Indigenous, non-English languages struggle to survive in U.S.

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 12:16 pm
When I was in grammar school, I had a retired opera singer as a teacher in my music and singing class. He feared that native American Indian languages would be lost so he collected hundreds of songs to save them by recording, film and writing. I enjoyed his singing many of them. ---BBB

July 29, 2011
Indigenous, non-English languages struggle to survive in U.S.
By Jarondakie Patrick | McClatchy Newspapers

WASHINGTON — Frankie Quimby of the Georgia Sea Island Singers remembers when the Geechee language, formally known as Gullah, was unpopular and known as the language of the uneducated.

"It was a time when black history was not taught in schools," Quimby said. "The teachers said (students) have lost their heritage."

Indigenous and non-English languages such as Gullah — which originated with slaves from West Africa and includes some English — face a host of obstacles to survival in today's United States, including a lack of resources, the fact that most of the speakers are dying off and a stigma that the languages are for uneducated people. But some schools and programs are fighting that stigma and trying to preserve these languages for a new generation.

According to Ethnologue, an encyclopedia of the world's languages, 60 languages have become extinct in the U.S. since 1950 and 94 languages are in danger of becoming extinct.

Gullah, which is spoken by an unknown number of descendants of West African slaves along the Atlantic coastal plains of South Carolina and Georgia, carries "a certain stigma...as there often is with language varieties spoken by African-Americans in this country," said Tracey Weldon, an associate professor of linguistics at the University of South Carolina.

Quimby said that what it meant to be Gullah had changed. In 2005 the American Bible Society and the Penn Center at St. Helena Island, S.C., had the Bible translated into Gullah.

Recently, a teacher from a summer school in the Gullah community invited Quimby to come and share some language, games and Gullah culture with the students.

Michael Allen, the coordinator of the Gullah/Geechee Cultural Heritage Corridor, a program of the National Park Service, said that summer camps at which performers came to sing and dance in Gullah helped kids learn about their heritage.

"Language is recognized as a central part of understanding the culture," Allen said.

Weldon said she now hears some of her students embracing their Geechee heritage.

"It's changing in the way it's being used," she said.

Preserving language has become important to many cultures that fear their heritage will be lost. For American Indians, some help could be provided by the Native Class Act, a bill introduced in June by Sen. Daniel Akaka, D-Hawaii, that would help American Indian reservations and communities strengthen language- and culture-based education and promote teacher training and development.

"Teaching young people through their cultures and traditions helps them to learn well, because culture and traditions are the roots of their lives," Akaka said at a recent hearing on expanding culture-based education.

More than 90 percent of Indian students attend public schools operated by their local school districts, which don't include instruction in American Indian languages, William Mendoza, the acting director of the White House Initiative for Tribal Colleges and Universities at the Department of Education, testified at the hearing.

"There are few venues for collaboration between tribes and states, even in the case of school district-operated public schools located on tribal lands," Mendoza said.

The New Kituwah Academy in Cherokee, N.C., which has 60 students, found that creating an immersion school helps children learn about their culture, identity and, most importantly, the language.

Gilliam Jackson, the Kituwah Academy administrator, said some parents were apprehensive about the small classes and isolation from public North Carolina schools.

"There's always a fear my child is not going to be able to operate in what they call 'the real world,' " Jackson said.

The academy has much smaller classes than most private schools in North Carolina do, with three students to a class in the preschool and only two to a class in the elementary school. Jackson said this allowed children who needed more attention in certain subjects to receive it.

Students also can be exposed to Cherokee culture through the Cherokee Central School System, which operates schools on Cherokee reservations in North Carolina, Jackson said the language could effectively be dead in 25 years if students weren't immersed in conversational language.

Most fluent speakers in the area were in their late 50s, Jackson said.

"The Cherokee Central School System exposes students to (the Cherokee words for) colors, food and animals, but that doesn't produce speakers," Jackson said, adding that learning colors and how to count to 20 in Cherokee wasn't going to preserve the language.

According to the Alaska Native Language Center, a research center that documents and teaches native languages in Alaska, Central Alaskan Yupik is the largest of the state's native languages and is still the first language spoken by native children in 17 Yupik villages. With 68 villages in all, home to about 21,000 people, there are about 10,000 Yupik speakers.

Lawrence Kaplan, the director of the Alaska Native Language Center, said the center assists a lot of native and non-natives in learning the language. The center also publishes dictionaries, grammar, and books that can be used for training and teaching.

Kaplan said that while there were about 2,000 Alaskan speakers of the Inupiaq language, there were many more in Canada and Greenland. He said that American culture used to place a greater importance on assimilation and requiring that all Americans speak English — although that's slowly changing.

"There may be a greater tolerance of bilingual (speakers) in other countries," Kaplan said. In the past, he said, the message from American schools was "We should assimilate and learn English," that that's what it meant to be an American.

"Those ideas are no longer put forth by schools or government entities," Kaplan said.

Read more: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/07/29/118741/indigenous-non-english-languages.html#ixzz1TWF0oXa1

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 09:03 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Native American Indian songs:

http://www.matoska.com/cgibin/gencat.cgi?AC=genpage&CF=music&DF=intro_music.htm&DS=Introduction+to+Native+American+Music&SRC=GOOGLE&gclid=CNXj0O-qqaoCFQhzgwodR0R_Vw
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 02:10 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
They're struggling to survive because they are terminal.

I can understand why people who consider themselves, in some way, part of the cultures that gave birth to these moribund tongues would like to see them preserved, but it's little more than nostalgia.

First and foremost, language is a means to communicate. If the number of people who can or want to communicate in a given language percipitously falls, it begins to die. Recording people speaking in a terminal language isn't preserving it, it's simply making a historical record of it.

Museums around the world keep thousands of stone age relics, and, generally speaking, I'm glad they do , but most people would consider it pretty silly to spend money on keeping their usage current.

I've seen people who teach themselves how to use these ancient tools and weapons and it's pretty cool, but it hardly is a major effort in terms of keeping our heritage alive.

If young people want to learn and use the languages of their forefathers, that seems like a cool idea. If people want to donate their personal funds to it, that's great of them, but this is just the sort of thing that tax dollars should go to fund.

If we can't afford to pay all SS benefits, we sure as he'll can't afford to pay for the preservation of Geechee or Crow.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2011 02:25 am
Rosetta Stone did a Navajo language project at the community college. Seems they have some sort of dying language program, not that Navajo is not in everyday use. Some speak English only: some Navajo only. Most speak both. The ones that don't speak Navajo are often trying to learn.

Just by way of mention, I guess.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2011 05:14 pm
@roger,
Not just by the way.

This is just how it should work.

Folks who want to preserve a dying language should seek private sponsorship from groups who share their sense of the importance of such an effort, or who view it as an opportunity to further their business...or both.

How do federal funds get spent on such projects?

Certainly never by virtue of a referendum of the American people, and rarely through a process of vigorous consideration and debate conducted by our elected representatives.

Either it's a pet project of some lawmaker, or, more likely, it's a way for that lawmaker to help his or her chances of getting re-elected. It's earmarked to a bill and everyone who wants their earmarks granted turns a blind eye.

I think it's cool that Navajoes want to preserve their ancient language, but I do not in any way see such a goal as directly or indirectly beneficial to the Amercian people who send a large portion of their earnings to DC with the expectation that they will spend it wisely and in a manner which advances the general welfare of the population.

As cool as I think it is, I just can't see me ever donating money to the cause unless a nice young Navajo approaches me on the street or in a mall.

I'm not picking on Navajos (although of all of the tribes, they surely have enough tribal wealth to Ailey support such projects if they consider them crucial), nor on the handful of people who want to learn Geechee, because their great-grandparents spoke it. This issue is simply a good example of how our tax dollars are being misspent and why we need to pull way back on the reins of lawmakers.

In truth, the world would be a better place (not a perfect place) if we all spoke one language. Different tongues lead to misunderstanding and misunderstanding can lead to conflicts.

An argument can easily be made that humanity is far better served by adopting one language than preserving dying ones.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2011 06:32 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Your opinion makes me wonder why Latin is still being taught in schools and universities. Why do you think this happens?

BBB
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2011 09:21 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Let's face it, it's not really being taught in the mainstream.

How many High Scools in American even offer a course in Latin?

I'm sure you can find a latin course at a University but you can also find Navajo and Geechee courses.

Latin, unlike indigenous American languages is a foundation for many modern tongues and still is used, to some extent, in scientific circles. In addition, there are quite a few scholarly and literary works that were originally written in latin and can best be appreciated by someone who is knowledageble of what is still a dead language.

There's no substantive reason to learn latin in order to speak it, and there are no written works of worth in indigenous American languages. One learns latin to read it it and one learns Navajo and Geechee to speak it.

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2011 11:27 pm
We preserve ancient archaeological sites, museum pieces ... are proud of our heritage - those are a unique and irreplaceable part of our global heritage as well.

You certainly need the knowledge of a language to understand the people having used it.

Latin is taught here (in Germany) at any 'gymnasium' (highschool/grammar school).
Personally, I think that it is very useful to have some knowledge of it, at least when you live in Europe and/or are interested in history and/or law.

My best example, how old languages can survive, is Saterland Frisian. And what I like most about it, is that the American professor Marron Curtis Fort was the main person not only helping it to survive but to be spoken again (more) and spread in usage.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 11:23 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
We preserve ancient archaeological sites, museum pieces ... are proud of our heritage - those are a unique and irreplaceable part of our global heritage as well.

Which I have acknowledged

Quote:
You certainly need the knowledge of a language to understand the people having used it.

Having the knowledge of a people's language will certainly enhance understanding of them and their culture, but how well do we need to understand every peoples that have lived upon the earth? If you make a scholastic career of studying an isolated segment of humanity than surely it would be ideal for you to know their language, but how important is that to the wider world?

Clearly indigenous American languages or Saterland Frisan for that matter are not as important as Latin in understanding various aspects of our modern world. This doesn't mean that there is no value in studying these languages.

I'm actually in favor of spending some amount of tax dollars in pursuing knowledge simply for the sake of knowing. What I am not in favor of is spending tax dollars to preserve the everyday usage of dead or terminal languages.

Unfortunately there really is a limit to what governments can spend. Too many tend to think this is not the case, but eventually the bill will come due and bankruptcy will prevent them from spending more.

It seems to me that true seekers of knowledge should be even more outraged than I am over the fact that our government spends billions of dollars funding jello-wrestling in the antarctic, exercising shrimps on treadmills, and other equally idiotic "scientific" studies.

American Democrats and global liberals in general remind me of my children when they were very young.

As children are inclined to do, they would ask that I buy for them anything that struck their fancies. When I explained to them that we only had so much money and that it didn't make sense to spend it on Lava Lamps and Painted Fiddler Crabs, they very often replied: "Well, just go to the machine (ATM) and get more."

This was sort of cute coming from kids, but it is utterly irresponsible coming from adults.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 12:30 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Having the knowledge of a people's language will certainly enhance understanding of them and their culture, but how well do we need to understand every peoples that have lived upon the earth? If you make a scholastic career of studying an isolated segment of humanity than surely it would be ideal for you to know their language, but how important is that to the wider world?

Okay, I'm totally biased here.

But I agree that it's not important to wider world. Books aren't, literature, music ... - we could do without it.

But that's not how we should narrow and boil down the possibilities of our intelligence and brainpower. However, I think that I'm too conservative here with my understanding of culture, humanity etc ...
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 11:11 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Okay, I'm totally biased here.

But I agree that it's not important to wider world. Books aren't, literature, music ... - we could do without it.

But that's not how we should narrow and boil down the possibilities of our intelligence and brainpower. However, I think that I'm too conservative here with my understanding of culture, humanity etc ...

You do know that resources are limited don't you?

The study of obscure dead or terminal languages is hardly comparable to literature and music in general.

If individuals want to devote their lives or their money to the study and preservation of these languages, they're more than welcome to.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 11:52 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

The study of obscure dead or terminal languages is hardly comparable to literature and music in general.

In my opinion, these "obscure dead" or "terminal" languages are vital to our culture, help to understand the world we now live in.

But perhaps it's true: why should someone try to understand/read Shakespeare, who wrote in Early Modern English, the very same language, the King James Bible was written in?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 03:08 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Your attempts at irony are hurting your argument.

Let's be clear (which is so often difficult with you Walter), I am not arguing that there is no value in studying and preserving dead and dying languages. I am arguing that in a world of limited public resources where people try to tell us that cuts in social programs inevitably lead to riots in the streets, the value doesn't even come close to warranting public funding.
0 Replies