What does the love of money mean to you?

Pemerson

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 02:02 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Permerson is someone I treasure.

We differ on this. I am a materialist in the most base sense. I get my joy from the way life around me works, including human interactions and other history. Every little bit of it, except for the cockroaches. Perhaps with distance I can appreciate them.
Of course I understand love, lust, and so on. I think that is all part of us as material.

So, I do agree with what you say, here, but where do we differ? I'm a material girl at a base level, I"d say. I've always had enough that there's beauty and happiness, fun, dedication, love, work. I think I am a workhorse. I thrive on work (physical, too) and constantly seeking knowledge (the work there would be sloughing off from ye old brain any old outdated stuff).
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 05:49 pm
@Pemerson,
Quote:
I agree when you say don't allow anybody to tell you what to do, read, think, or believe. All that does is set in motion a very strong rebellion - hopefully.

Those are my thoughts as well!

I think that all we can do is share our understandings with others and let them decide for themselves whether our understandings hold up to their scrutiny.
I also try to let others know that just because some of the thing I say may seem factual there is a possibility that they could be proven wrong so keep an open mind!

I agree that we should all strive for excellence and I also think that there should be others that are more wealthier than others but not to the degree that I am seeing. They seem to be making this extreme wealth off the backs of the intellectually and environmentally challenged!

I think that if mankind can figure out this one problem than wealth would be in abundance for all but I do think that some things like people having many servants, large private yachts and large private jets may be out of the question!
0 Replies

north

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 05:58 pm

it means greed to the extreme
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 07:03 pm
@JLNobody,
Watching Fido try to instruct JLNobody.

Worth a beer, and I don't even like beer.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 07:04 pm
@reasoning logic,
Ok, I'll have a look at that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 07:07 pm
@Pemerson,
late to read.

Back when I figure out what I think.

I guess we are similar. I think I talked wrong.

0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 07:09 pm
I don't know for sure about my love for money, but I'm sure that I hate Rupert Murdoch's money.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 07:23 pm
@JLNobody,
I think that I can see where you are coming from.

If we were able to understand, "that we all have the love of money in us and that it is taught to us from an early age we might be able to stop the aggressive monopolies and grand scale criminal activities that we have. We will always have thieves but do we have too have them on the level that we do?
There will be no utopia but it may seem as one when compared to the statuesque!
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 07:40 pm
@reasoning logic,
I have no love for money (unless you take all reasonable meaning out of the word 'love' and give it some esoteric definition that I'm not aware of). I don't even like money. I love some of the things that money can buy but that's not the same thing. I would never go out of my way to acquire more wealth than I can reasonably use right now. An honest day's pay for an honest day's work is quite enough for me. And if I do acquire a little more than what I need at the moment, my instinct is to spend it quickly while it still has some value. Inflation works absolute havoc on what one thought was prudent savings. It costs me seven or eight dollars these days to buy some things that I used to get for .25 cents.

Wealth is an illusion, like so many things in the material world.
north

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 08:19 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

I have no love for money (unless you take all reasonable meaning out of the word 'love' and give it some esoteric definition that I'm not aware of). I don't even like money. I love some of the things that money can buy but that's not the same thing. I would never go out of my way to acquire more wealth than I can reasonably use right now. An honest day's pay for an honest day's work is quite enough for me. And if I do acquire a little more than what I need at the moment, my instinct is to spend it quickly while it still has some value. Inflation works absolute havoc on what one thought was prudent savings. It costs me seven or eight dollars these days to buy some things that I used to get for .25 cents.

how is wealth an illusion to those with wealth ?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 08:22 pm
@north,
north wrote:

Lustig Andrei wrote:

In that those who have it are unaware that what they have is, in reality, worthless.
parados

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 08:29 pm
@reasoning logic,
What do you find to disagree with about my example?

Do you think the value of the stock isn't wealth?

Do you think I took the value that the stock gained from someone else? If so, then who did I take it from?
parados

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 08:30 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
...actually you took it from what people ought to value more at one time or another

I don't understand this statement. Can you clarify?

How can I take wealth from what people ought to value an item?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 08:34 pm
@Fido,
Quote:
Really??? Dig up the bones of Michael De Montaingne and call him a liar... He said the gain of one is the loss of another... Maybe the laws of profit and loss have changed since then, but clearly, as the rich grow richer, the poor grow more hopeless...

Perhaps you could provide his words. I see no reason to argue with your translation.

It is not mutually exclusive. Sometimes the gain of one is the loss of another but often it is a gain for both when a transaction is made.

If I have gold but need a chicken and someone else has a chicken and wants gold who loses in the transaction of exchanging gold for a chicken?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 08:38 pm
@Fido,
One small problem Fido.
Montaigne's essay says nothing about wealth and how it is only the result of taking wealth from others.
This is from the essay and is it's essence.
Quote:
A physician takes no pleasure in the health even of his friends, says the ancient Greek comic writer, nor a soldier in the peace of his country, and so of the rest.
0 Replies

north

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 08:39 pm
@Lustig Andrei,

north wrote:

Lustig Andrei wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

In that those who have it are unaware that what they have is, in reality, worthless.

really

they learn to fly a helicopter because they have the wealth

is that skill worthless then ?
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 06:19 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
I have no love for money (unless you take all reasonable meaning out of the word 'love' and give it some esoteric definition that I'm not aware of).

It is a type of love that does not show sympathy or empathy but it is a love that people are willing to die for, people are also willing to put their selves ahead of their love ones for it as well!

It seems as though we have signed a social contract within our minds thousands of years that has led us on this coarse of great division between the very wealthy and the common people. this has caused more problems than any of us can think up.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 12:03 pm
@JLNobody,
Why do I hate Murdock's money? Because of what he does with it. I have no envy at all regarding the luxury enjoyed by the mega-rich. They can have many houses, cars, etc. That's no skin off my nose. But when they buy newspapers, and other forms of media, and hire lobbyists to undermine the legitimate efforts of ethical statesmen and the will of the people, that's good grounds for disdain.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 03:54 pm
This is only a point of view that someone holds and I do not know if it is true! Do you?
There is so much propaganda out there that it is often hard for me to decipher the truth!

JLNobody

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 05:57 pm
@reasoning logic,
As far as I can tell there is no (absolute) truth, only interpretations or points of view. I look for interpretations that are constructive, fair, humane and consistent with as much evidence as possible. But I do not expect to have a grip on so much evidence that I'll have the power to embarrass others into abandoning their points of view in favor of mine.