Giant mammal’s red blood cell remains found in meteorite NWA 5480

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 10:53 pm
The following micrograph shows mammalian red blood cell remains twice the size of human red blood cells. They are found in meteorite NWA 5480, which is believed by some geologists to have come from asteroid Vesta. Fig. 1: Edit [Moderator]: Link removed

Source and credit for the above image:
http://www.meteorite.com/meteorite-gallery/meteorites-alpha_frame.htm
(sourcing path: Select “NWA 5480 article” from above URL, then scroll down the right part to the middle, and you will find this photo with file name of NWA-5480-0.40-mm-3.)

bewildered

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 03:28 am
Added on July 17, 2011:
Human RBC at 1660X for comparison

The following figure shows human red blood cells at 1660X:
Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
Source of above figure: http://www.visualsunlimited.com/image/I0000TtQPgXVbIOk

Compare those human red blood cells with these gigantic red blood cells of ET mammals (also at 1,660X):

All my articles are at Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 04:05 am
@bewildered,
bewildered wrote:

This is from the site you referenced above:
Tom Phillips wrote:
Welcome to the Tom Phillips Meteorite Micrograph Gallery!

This gallery contains microscopic images of meteorites.

While it is tempting to read into what you might think you see, I have never found any evidence of past life or any thing supernatural. I have read claims by people using my images to support their ideas, theories and dogmas. The claims of muscle fibers and other animal/people parts are the easiest to disprove as the size scale is off. Many meteorites have various forms of barred chondrules which may be large or quite small, almost fiber looking. These are not biological in nature. I can and have found strikingly similar looking structures in fresh volcanic rock.

The claims involving faith and much harder to address. All I can say is I have noted no messages or hidden symbolism in any of my images.

My images combine some science and some art. I am concentrating on the visually pleasing. What that means is I am often working with magnifications much higher than what is typically useful in optical meteorite classification examinations and as such, my images look "Different" than what many are accustomed to. This puts me in the position of being sensitive to outrageous claims involving my images. I am careful to say only what is accurate and I generally avoid analysis. I give the meteorite name, type of material, magnification or field of view and the microscope technique.

If you see any thing more than meteorite structures in any of these images, have fun! But remember, this is no more scientific or spiritual than seeing dogs in clouds.

Tom Phillips

The world is your ink-blot.
Setanta

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 10:28 am
@rosborne979,
Look at his next post--it's like it blew right over his head. Or rather, he's figuratively got his fingers in his ears while singing "La-la-la-la, i can't hear you."
wayne

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 10:33 am
@Setanta,
Bewildered said
Quote:
No amount of evidence can convince fools or the die-hard.

Looks like he has this much right
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 11:46 am
@Setanta,
I thought that little disclaimer from the author of the photo's was very politely worded given the mockery people like Bewildered are making of his lovely photo's.

It also makes me wonder what other references he was implying when he talked about "spiritual" visions of what is seen in the photo's. I wonder if it's an alter-ego of Bewildered who is out there making other outrageous claims, or if there is another lunatic floatin' around out there with a totally different delusion focused on meteorites.
Setanta

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 11:57 am
@rosborne979,
FM says that this joker here, Bewildered, is spamming the blog-o-sphere with his "reports." It's entirely possible that Mr. Phillips has seen this, and that this is what he is referring to.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 12:13 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
FM says that this joker here, Bewildered, is spamming the blog-o-sphere with his "reports." It's entirely possible that Mr. Phillips has seen this, and that this is what he is referring to.
I'm certain that Mr. Phillips is referring to Bewildered when he mentions muscle fibers and other body parts. But I'm not sure about the "spiritual" reference.
wayne

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 12:17 pm
@rosborne979,
I recall, in the past Bewildered linking some of this to angels and the like.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 01:38 pm
@wayne,
wayne wrote:

I recall, in the past Bewildered linking some of this to angels and the like.

Possibly. But I don't recall Bewildered saying that he sees anything in micrographs other than biological material.
Tom Phillips wrote:

The claims involving faith are much harder to address. All I can say is I have noted no messages or hidden symbolism in any of my images.

If you see any thing more than meteorite structures in any of these images, have fun! But remember, this is no more scientific or spiritual than seeing dogs in clouds.

Tom Phillips

Mr. Phillips seems to imply by his wording above that other people have seen actual symbols or messages in his images. (which doesn't surprise me given that they are basically like ink-blots).
bewildered

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 08:03 pm
@rosborne979,
Mr. Tom Phillips does not know histology.
Setanta

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 08:10 pm
@bewildered,
bewildered wrote:

Leaving aside that you have no basis for this remark, neither do you.
0 Replies

bewildered

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 05:01 am
Added on July 18, 2011:
Can they be things other than RBC’s?

I have considered the following possibilities. You can check them out against this micrograph: Edit [Moderator]: Link removed

1. They are chondrules within meteorites: chondrules are not concave.
2. They are air bubbles resulting from thin section preparation: No thin section shows so many minute air bubbles in such small areas. Air bubbles do not deform into so many shapes as RBC’s do.
3. They are geological vesicles: Geological vesicles do not show the rims of donuts. Red blood cells do.
4. They are lipid droplets (fat globules) or fat cells: Lipid droplets and fat cells are not concave.
5. They are cross sections of blood vessels: If so, they must be vertical blood vessels that were cut horizontally for their cross sections. All vertical blood vessels and no horizontal blood vessels? Impossible.
6. Why no white blood cells? Human blood cells consist of 99% red blood cells and 1% white blood cells. So, white blood cells are rare. Another reason is that I am no expert in white blood cells. However, I just found something that “might” be a white blood cell with a devilish face here:

That’s all for now.

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 05:01 am
@bewildered,
bewildered wrote:

But he sure knows a lot about meteorites and about his own photo's.

And ya don't have to be a lion tamer to know when someone is showing you a kitty cat and telling you it's a lion.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 05:13 am
@bewildered,
bewildered wrote:
Giant mammal’s red blood cell remains found in meteorite

By the way, what type of Giant Mammal was this anyway? Are we talking about a giant wombat or a giant rabbit or what?
bewildered

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 02:30 am
Edited on July 19, 2011: Can they be other things?

I have considered the following possibilities. You can check them using this micrograph:

1. They are chondrules within meteorites: Chondrules are not concave.

2. They are air bubbles resulting from thin section preparation: No thin section shows so many air bubbles so small in such small areas. Air bubbles do not deform into so many shapes as Red blood cells do.

3. They are geological vesicles: Geological vesicles do not show the rims of donuts. Red blood cells do.

4. They are lipid droplets (fat globules) or fat cells: Lipid droplets and fat cells are not concave.

5. They are cross sections of blood vessels: The micrographs show no tissues around all these “blood vessel remains”.

6. Why do the red blood cell remains show different sizes? Blood from different kinds of animals could have been mixed together by water.

7. Why no white blood cells? White blood cells are rare. There is one that could be a white blood cell (monocyte)

bewildered

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 02:31 am
@rosborne979,
No living mammals on Earth have such large red blood cells. Only dinosaurs had such large red blood cells.
bewildered

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 03:42 am
@bewildered,
0. They can be minerals, microbes, fungi, or plant cells: All these
cannot be concave in thin sections.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 05:49 am
@bewildered,
bewildered wrote:

No living mammals on Earth have such large red blood cells. Only dinosaurs had such large red blood cells.
Are you saying there were dinosaurs on mars?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 06:04 am
@bewildered,
Tabular inclusions are usually always concave because the viscosity of the fluid is just enough to allow a vesicle to collapse on itself giving a concave appearance.

Thin section microscopy is such a basic tool in geology that we begin our students training with it in the second semester of the freshman year. Its such a simple yet powerful tool that allows us to carefully document the crystal chemistry and structure of any sample. Every mineral with a chemical structure (think" ALL OF THEM) will leave a particular refraction pattern as light is transmitted through a slice of itself cut at a very specific thickness. (ALL color tables (munsell system) are keyed to a specific thickness.
To ascribe features to something like Mammalian red blood cells when the real answer is laying there like an open book is the height of defiant ignorance.

Kid, (Im assumimg that youre a kid because to continue in such an obsession as an adult, leads me to believe that youve got some OCD issue).

If you look at your source slide (I can undesrtand why Mr Phillips is pissed off--hes spent a good amount of time cutting and mounting all his meterorite samples to be seen through transmiotted polarized light and (I assume) reflected metallurgical analysis. SO what does bewildered come up with? He believes that these are all somehow tissues and blood cells from a heretofore unknown life form that is , of course mammalian because since there appears to be no "nucleus", it must be a a Mammals RBC. His mind works so simply . yet he misses out on the possibilities this tool provides.

Often ,a s a teacher, I have the kids first prepare their initial samples by cutting them on a rock slabber and then mount the small square cut sample on a slide.
The first deviation from the norm occurs when the ample glue (balsam or acrylic) starts drying and the student is still screwing with it so that air bubbles form in the glue. These wind up appearing like "Mammalian red blood cells" also because the air in the bubbles dissipates and the vesicle wall (the bubbles boundary( begins to collapse and thus forms a series oif indented concave or tabular air pockets. This also occus as chondrules in tektites and meteorites and even volcanic glasses and scorias.

The fact that there are many of these "bubbles" in the depth f field in the slide, this tells us that the thickness may be greater than the required 30 microns and the sample is showing bubbles both in focus and out of focus. These are bubbles or liquid inclusions not crystallized haem compounds which would show up entirely differently.

Kid needs some training in the microscopy and less in the mythology. It sounds, however, that his mind ios made up without any further discussions so who am I to piss on his pudding?
0 Replies