djjd62

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 04:19 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
why not?

it's said, "We must eat a peck of dirt before we die"
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 06:03 pm
Record for Cambridge/Boston is 103 which was set in 1926. By some counts (though not our official temp which is out at Logan) we surpassed that record.

Still over 94 degrees at 8pm. And no A/C.
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 10:26 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x336/RegionPhilbis/acttemp_600x405.jpg[/url]

Hottest spot in the US ... as usual.

We've actually had a very mild summer here in the Valley of the Sun. We've been having a string of mid-100 degree days, but a few years ago I vividly recall one July where every day in the month was over 110.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 11:37 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
What is " The CBC " ??

Doesn't surprise me in the least.
jespah

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 06:13 am
@JTT,
It was so hot yesterday, I took a shower at 2 PM (that part in itself is not too surprising) and I of course reapplied stick deodorant. Which was hot.

There's nothin' like hot stick deodorant when it's 102 out.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 08:04 am
@littlek,

we tied the july 22nd record, but missed the all-time record by one measly degree...

Quote:
Until yesterday, Boston’s thermometers had not seen 103 degrees on a July 22 since 1926,
but the heat wave baking the East Coast reached the record-tying temperature at 3:52 p.m.,
testing New England’s power grid and punishing anyone who stepped outside.

The last time Massachusetts hit 100 degrees was July 6, 2010, and the all-time record for Boston
is 104 degrees, set July 4, 1911.
(today's globe)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 08:52 am
@patiodog,
patiodog wrote:
...swamp butt...

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 03:18 pm
http://cdn-www.i-am-bored.com/media/hotcookiesincar.jpg
DrewDad

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 03:54 pm
@DrewDad,
http://consumerist.com/2011/07/cool-your-car-down-quickly-with-this-trick.html
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 04:46 pm
@Setanta,
I gotta say this. Couple of years ago I moved from nordic, icy, chilly Boston to this supposedly hot spot in the Sandwich Islands called the island of Hawaii. It's somewhere in the high 70s (Fahrenheit) right now (just as it was in mid-January). There's a nice breeze off the ocean, so it doesn't seem oppressive at all. If it gets too warm indoors, I just turn on the big ceiling fan which comes with the apartment and makes me think I'm on one of the sets of Casablanca. I have no room air-conditioner. It woule be a waste of electricity; there's no need for it. (In Boston, I would have absolutely died w/o AC in July and August.)

It's a kind of schadenfreude, I guess, to be sitting here in Hawaii, listening to the news about how people are suffering from the heat in New England. Heh-heh-heh.

(BTW, the temperature at the Mauna Kea summit at 7 p.m. local time last night was 34 degrees F., just barely above freezing. One night about a week ago it was 31 degrees. This is July in the Tropics, mind you.)
ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 04:52 pm
@DrewDad,
oooooh, good photo!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 09:19 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
If it gets too warm indoors, I just turn on the big ceiling fan which comes with the apartment and makes me think I'm on one of the sets of Casablanca. I have no room air-conditioner. It woule be a waste of electricity; there's no need for it. (In Boston, I would have absolutely died w/o AC in July and August.)
we had a couple of Bahstin summers like that fairly recently, but i fear we have seen the last of 'em...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 05:39 pm
It's SEVENTY-TWO!!

Man, that feels miraculous just now.

Had a rip-roaring storm come through, lots of lovely rain, and did I mention that it's SEVENTY-TWO degrees?

It's due to get hot again quick (90's yadda yadda) but right now it's niiiiiice.
Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 03:27 am
@sozobe,
Now i hate you and Patiodog . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 03:50 am
Whoa ! ! ! Rumble grumble in the distance, and moving in . . . could it be . . . thunderboomers ? ! ? ! ?
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 01:58 pm
Is anybody else sick of the term "heat index"? It's 95 degrees today, but the heat index is 100, therefore it feels like 100. What does 100 feel like? When it's 100 it feels like 105, absurdum ad infinitum.
And heat index ignores wind speed, which makes it feel cooler. So one could say, "It's 95, but the heat index is 105, but with the breeze index it feels like 92, but step into the sunlight and it feels like 115."

I would be happier if the weathermen just gave us the temperture, the humidity, and the wind speed. I'll figure out how hot it feels.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 04:29 am

In a country which suffers debilitating heat, does no-one ever dig a heat shelter?

Cellars and basements are good in heat, caves too. If you had a bit of land, you could create an underground room for the worst days of the heat, and sleep down there to save running the AC all the time.
Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 04:48 am
@McTag,
I don't think you really understand how pervasive the heat and humidity are. Sure, it's cooler in the basement--but when the outside termperature is over 100 degrees, "cooler" doesn't necessarily equate with cool.
farmerman

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 05:04 am
@Setanta,
AHHHHHHHHHH, weve just hd a break in the heat for a few days. Last night it went down to 63, (F) and there was a nice NW breeze over the cornfields.

We are dangerously low on precip though. The corn is throwing tassle and when its cob fporming time, the plants need a good drink and we dont much use irrigation in this part of the world
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 03:58 pm
@Setanta,
Actually, my basement is lovely when it's hot and humid out.

Of course, someday the compressor in the dehumidifier will conk out, and that will be the end of the that.