Share your favourite internet food & recipe sites.

Irishk

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 09:19 pm
@mckenzie,
I liked MsOlga's recipe because it called for both Tabasco and a full teaspoon of cayenne lol. I think Emeril uses red pepper flakes in a lot of his dishes. I like them on pizza, too.
mckenzie

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 11:00 pm
@Irishk,
I checked and don't see Tabasco in Olga's recipe, Irishk. For me, I think both would be TOO much, but different strokes, for sure.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 02:18 am
@mckenzie,
I'm a big fan of roasted pepper flakes, mckenzie.
I throw (at least a few) in many, many dishes I cook.
Habit.
Quote:
(McIlhenny Tabasco is actually a hot sauce produced in Cajun Country, Louisiana.)

I know I have some Tabasco here, somewhere on my crowded shelves.
But I'd doubt very much I'd have McIlhenny's. Smile
Quote:
I agree with you about chorizo. How about kielbasa/garlic sausage? I've used it as a substitute on occasion.

You know, I wish I'd never had that Chorizo frying experience.
The amount of fat was truly shocking.
Will check out the kielbasa/garlic sausages & see.
Thanks again for your help!

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 02:21 am
@Irishk,
I can see I'm going to have to do the Tabasco alone & the Tabasco and Cayenne together test at some stage soon ....
I will report back!
ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 07:30 am
@mckenzie,
Can you get Andouille (a french smoked sausage) there? It's listed on a cajun sausage site (along with many others) and not specifically re jambalaya -

http://www.cajungrocer.com/fresh-foods-sausage-fresh-c-1_15_33.html

In general I tend to like fresh sausages of whatever type from the local butcher shop, as their juices go into the mix when I make soup or whatever else, but maybe smoked sausages are usual with jambalaya - I don't know.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 07:32 am
@msolga,
Look for andouille instead of chorizo.
msolga

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 07:42 am
@JPB,
I think the jambalaya video I posted included andouille, JPB .... and suggested chorizo if it wasn't available.
As I haven't come across andouille & suspect it isn't available here, I was looking for a substitute for chorizo. Wink
Irishk

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 11:24 am
@msolga,
A whole teaspoon of cayenne is a lot, depending on how many servings the recipe provides. I'll probably start with about half that amount and add to taste...plus some Tabasco.

As for the proteins -- any combination would probably do. I liked the ham idea...might try chicken, ham and shrimp. It's gonna be tasty no matter what.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 11:36 am
I have two authentic jambalaya recipes that I've combined into one. The first is a chicken and andouille sausage jambalaya that calls for long cooking of the green peppers, onions, and celery -- until they're caramelized and almost black -- before adding the sausage (saute 5 mins) and then the chicken (saute 3 mins), 4 bay leaves, followed by tomatoes (include juice from can), rice, water, cayenne, and bay leaves.

The other is a ham and shrimp jambalaya which calls for a quick saute of the vegetables -- just until they're limp -- followed by ham (stir 2 mins), shrimp (stir 2 mins), rice (stir 2 mins to absorb liquids) and water (no tomatoes).

I follow the first recipe (it takes up to 30 mins for the veggies to caramelize) up to the point where I add the tomatoes and then add the ham, shrimp, rice and water.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 11:38 am
@msolga,
You can use a regular smoked sausage and add heat with cayenne.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 12:11 pm
Saveur magazine came out with a list of their favorite food blogs/2011 -

http://www.saveur.com/article/Kitchen/2011-SAVEUR-Best-Food-Blog-Awards-Winners?cmpid=enews052211
Irishk

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 12:57 pm
@ossobuco,
Just gave it a quick glance, but two of my favorites won...

The Bitten Word

The Girl Who Ate Everything

Thanks!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 03:01 pm
Haven't looked through all the pages to see if this link is already here.

http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/

These are the same authors of the popular Artisan Bread in Five Minutes A Day cookbook.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2011 11:41 am
Here's a favorite video of mine - about the food culture of Ravenna, Italy. It's in italian, but there are subtitles, music, and appealing views of the city's food. Me, I like hearing the female chef's voice as she describes the scene.

This was on the videos in the travel section of the Guardian. I haven't looked at other videos there, but would probably like them.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/video/2010/nov/25/italy-ravenna-food-tour?INTCMP=SRCH
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 11:23 pm
From the Sydney Morning Herald & the AGE ...
A slide-show of Jill Dupleix's 10 favourite winter warmer dinners (with recipes)

Quote:
29 Jun: Jill Dupleix had plenty of time to hone her cold-weather cooking skills as food editor of The Times in London, where she worked for several years. Now she has gone through the Good Living and Epicure archives to pull out her hottest winter recipes to keep us warm and well-fed.

Don't look, you folk in the northern hemisphere .... it'll only make you even more hot & bothered than you already are! Wink

No1: Beef and red wine pot pie...

http://images.smh.com.au/2012/05/29/3334026/sm-article-pot-pie-20120529141014804825-496x620.jpg

Winter warmers:
http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/lifestyle/cuisine/winter-warming-recipes-20120529-1zghx.html

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 11:32 pm
A long time since there have been any posts to this thread.

Any newly discovered sources of terrific recipes will be much appreciated!
0 Replies