FUNNY MEN AND WOMEN

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 12:27 am
There has been a new series on television in recent weeks and the series is aired after midnight.1 Since my wife and I do not have taping facilities; since I don’t follow the programming after midnight, and since most of the TV I watch is after midnight, it is always a delightful surprise when something comes onto the screen of great interest. The episode tonight1 was about: Mae West, Moms Mabley, Lenny Bruce and Richard Pryor comedians who waged a war through comedy, on hypocrisy, conservatism, political correctness and prejudice. -Ron Price with thanks to 1“Make 'Em Laugh: The Funny Business Of America: When I'm Bad, I'm Better / The Groundbreakers,” 12:55 to 1:55 am ABC2, July 17 2011.

Mae West, American actress, playwright,
screenwriter, and sex symbol arrived in
Hollywood In 1932--the end of an Heroic
Age1 and the beginning of another—that
Golden Age of motion pictures-----with a
motion picture contract from Paramount.

In 1959, the year I joined the Baha’i Faith,
Goodness Had Nothing to Do With It2 was
released and it went on to become a best
seller----my own autobiographical life was
just beginning, a life about as different from
Mae’s as can be! As far as Moms Mabley &
Lenny Bruce & Richard Pryor are concerned
I’ll leave commentary on them to another time.

1 The Heroic Age of the Baha’i Faith: 1844 to 1932
2 Mae West’s autobiography

Ron Price 17 July 2011
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,756 • Replies: 5
No top replies

fresco

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 12:44 am
@RonPrice,
Quote:
I’ll leave commentary on them to another time.

Don't bother !

The thread title has nothing to do with your ulterior motives !

I suggest that a self-publicist such as you is merely attempting to reinforce the tenets of "their faith" to themselves, by attempting to engage potential converts.

Note that those who claim "enlightenment" have transcended that "self" that has the need to proselytise.

RonPrice

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 11:23 pm
@fresco,
Sorry for taking nearly 9 months to respond, fresco. When one writes one appeals to some and not others. One finds readers and critics. You are obviously in the latter category. Such is life. I'll add one more item on "Funny Men and Women."-Ron in Australia
------------------------------------
Since so many emails I now receive are of the short and snappy variety, basically a form of entertainment, the funny and the wee-wisdom genre, as I call them, the variety which exercises that control which the poet Robert Lowell speaks of in a light way, an important part of this new variety of my correspondence---I simply do not keep a record of them in my files. I suppose, though, that since they are never recorded in the first place, they will never be missed.
----------------------
I must confess that more than 40 years of living in Australia has taught me a rich appreciation of the funny side of life probably due to the humour that lurks below the surface of so much of Australian culture or inevitably bubbles to the surface in this essentially pleasure-loving people. Here humour is compulsory. By now,I should have an accummulation of jokes-and-funnies to keep everyone laughing in perpetuity.
-----------------------
PS Note: "Self" fresco is a complex entity and the need to proselytise of which you speak is hardly what I do. If you see my writing as a form of proselytism then everything everyone writes at this site is in that category.

Of course, views on the propriety of different types of proselytism differ radically. Some feel that freedom of speech should have no limits and that virtually anyone, anywhere should have the right to talk about anything they see fit. Others see all sorts of proselytism as a nuisance and an intrusion and would like to see them restricted either completely or to a limited arena.

Thus, Prof. Natan Lerner of Tel Aviv University observes that the issue is one of a clash of rights—the perceived right of a person to express his or her views versus the perceived right of a person not to be exposed to views that he or she does not wish to hear. The Baha'i Faith, like Judaism, discourages active proselytism. The doctrine of universalism, which emphasizes universal reconciliation of all non-believers, is a stance would functionally invalidates the concept of proselytism as a humanitarian gesture or duty for adherents.

fresco

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 01:12 am
@RonPrice,
Good attempt at rationalization there Ron, unfortunately torpedoed by your concurrent self publicity thread.
Setanta

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 02:24 am
He's been off posting his message in other threads, too--but he's not as assiduous as most of the religious botherers.
0 Replies

RonPrice

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 06:53 am
@fresco,
I fully accept the self-publicity accusation. I am a writer and poet, editor and publisher. I use the internet to assiduously publish my wares.I'll post a context for that publicity machine below. You may find this context below a little long for your internet sensibilities; in this case just skim and scan this piece of writing to suit your taste---or ignore the post below all-together.-Ron
--------------------------------------------
PIONEERING OVER FIVE EPOCHS
A. MY TYPE OF SOCIAL NETWORKING

1. Everything I do with other people online is part of my particular type of social networking. My social networking is associated with three basic activities: (a) the creation of a personal webpage at: http://www.ronpriceepoch.com/ This webpage serves as a home base, a central hub, for my writing and publishing, for my teaching and consolidation, for my service and social activism, as well as for feedback from others---should they wish; (b) the creation of a detailed personal profile(See Appendi #1 below) which I post at over 8000 internet sites which readers at these sites can access, again, if they wish; and finally (c) posting my writing at these 8000+ sites, and interacting with others about my posts and theirs. In the process I promote my website, and my writing, at these 8000+ internet sites.

2. In the last decade, 2002 to 2012, I have created an extensive audience or readership. I address myself to a circle, a crowd or single individuals. I try to make of my interactions more than the typical ones found at sites like Facebook and twitter. The interactions or connections at such popular social networking sites often reduce friendship to a feeling or an image, a sense of connection to faraway or nearby friends about everyday things based, for the most part, on very short, pithy posts. Such connections involve posts that often contain little about one’s true difficulties in life. A world of privacy and an image is created. There is nothing wrong with that, with this type of site and networking style, but it is not my style, not my approach, not my MO for the most part, my modus operandi, to use a who-dun-it term.

3. I post a great deal about what I think in the form of prose and poetry, generally more extended pieces of writing than the posts found in the Facebook and twitter world. My posts are far beyond the one-liners, the jokes, what I did today, what I ate for dinner, I poke you, I like this and I don’t like that, the ‘here are some photos of this’ and ‘here are some pictures of that’, ‘here is a video of this’ and ‘here is a piece of music,’ etc.

B. MY WEBSITE

1. My website has been on the internet for the last 16 years: 1997-2012. It is part of a tapestry, or perhaps a jig-saw puzzle is a more accurate word, for all my poetry and prose both at my website and elsewhere in cyberspace at those 8000+ sites mentioned above. I have dozens of links at my site, some linked to my writing at other internet sites, and some linked to resources created by others. I have created a large thread of words across the internet since leaving the world of jobs in the late 1990s and taking a sea-change at the age of 55.

2. My cyberspace creation is made by a now self-employed individual: a retired teacher and lecturer, tutor and adult educator, taxi-driver and ice-cream salesman. I am now a poet and publisher, writer and author, editor and scholar, researcher and blogger, scribbler and sampler within the immense commentariat and blogosphere that is the world-wide-web.

3. I am now 67 and I attempt to endow various themes and a wide range of subjects in the arts and sciences with many layers of meaning. In these last 16 years on the world-wide-web I have evoked a complex range of responses in readers who come upon my work, responses which range from lavish enthusiasm to utter indifference and quite intense criticism. The solitary work of literary creation requires a type of talent, some earned ability or unearned gift of grace which is almost never collaborative. Social networking may expose readers to this or that book, this or that video or piece of music, this or that restaurant, food dish or pleasurable activity, this or that idea or cause.

3.1 The solitude I require to create an essay, a poem or a book requires my ability to draw on the globally interrelated, interdependent and interlocked system of the WWW to market my wares. Until my work is ready to be placed in cyberspace the activity is intensely private, although I often draw on the work of other writers in composing my own literary creations. The marketing of my work is also private, and then the feedback comes in or it does not as the case may be. Not everything I write in cyberspace is commented on by others.

B.1 MY WEBSITE AND OTHER INTERNET SITES

I will continue to use my website as the central hub for my literary work, for my internet teaching and learning activity, for my now several million words and many books on the internet in this 2nd decade of the 21st century. My writing is found in the form of: essays and blogs, poems and articles, ebooks and message boards, threads and special topic sites, indeed a myriad types of discussions. I do not engage, though, in any sort of aggressive proselytising or heated exchange at those 8000 websites that are part of this personal and industrious exercise. When what I write produces vehemence and invective, heated criticism at some site, I simply leave if I am unable to cool the emotional climate at the site. Sometimes I am banned before this occurs for a variety of reasons.

C. MY WRITING STYLE AND MY VALUES

1.I have tried over the last several decades of my life, looking back as far as my own junior youth in the 1950s, to develop a writing style which, while fusing together material from many academic disciplines, from my own life as well as from my value, belief and attitude base, aims to be both provocative and intellectually stimulating on the one hand and light and entertaining on the other. In writing, as in daily life though, one wins sometimes and one loses at other times; one’s writing appeals to some and not to others. One’s value, belief and attitude base is simply, or not-so-simply, another word for one’s religion. Faith, to put this another way, is a set of assumptions around which one places one’s emotions and then proceeds to act and argue one’s case before the court of life.

2.I possess an obvious enthusiasm for my evolving values, beliefs and attitudes as well as the several causes I promote or I would not have been associated with them in their overt form---for nearly 60 years; nor would I be promoting my ideas in a multitude of forms, subtle and not-so-subtle, on the internet as I do and have done since retiring from FT work in 1999, PT in 2003 and most casual-volunteer work in 2005.

D. MY READERSHIP

1.I now have several million readers on the internet. It is difficult to guesstimate readership precisely in cyberspace when there are now nearly 300 million sites and over 2 billion users, and when one writes at as many sites as I do. Many of the sites at which I post my writing and interact with others keep me informed about how many people click-on to what I have written.

2. I am engaged in varying degrees of frequency and intensity, in parts of this tapestry, this jig-saw puzzle, this literary product, this creation, this immense pile of words with hundreds of people with whom I correspond on occasion as a result. I keep most of this correspondence as infrequent as possible or I would drown in this new form of letter writing: the email and the internet post.

E. THE WWW AND PUBLISHING

1.This amazing technical facility, the world wide web, has made this literary success, this form of publishing, possible. This teaching and learning exercise, this form of service and often social activism, among the many other functions of my writing in the now wide and extensive dialogue I now have with diverse publics is an enriching one. If my writing had been left in the hands of the traditional hard and soft-cover publishers, where it had been without success for the most part from 1981 to 2001, these publishing results with my now extensive readership would never have been achieved.

2.It is my hope that what I write as a result of this self-employment, this literary vocation and avocation, this pleasurable occupation of my leisure time, resonates with both the novitiate and the veteran on the one hand and the great diversity of people who are on a multitude of paths in their journey through life.

F. NOTE

When accessing what I write in cyberspace you can Google: Ron Price, but be aware that there are more than 2000 other Ron Prices now on the web. Some of them are men of fame and others of notoriety. You can also google: Pioneering Over Five Epochs or Ron Price forums or Ron Price followed by…..many other words and phrases literally several 1000 possibilities to access what I have written. My website, to reiterate, is found at: http://www.ronpriceepoch.com/ My email address is: [email protected] is you want to write to me.

APPENDIX 1:
EMPLOYMENT-SOCIAL-ROLE POSITIONS: 1943-2012

2010-2012-Retired and on a pension in George Town, Tasmania
1999-2009-Writer & Author, Poet & Publisher, Editor & Researcher. Retired Teacher & Lecturer, Tutor & Adult Educator, Taxi-Driver & Ice-Cream Salesman, George Town Tasmania Australia
2002-2005-Program Presenter City Park Radio Launceston
1999-2004-Tutor &/or President George Town School for Seniors Inc
1988-1999 -Lecturer in General Studies & Human Services West Australian Department of Training
1986-1987 -Acting Lecturer in Management Studies & Co-ordinator of Further Education Unit at Hedland College in South Hedland WA
1982-1985 -Adult Educator Open College of Tafe Katherine NT
1981 -Maintenance Scheduler Renison Bell Zeehan Tasmania
1980-Unemployed due to illness and recovery
1979-Editor External Studies Unit Tasmanian CAE; Youth Worker Resource Centre Association; Lecturer in Organizational Behaviour Tasmanian CAE; Radio Journalist ABC---all in Launceston Tasmania
1976-1978 -Lecturer in Social Sciences & Humanities Ballarat CAE Ballarat, Victoria
1975 - Lecturer in Behavioural Studies Whitehorse Technical College, Box Hill Victoria
1974 -Senior Tutor in Education Studies Tasmanian CAE Launceston, Tasmania
1972-1973 -High School Teacher South Australian Education Department
1971-Primary School Teacher Whyalla South Australia
1969-1971 Primary School Teacher Prince Edward County Board of Education Picton Ontario Canada
1969-Systems Analyst Bad Boy Co Ltd Toronto Ontario
1967-68 -Community Teacher Department of Indian Affairs & Northern Development Frobisher Bay NWT Canada
1959-67 -Summer jobs-1 to 4 months each- from grade 10 to end of university
1949-1967 - Attended 2 primary schools, 2 high schools and 2 universities in Canada: McMaster Uni-1963-1966, Windsor Teachers’ College-1966/7
1944-1963 -Childhood(1944-57) and adolescence(1957-63) in and around Hamilton Ontario
1943 to 1944-Conception in October 1943 to birth in July 1944 in Hamilton Ontario

2. SOME SOCIO-BIO-DATA TO 2012

I have been married twice for a total of 45 years. My second wife is a Tasmanian, aged 65. We’ve had one child: age 34. I have two step-children: ages: 46 and 41, three step-grandchildren, ages 18, 15 and 1, as well as one grandchild aged 3 months. All of the above applies in December 2011. I am 67, am a Canadian who moved to Australia in 1971 and have written several books--all available on the internet. I retired from full-time teaching in 1999, part-time teaching in 2003 and volunteer teaching/work in 2005 after 32 years in classrooms as a teacher and another 18 as a student. In addition, I have been a member of the Baha’i Faith for 53 years. Bio-data: 6ft, 230 lbs, eyes-brown/hair-grey, Caucasian.

My website is found at: http://www.ronpriceepoch.com/ You can also go to any search engine and type: Ron Price followed by any one of a number of words in addition to: poetry, forums, religion, literature, history, bipolar disorder, psychology, sociology, Baha’i, inter alia, to access my writing________________________
End of document

0 Replies