FRYIN' EGGS ON THE SIDEWALK

wayne

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 06:54 am
@ehBeth,
We haven't had the humidity too bad yet, a few evenings ago the clouds moved in right at sunset and the humidity shot up real fast. It was horrible, you couldn't hardly breath.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 07:07 am
@sozobe,
The city shut down a lot of pools to save money a few years ago (it might have been the school district shutting down the pools at some of the local schools). Yesterday, one of the community pools said it had 4000 visitors--people were lining up outside to get in.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 07:46 am
@Setanta,
Nearly two dozen dead as heat wave moves east

Quote:
A heat wave baking the central and southern United States was blamed on Wednesday for at least 22 deaths this week as forecasters warned that the abnormally hot weather could last into August as it moves east.

Shock forecast: NOAA predicts heat index of 116 in Washington, D.C. Friday

Quote:
NOAA has upped its peak heat index prediction for D.C. Friday to a stunning, sweltering 116 degrees. Remarkably, it predicts there is a 90 percent chance it will reach at least 110 and a 100 percent chance of at least 105. Earlier today, NOAA was predicting a maximum heat index of 109 Friday.

And poor Richmond, Va.! NOAA projects its heat index will soar to a stifling 118 degrees.

DrewDad

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 07:48 am
@DrewDad,
And in Austin (and most of Texas), we're in the middle of a heat wave AND a drought.

Drought settles into lower Colorado River basin

Quote:
Nearly all of Texas is in a serious drought, and nearly two-thirds of the state — including most of Central Texas and the lower Colorado River basin — is entering the summer season in exceptional drought, the most severe category.

The eight months from October 2010 through May 2011 have been the driest eight-month period on record for Texas since 1895. Rainfall in Austin was 38 percent of normal, and Wharton rainfall was 30 percent of normal.

Temperatures also have hit triple digits earlier than usual this year, with three 100+-degree days in Austin in May. The period from March through May in Austin was the hottest such period on record, punctuated by the hottest April Austin has experienced. The trend for hot, dry conditions is continuing in June.

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 07:51 am
@DrewDad,
Oof.

We're doing OK for rain, that does make a big difference.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 07:58 am
@sozobe,
The heat is really rough on elderly folks who don't have air conditioning.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 09:35 am
@DrewDad,
The CBC reported that deaths from heat in the United States exceed deaths from hurricanes and tornadoes combined. They had a horrible death toll in Chicago several years back.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 09:38 am
@Setanta,
What is " The CBC " ??
Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 09:39 am
@OmSigDAVID,
The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation . . .
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 10:57 am
We had the same heat back when warm blooded animals were evolving. I thought that is why our normal body temperature is 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 04:17 pm

ambled out of the comfy climate-controlled environment of my office @ 3pm to see what all the fuss was about.

i was immediately enveloped by a wall of hot air -- thanx to wind gusts upwards of 25 mph.

it felt like i was standing in front of an enormous space heater on full blast.

circled the block and ducked back inside.

need to remember what that feels like in 6 months when there's a foot of snow on the ground and my teeth are chattering...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 05:13 pm
In one CBC story, they said a local television station was broadcasting weather reports from six months ago just so people would have some perspective . . .
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 05:21 pm
Our hot and humid is breaking today. Bit of a breeze up in Fond du Lac this morning, and getting back into Madison at 5pm the temp in my car only read about 90 F. Soon as I finish dinner here, feed the dogs, do some chores, it's hammock time. Haven't been outside in the middle of the night for days.

I don't mind the heat waves except when I've got to get up in the morning, because it means I was up the night before, sweating and either enjoying a few beers or trying to will myself to sleep even though my body knows the best part of the day is happening outside.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 05:23 pm
I've seen eggs fried on the sidewalk around Austin Tx, but that was with a temperature around 105 or so without consideration of humidity or any sort of an index.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 05:28 pm
It's only 104 with 20% humidity here today, bad enough, but it's been worse.
Bahama Mama's ice shack, down the street, looks to be happy about the weather.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 05:31 pm
109 heat index right now. 51% humidity!
ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 05:34 pm
@sozobe,
97F, feels like 115

blechhhh

When we left the office to walk to the streetcar stop, it felt like we were walking into a can of soup. Smelled like grilled hot dogs everywhere.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 05:36 pm
so, uh, the blower motor on the furnace (which controls the central air) packed it in last night, might have a replacement in a few days

and the humidex is 47 C (117 F) right now

good times
farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 07:50 pm
@djjd62,
Ive installed one of those energy misers on my AC so that the power company can reduce the use of my compressor for brief periods during peak use. Ive saved about 10% and we dont notice any difference in comfort.

Ive also shut the vents off downstairs and let all the AC circulate in the upstairs (It comes flooding don anyway). I also keep the fan on "Run" and never choose "ebnergy miser" which shuts off the fan when the compressor is off.
Ill see how all this rolls up

This AM I took three bucket loads pf sheep manure out to a compost area Oy vat an Eppischer schtanken
Eva

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 08:40 pm
104 here again today (Tulsa, OK).

My dog can't take the heat, either. We've been taking him on short walks early in the morning when the temps are still in the 70s. One neighbor hoses down his large dog before walks...you might try that, Set.