed.
Damage dropped off wrt distance just as the seismic "thumb rules" predicted for these kinds of rocks.

Interesting two days . I got some fresh new material and photos for my text
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 07:46 pm
@farmerman,
Do post some of those photos here, farmer!
0 Replies