What does "with all its quirks and excesses" mean?

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 09:36 pm
Then I had a taste of the Soviet regime, with all its quirks and excesses, before I left Hungary and became a student in London School of Economics. What does "with all its quirks and excesses" in this sentece mean? By the way, the sentece is from George Soros' The Age of Fallibility
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,146 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Alison-cfau
Lustig Andrei
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 02:23 am
@Alison-cfau,
Well, quite simply, the Soviet regime was considered by many to be a quirky and excessively repressive regime. What's not to undertsand?
Alison-cfau

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 06:26 am
@Lustig Andrei,
I got it~ Thx.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 07:26 am
@Alison-cfau,
A lot of the bureaucracy associated with the Soviet Union could be described as 'quirky,' and the excesses are to be found in all dictatorial regimes.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 08:29 am
@Alison-cfau,
Quirks are unusual policies or procedures. If an actor had to have grapefruit juice chilled to 5C every morning, that is a quirk. Quirks are unusual but not necessarily bad.

Excesses are things taken to extremes and is generally considered bad. If every official was rewarded with a car and chauffer, that would be an excess.
0 Replies