Gluten free products near you...

Irishk

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2011 09:42 am
@Rockhead,
If you decide to stretch it by adding the crushed cereal, check out the store brands. Sometimes they offer 'organic' products that will actually say they're gluten-free (no flavoring with barley malt).
Rockhead

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 10:14 pm
@Irishk,
found a line of gluten free canned soup that is kinda tasty.

by healthy valley company. (NY)

they even have a prebiotic in them.

so far so good.

the chicken noodle is as good a soup as I've ever had from a can...
Irishk

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 04:55 pm
@Rockhead,
How were the pork chops? I might need to make a GF pumpkin pie for turkey day. I'm hoping I can find a ready-made pie crust...the filling should be relatively easy.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 05:44 pm
@Irishk,
I've not tried breading anything yet. I'm saving my bread heels and odd slices for dressing. gonna try and make my old recipe using dried gluten free bread crumbs and special corn bread.

I haven't seen ready made GF pie shells, but somebody in a real city prolly has them...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 08:26 pm
Thought you gluten-free folks might be interested in this tidbit I ran across in my couponing. It expires tomorrow.

http://livingsocial.com/deals/133855?temp_skip_roadblock=1

Quote:
Today's deal from GlutenFreely.com will help you get your groove on in a more mindful way: Spend $25 and get $50 worth of gluten-free products. The website is a one-stop shop for everything you need for your favorite foods -- sans the gluten. There's pancake mix, baking ingredients, entrées like breakfast burritos, garlic Parmesan-breaded chicken breasts, even a tasty pad Thai noodles dish. Whip up an after-dinner treat with Betty Crocker's brownie and devil's food cake mixes. With so many choices and 50% in savings, you'll have plenty of power -- and you don't even have to have wheat in your flour.

The Fine Print

Limit one per person, up to one additional as gifts • Entire value must be used in a single transaction • Free shipping on all orders over $50 • Order total based on product • Tax is not included • Additional frozen shipping charges apply • Other conditions apply • PAID VALUE EXPIRES ON November 9, 2016 • PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES ON May 11, 2012

Here's the link to the glutenfreely website. They have recipes also.

http://www.glutenfreely.com/
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 04:32 pm
came across these recipes while following a different trail

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/gluten-free/

this one caught my eye

leftovers!

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/traditional_roast_beef_hash/
Rockhead

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 04:59 pm
@ehBeth,
thanks. I may try some of those after things level out some. (no more meat for me just yet)

the holiday was kinda ugly.

did find a canned chicken noodle soup that I like. gluten free cafe by health valley.

wally's started handling it, and whole foods has it too. for a buck and a half more a can...
ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 05:02 pm
@Rockhead,
squash squash squash!
Rockhead

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 05:22 pm
@ehBeth,
lotsa chopping for the effort there, squash...

also got some tapioca based bread (they were out of my normal multi grainless stuff. that happens a lot)

it's not terrible like the first one I tried. not sure yet if I truly like it as well. it's high. $6.50 a loaf. but almost bread-like. with seeds...
KathyB

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 06:15 am
@Rockhead,
hey, don't say no pizza, there are actually some pretty good recipes for G-F pizza crusts for example this one I use myself:
3/4 cup Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Mix
3/4 cup tapioca flour
2 tablespoons dry buttermilk powder OR dry powdered milk OR Vance's Dari-Free Powder
1 teaspoon Agar-Agar powder (Vegan ) OR unflavored gelatin powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 package active dry yeast granules
1 teaspoons sugar OR 1/2 teaspoon honey OR agave nectar
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1/2 cup lukewarm water (not hot water -it will kill the yeast)
Extra tapioca flour for rolling the pizza dough
Gluten Free cornmeal to sprinkle on baking sheet
Preparation:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and sprinkle lightly with gluten free cornmeal. Place all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk until thoroughly mixed together.Add sugar or honey or agave nectar, vinegar, olive oil and gradually add water. Mix on high speed for 3 to 4 minutes. Scrape the thick dough on to a large clean surface liberally sprinkled with tapioca flour. Work enough tapioca flour into the dough so that it can be shaped into a large ball. With a large knife cut the dough in half to make two medium pizzas.The key to shaping this dough is to continue to sprinkle the work surface and the dough with tapioca flour. Shape each piece into a circle making sure to sprinkle enough tapioca flour on the dough and the work surface to prevent it from sticking. With a rolling pin shape the dough into circles. Roll thin for New York style pizzas or thick for Chicago deep dish style.
Carefully place one prepared pizza crust on baking sheet or pizza stone (see tips) sprinkled with corn meal and bake for about 5 minutes or until the dough is firm. This is called parbaking. Repeat with second pizza. Top pizzas with your favorite ingredients and bake an additional 7-10 minutes or until done. Or cool parbaked crusts, wrap and freeze for convenience.

Do some research and you will find G-F brownies too!!!
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 08:10 am
Here's a PDF of Kroger's gluten free products ...
http://www.kroger.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/pharmacy/gluten_free_product_list_09-2011.pdf

None of the stores will have all the products listed, but they can (and are supposed to) order them on request. I'd take the UPC code along too, as most clerks don't know how to locate product they don't carry.

And Kroger has the gluten free cafe chicken noodle soup.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2011 06:45 pm
@thack45,
Kroger is evil. but thanks for posting just the same...

stopped and bought myself a treat yesterday after an afternoon in the clinic.

maple glazed donuts. (6 for $5. ouch)

but dangit they are awesomely delicious and texturally wonderful...

by kinnikinnick
roger

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2011 08:44 pm
@Rockhead,
Don't know about evil, but they've sure gotten expensive in the past few months.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2011 08:49 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

lotsa chopping for the effort there, squash...

Just what are you doing to the poor things? Get an acorn squash and chop it in half at the equator. Scoop out the stuff and bake till tender. Fill the cavities with butter.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2011 08:53 pm
@roger,
funny that.

butternut is my squarsh of choice tonight. baked that way with some brown sugar and cinnamon tossed in.

my little oven will only do one half at a time, but damn they are tasty. and I'm almost hungry enough to eat the second one by the time it gets done baking. almost...

I cube and fry yellow squash with onions in a spot of bacon grease.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 03:37 pm
GF bread update.

Udi's whole grain is the snizzle...

both soft and as toast, it's just like bread, only smaller.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 04:25 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
I cube and fry yellow squash with onions in a spot of bacon grease.

I've read this several times since it was posted. I ALWAYS read it as a spot of bear grease.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 04:28 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I've read this several times since it was posted. I ALWAYS read it as a spot of bear grease.

Would certainly give it a different taste.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 04:35 pm
@Sturgis,
we don't use bear grease outta professional courtesy. kinda like sharks and lawyers...

fake crab meat update:

trans ocean chunks have no wheat starch. but the flakes and legs do.

weird...
ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 04:39 pm
@Rockhead,
weird indeed - good to know they're an option - but chunks sure aren't as portable as the sticks (legs)