"A 911 caller" reads as "a nice one one caller?"

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 05:17 pm

Context:

On July 16, 2009, Harvard University professor Henry Louis Gates, Jr., was arrested at his Cambridge, Massachusetts home by a local police officer responding to a 911 caller’s report of men breaking and entering the residence. The arrest initiated a series of events that unfolded under the spotlight of the international news media.
More:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Louis_Gates_arrest_controversy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 828 • Replies: 6

Setanta

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 05:31 pm
No. The number 911 is the emergency number in the United States. If there is a crime being committed, a fire, a health emergency, people will dial 911 which will connect them to a local emergency services dispatching center. The call will automatically be recorded, as will the number from which the call was placed. However, the caller does not necessarily give his or her name. So, referring to a "911 caller" means someone, otherwise not identified, who called the emergency services number.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 05:45 pm
@oristarA,
I think this might be a typo and you're asking how it is said aloud. The answer is "nine one one," yes, as opposed to "nine eleven" or "nine-hundred and eleven," for example.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 05:47 pm
@oristarA,
"A 911 caller" reads as "a nine one one caller". Your title suggestion "a nice one one caller" is particularly funny and silly, and makes you look more than a little ridiculous, unfortunately. I sympathise over your public loss of face. Careful attention to detail is a desirable trait.

boomerang

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 06:28 pm
@contrex,
That was probably the dickiest reply I've ever seen to an A2K question.
oristarA

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 07:10 pm
Thank you guys.

Frankly speaking, I myself as well cannot believe my eyes that I would misspell nine for nice. Very Happy Drunk
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 10:08 pm
@boomerang,
Especially considering it came from a former ESL/EFL "teacher".
0 Replies