Death and what happens next?

anthony1312002

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 12:53 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
That's an interesting thought. There is an actual instance of a person who was dead and returned to life. Of note though, he did not make mention of having had any experiences while dead. Note this account found in the Bible. You will note that even those opposed to Jesus could not deny what they had seen. A man actually being brought back to life. Note that after his resurrection, Lazarus does not mention any experiences he had while dead.

(John 11:43-47) And when he had said these things, he cried out with a loud voice: “Laz′a·rus, come on out!” 44 The [man] that had been dead came out with his feet and hands bound with wrappings, and his countenance was bound about with a cloth. Jesus said to them: “Loose him and let him go.” 45 Therefore many of the Jews that had come to Mary and that beheld what he did put faith in him; 46 but some of them went off to the Pharisees and told them the things Jesus did. 47 Consequently the chief priests and the Pharisees gathered the San′he·drin together and began to say: “What are we to do, because this man performs many signs?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 01:12 am
@anthony1312002,
I was told that I died twice during surgery in 2005.
I have no memory of those deaths, tho I distinctly remember
several other out-of-body experiences. Some people with multiple deaths
remember some of those, but not all of them. I have discussed this
with many people who have returned from death, in hospitals.
Some remembered adventures; some of those were verified.

It is also possible that Lazarus had significant commentary
that did not come to the attention of the fellow who wrote it down.
He might have told some people, but not others.
Modern decedents have applied that approach: pearls b4 swine.

David
oralloy

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 05:11 am
@MrSteMurph,
MrSteMurph wrote:
Death scares me. It is the whole concept of not existing that scares me. What can i do that may help me deal with it? And has anyone ever felt this way before?

Death is only non-existence if the Atheists happen to be right, and there is no particular reason to think that they are right.

On the other hand, they might be right. It cannot be conclusively ruled out.

People who have had near death experiences often report something that might be the edges of an afterlife. Hard to tell for sure if it is real though.

Best I can say is: hope against hope that there is some sort of meaningful afterlife.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 05:17 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:
Good point. We obsess about non-existing "after-life" possibilities but have no issues regarding "before birth." Rolling Eyes

Time is not relentlessly pushing us in the direction of our birth. It is relentlessly pushing us in the direction of our death.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 06:29 am
@oralloy,
JLNobody wrote:
Good point. We obsess about non-existing "after-life" possibilities
but have no issues regarding "before birth." Rolling Eyes
oralloy wrote:
Time is not relentlessly pushing us in the direction of our birth.
It is relentlessly pushing us in the direction of our death.
I like the way that it was expressed by Deepak Chopra, M.D., to wit:
"people say that we are human beings with occasional spiritual experiences,
but we are spiritual beings with occasional human experiences."

David
0 Replies

anthony1312002

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 07:14 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID, I've heard of those having out of body experiences as well. And I have no doubt that they did have an experience. But what's interesting about the account of Lazarus is that this man had been dead for 4 days, not 1 or 2. Thus the process of decay had already begun. This is made clear by the reluctance of the family to have the tomb opened as related in conversation between Jesus and Lazarus's sister in vs 39 where it states: "Jesus said: “TAKE the stone away.” Martha, the sister of the deceased, said to him: “Lord, by now he must smell, for it is four days"

It is from this state that he was brought back to life. That adds another level of complexity. Yes, to be totally without life for a long enough period of time that the body had begun to rot, and then from that state to be restored back to life. That truly is facinating.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 11:17 am
@anthony1312002,
U make a good point, qua the length of time involved.
anthony1312002

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2012 05:26 am
@OmSigDAVID,
That caught my attention as well. And this additional thought is also very encouraging. In the Bible at Acts 24:15, it speaks of a time when many who have died will be brought back to life. This is a wonderful prospect for the future. It can give a person who is terminially ill with no hope for a cure, hope. And allow them to face death without fear, knowing that they have a chance to see life again. OmSigDAVID, I really like how you have approached this subject. It shows that you are a thinking person who searches for truth. And that is not something that we see many people doing today.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2012 04:05 pm
@anthony1312002,
Death is a fake; it is a fraud.
There is no death; it is only molting,
like when a lobster leaves his exoskeleton and goes along his merry way, growing.

We were alive for eons before our parents first met.
The problem is one of mis-identification,
in which a person is confused with his human body.

Altho human bodies wear out, people do not.

As Deepak Chopra, M.D. has put it:
"we are thought to be human beings with occasional spiritual experiences,
but we are actually spiritual beings with occasional human experiences."

David
0 Replies

martinies

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2015 04:21 am
@MrSteMurph,
Dont worry you will not die. You will always exist you always have existed there is no future that you will not exist in as you. You is nothing the something you think you are is just a temporary thing existing around you.
0 Replies

martinies

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2015 04:21 am
@MrSteMurph,
Dont worry you will not die. You will always exist you always have existed there is no future that you will not exist in as you. You is nothing the something you think you are is just a temporary thing existing around you.
0 Replies

argome321

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2015 04:39 am
@MrSteMurph,
Death and Taxes
Dead men tell no tales
Death will be the end of me.
That's That's That's all folks
That's all she wrote
The end of everything as you know it.
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2015 01:56 pm
@MrSteMurph,
Death's supposed to scare you. It's built-in to our species along with select others. It's why we look both ways crossing a street and take multivitamins.

Used to be similarly unnerved at the prospect of nothingness until I realized "I had" that nothingness before I was born. Universe got on for over 13 billion years before I was born. But I have no appreciation of that time. Nor will I in the time after my death to the end of the universe.

If there's consolation to be had, consider how the time from our death to the time when the Sun enters its' red-giant phase and engulfs the Earth will seem instaneous. As will the death of the last star when the whole universe goes dark and hovers around Absolute Zero for the rest of time (about a trillion years away, so don't cash in that IRA just yet.)

Nothing in creation lasts forever. Not people or animals, not countries and governments, not planets or stars themselves. Everything that is, eventually isn't. My only fear about my death now is we make peaceful contact with aliens the very next day who tell us how to prevent whatever killed me. Smile

The all-time best answer to questions of what happens next come from your's truly,

I don't know. I've never died before.
0 Replies