@Rockhead,
Good night, Rocky.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 01:49 pm
@Rockhead,
awwww

credit the chicken and noodles.

You'd been sick most of the winter bouncing between eating sparingly, feeling slightly better, feeling well enough to fix a real meal and then BAM! It would start all over again. All I did was notice that you fixed something with pasta whenever you felt well enough to cook a real meal. That last time it was chicken and noodles. You were soooooooo looking forward to eating it - to finally feeling well enough to eat something that tasted and smelled like a home cooked meal. The next day you said it had hit you around 4:00am - the beginning of the next cycle. It had been a hard, hard night of misery.

I remember saying, "geez, what is it with you and pasta?" And it all kind of clicked from there. Within minutes we were researching the symptoms of celiac disease and its connection to crohns. I'm glad you've been able to sort through the various store shelves and find things you can eat. Gluten intolerance is getting more and more prevalent and food manufacturers jump on whatever bandwagon earns them a bigger buck so your choices will continue to grow.

The Chex cereals are a good choice for a fortified quick meal, especially in the summer heat. You can try rice milk or almond milk if you start having issues with dairy. I like rice crackers with almond butter as a snack, but I know you're not a big rice cracker fan.

The next time you want to make a big pot of soup (HA! winter is coming some day) use quinoa or barley in place of the noodles. joefromchicago posted a great tasting ham with barley soup recipe on the soup thread. My jambalaya recipe is also gluten free and will keep you with dinner ready to reheat for days.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 07:20 pm
@JPB,
think Ima try some quinoa polenta next time I go to the special store.

stocked up on the pine nut hummus that tranna suggested.

it's gluten free.

and it's the height of cherry season right now...
Rockhead

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 07:46 pm
3 words...

Pamela's peanut-butter cookies.

yummmmmmmy.

been 6 months since my last one.

and these won't hurt me when I'm sleeping...
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2011 08:59 am
I'll be checking in regularly, Rock. I'm going gluten-free--not because I **** my pants otherwise, but increasingly I have banning from my body all things it doesn't need. Except booze, of course. Also, my shrink is into natural medicine and believes this dietary change may generally improve my concentration. See, I'm ADD as ****.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2011 09:14 am
My biggest challenge at the moment is identifying which foods contain low-levels of gluten but are often marketed as gluten-free. You see, I buy my gluten-free food from Whole Foods, who sells everything from gluten-free bibles to gluten-free tampons. Naturally, whenever I shop there my objective is to buy as little as possible, given that their items cost as much as possible--you see my dilemma.

I have decided soy sauce, for example, is acceptable, as it contains only traces of gluten and will not destroy me. Thus I opt for the cheap **** from the corner store.

Hummus surprised me. I saw gluten-free hummus and was like, "Not you, too!" And deli meat. Granted, I have decided to switch to the all-natural meat anyway, given that they inject AIDS into the stuff at Jewel.

Do I really need to worry only about cereal, bread, and snack food?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2011 09:16 am
I forgot: beer.

I tried one gluten-free beer and it tasted like Chloraseptic throat lozenges. I was hoping Kirin or other beers would be okay but apparently that is not the case.

Are there any tasty gluten-free beers?
ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2011 09:40 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
stocked up on the pine nut hummus

awesome stuff eh
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2011 10:39 am
@Gargamel,
How close are you to Trader Joes?

They have an extensive line of GF products that tend to be cheaper than WF.

http://www.traderjoes.com/lists/no-gluten.asp

I sent a care pack to RH a while back. He especially liked the GF granola and the snickerdoodles. I buy the brown rice pasta and have pretty much stopped using regular pasta. I also buy their quinoa.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2011 10:50 am
@Gargamel,
"Are there any tasty gluten-free beers? "

no.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 05:48 pm
found this coolio, handy dandy list of things I can't eat.

http://www.celiacdisease.net/gluten-free-diet

(I didn't realize my oatmeal was hurting me...)
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 10:53 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

My wife and I had done a search on how to have a flatter belly.

The economy's worse than I thought! Now people have to share a belly, what next?

Gargamel

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 10:55 am
@Sturgis,
No, no, no.

Edgar is married to his siamese twin. And I can't say I blame him. Marrying anyone else would be kind of awkward. You know, third wheel and all.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 11:08 am
@Gargamel,
Oh, I see...well, as long as he found someone he could really share everything with.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 11:11 am
When the weather's ready, I was just reading about this gluten-free flour for baking:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/cup4cup-gluten-free-flour/

Where I read about it:

Excerpt:

Quote:
It is a blend of flours from white and brown rice, tapioca and potatoes, with potato starch, cornstarch and milk powder.

I tried it in a poundcake, a chocolate cake and a pie crust. It works very well, though the cake textures were more delicate than usual and I found that the pie crust was best rolled somewhat thicker for ease of handling, since the lack of gluten made it less malleable than pastry with regular flour.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/24/dining/gluten-free-flour-from-the-french-laundry.html
Rockhead

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 11:40 am
@sozobe,
the weather is closer to baking season by a big notch today...

I found waffles yesterday.

the yucky frozen kind like everyone's kids eat.

gluten free.

and I still have syrup.

I've not made breakfast in forever...

more and more products are finding their way onto the prairie, wally's section is getting bigger as well.
JPB

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 12:37 pm
@Rockhead,
ohhhh.... didn't you suspect the syrup? Of course, you used it on waffles made with wheat flour so who knows?

You be careful out there on the prairie!
Rockhead

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 12:43 pm
@JPB,
pancakes, but yeah.

and this is newer syrup. aunt something or another. black lady...

eat it with my grits sometimes.

got some different strange cereal at whole food as well. tired of chex.