What does the love of money mean to you?

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 04:34 pm
@reasoning logic,
That's a purported nine plus minutes of listening to stuff I cannot quite hear.

No, thank you.

Say what you think.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 04:41 pm
@Pemerson,
Permerson is someone I treasure.

We differ on this. I am a materialist in the most base sense. I get my joy from the way life around me works, including human interactions and other history. Every little bit of it, except for the cockroaches. Perhaps with distance I can appreciate them.

Of course I understand love, lust, and so on. I think that is all part of us as material.
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 04:42 pm
@Pemerson,
Great questions!

Quote:
Really? Yes! Maybe you mistake being taught to love money with the idea of striving for excellence. No! People pay money for excellence in any form, no? Yes!

I am not quite ready to share this point of view because I think it is complex and I would like to share other parts of my frame of reference before I go into that heresy!
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 04:57 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
That's a purported nine plus minutes of listening to stuff I cannot quite hear.

As you have noted it is allot to say but I think it is of great value!

Quote:
No, thank you.

If you were deaf I would take the time and explain it but you do not seem to have an interest in what I would call factual explanations but I could be wrong as I do get things wrong at times!

Quote:
Say what you think.

I just did!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 05:05 pm
@reasoning logic,
I am fairly deaf, to the point that I can't understand a lot of the videos hurling at me when I click on news sites. So are some others here, somewhat deaf, or really Deaf.
You make a lot of assumptions.
I'm also sight limited.
However, I am not stupid, much.

Go ahead and explain it to me.
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 05:45 pm
@ossobuco,
I do apologize if I assumed and you are correct I am bad at that but I am sure that I am not alone! It is easiest to know when someone is assuming when the subject being assumed is about ourselves!

I am slow at the typing and poor at explaining but I will do my best soon If anyone else would also be kind and help me explain some of these things to others I would be grateful!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 05:31 am
Quote:
What does the love of money mean to you?
It means love of comfort, love of convenience and love of beauty in one's life.

David
Fido

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 05:40 am
@JLNobody,
You misunderstand the Aztec Empire as much as you misunderstand their society... It was reported tha Montezuma took his meals with his clan and that when the Spanish tride to control the people by their control of him, that they shot arrows at him... Clearly they understood the relationship of their nobility to the mass of their people better than they understood his... Montezuma lived in a true commonwealth... The unfortunate fact of the matter was that after many long years of domination in the Area of Mexico, that warfare had become highly ritualized for the Aztec, while it was a quite practical matter with the Spanish... It did not help that all the subject Nations were easily prevailed upon to turn against the Aztecs, or that disease was easily spred... Everywhere, that natives loved what we had, and wanted trade, but they would kill as easily for trading rights as for anything else... In North America a rodent killed many that disease did not kill, because for the beaver native killed native for the benefit of no one but the whites...

In any event, what a person can be said to own, whether wealth or poverty depends upon his conception of property which is only a social form, after all... In Feudalism, for example, not king, nor lord, nor peasant could be said to "own the land"... The land was held in common with each having rights in it without anyone holding a clear title... That nonsense grew out of later political power...
JLNobody

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 03:16 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David, I do not express agreement with you often--mainly because of your position on death--but that's all right. I agree with you wholeheartedly on what REALLY matters your emphasis on the importance of BEAUTY for life. For that I appreciate you.
Your friend, JLN
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 03:29 pm
@Fido,
Fido, what did I say that suggests so much "misunderstanding" of Aztec culture and society? I don't see that I have disagreed with anything that you cited, even though I don't recognize all of it as salient for the Aztecs as you suggest. Montezuma the II's clan may have had traits of a "commonwealth", but his society was clearly hierachically ordered, and for them warfare was mainly for tax/tribute purposes and the "War of the Flowers" served that goal as well ritualistic ends.
Pemerson

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 05:16 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I agree with your summation, too. Beauty, the most.

Pemerson

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 05:25 pm
@reasoning logic,
Maybe I'm not understanding your question. Who is teaching the love for money? I see where teachers, be they parents, friends, bosses, etc., would suggest the study of some subject they at least think they know will pay enough money for the length of time it takes to live a life, and retire.

What I don't get is who you think is doing the teaching. I went for the work that I loved doing, and am not at all sure people still in the throes of learning a profession are taught that today.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 05:43 pm
@ossobuco,
Hi Ossobuco. This is what the video had to say in a nut shell so to speak!

Beliefs have emotional attachments to them!

Don't believe in the papers don't believe whats on TV don't believe what is on the internet don't believe activist don't believe special interest groups don't believe corporations don't believe scientist don't believe priest don't believe your friends don't believe banks don't believe me and don't even believe your own senses!

Having beliefs is kind of a bad thing! There is no way to know anything for sure with certainty and truth ever! Instead of wasting time in believing this or that believe nothing but understand as much as you can. Understandings are only approximations they are ever changing, they are evolving,

New facts and new information can sometimes turn your understandings over on their heads.

If you are wrong about something and are corrected you do not have to fill stupid in believing in something that was wrong instead you can rejoice in you new understanding!

There was much more to the video, I wish you were able to hear it!
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 06:00 pm
@Pemerson,
Quote:
Who is teaching the love for money?

I think that we have all been doing it, I think it is natural but I do not think that it is best for the majority of the people!

Kind of like cancer, it may be a part of nature but I do not think that it is best for us!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 06:52 pm
@Pemerson,
Pemerson wrote:
I agree with your summation, too. Beauty, the most.
Thank u.

David
Fido

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 06:53 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Fido, what did I say that suggests so much "misunderstanding" of Aztec culture and society? I don't see that I have disagreed with anything that you cited, even though I don't recognize all of it as salient for the Aztecs as you suggest. Montezuma the II's clan may have had traits of a "commonwealth", but his society was clearly hierachically ordered, and for them warfare was mainly for tax/tribute purposes and the "War of the Flowers" served that goal as well ritualistic ends.
You said that Aztec emperors had wealth... In fact, they had little of the power that makes Emperors in our understanding of the word... They lived collectively and communistically, and even if as chief such as Montezuma could accept tribute for his clan or his people he was essentially living in a gentile society with a gentile form of government without any of the modern sense of wealth a private property... Danial Morgan wrote a great piece in the 1800s called Montezuma's Dinner, and as far as I know his opinion has never been disproved... He tried to tell the Spanish that he did not talk for all the Aztecs... In fact, we often made the same mistakes in expecting chiefs to sign treaties we had no intention of following... We wanted the words of individuals to bind whole nations when they were democracies, and highly consentual... Until the revolutionary war the Iroquois never settled any issue without consensus... And it was a long drawn out process where each person had a say, but consensus is democracy and the strength of democracy compared to which majority rule is only a shadow puppet...
JLNobody

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 09:14 pm
@Fido,
Good points. I agree that the Western powers are not the best models for analyzing Aztec society, but there was some private property, even slaves were privately owned. The wealthiest class was that of the long-distance merchants (the pochteca) even though they had virtually no formal political strength ( a society within the society).
Fido

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 05:13 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Good points. I agree that the Western powers are not the best models for analyzing Aztec society, but there was some private property, even slaves were privately owned. The wealthiest class was that of the long-distance merchants (the pochteca) even though they had virtually no formal political strength ( a society within the society).
All I know is that if you like Turkey at Thanksgiving; thank an Aztec... They supposedly domesticated turkeys...
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 01:04 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Consider the lillies of the field; they neither work nor toil, yet they are arrayed in such beauty...

Not quite the correct quote but I'm not looking it up. I just found explanations for this kind of thing said throughout that black book so I'm giving myself the right to quote from it.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 01:44 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Like the question asks! What does the love of money mean to you?
When do you think that the love of money began?
Do you think that you have the love of money and if so do you teach it to others?
It may seem odd but I think that it is taught by everyone I know!

OK, I watched the long grusome video last night. Probably the worst example of what man has done to man. The French Revolution just grew..and grew. The National Razer, huh?

I read the book Paris in the Terror at age 26. My two little tots were taking a nap when I heard something happening outside, got up, looked out this window over our garage, down the street I saw a policeman clubbing something in the grass. So glad I didn't rush out to check out the scene, as later the neighbors said he was killing a pitt bull.

Geeez, it was my friend's family pet I found out. Her two little kids were just torn up over the loss of their pet in this hidious manner. I think the dog was chasing another neighbor's Beagle hound that howls like crazy when he chases a rabbit, or whatever. I don't know who called the police. This in the New England countryside where our kids and dogs all ran around together.

But, having told that, I agree when you say don't allow anybody to tell you what to do, read, think, or believe. All that does is set in motion a very strong rebellion - hopefully.