JPB

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 01:14 pm
@Rockhead,
Ah. That's good.

Enjoy!
jespah

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 05:03 am
@JPB,
We saw a gluten-free vendor (well, the products were gluten-free; I can't vouch for the dude) at Fenway yesterday and I said to RP, "We coulda bought Rocky a ticket and brought him along."

Did ya wanna see the Red Sox get spanked by the Rangers in sticky, steamy weather?
Rockhead

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 02:16 pm
@jespah,
this won't increase my chances for an invite, I'm sure, but...

I would jump at any opportunity to see your boys take a licking.

and hot sultry weather is the baseline here on the prairie...

gonna try and bake some gluten-less chocolate chip cookies later, I think. 75 for the high today...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 03:35 pm
@jespah,
now you've got me curious, wondering how creative they get at Fenway. (one of the parks I never been fortunate enough to visit for a game...)

If they were just gluten free buns with dogs, Ida still been out. (gluten is my secondary trouble)

but if they had a grilled chicken sammich, or something valley girly, I mighta been shelling out 20 bucks like the rest of you crazy people. (no $8 beer for me, thanks)

last MLB game I went to was a Royals home game. (so shoot me, I will be loyal to them to the end) and I brought my attorney.

seems a lifetime ago...
jespah

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 05:16 pm
@Rockhead,
Don't bring the attorney.

I dunno what they were peddlin'. I was carrying a big purse; we coulda smuggled in your grilled chicken. Root for another team if you wish, but quietly, please. I'd like to be able to make it down Lansdowne Street in one piece. Wink
Rockhead

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 06:15 pm
@jespah,
my royals are currently not in last place in the central...

learned the hard way about wearing a Dolphin jersey to a chef game. long ago in a land far far away...

I think mebbe Ima splurge for a fresh honeycomb. it looked awesome.
jespah

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 04:06 am
@Rockhead,
A honeycomb in my purse would be messy. Please invest in wetnaps.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 05:05 am
My mom’s best friend Janice is a celiac. I remember the last time having dinner at her house before I moved to Florida she made a gluten free lasagna, the noodles were rice noodles and it was actually quite tasty.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 05:20 pm
@jcboy,
I don't get that involved yet.

some day, prolly...

the cold mornings are coming back, so I got a new hot cereal to try. (need to get some more quinoa, too)

it's called "mighty tasty hot cereal"...

I'm not making this up.

we'll see if I agree...
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 09:21 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

My mom’s best friend Janice is a celiac. I remember the last time having dinner at her house before I moved to Florida she made a gluten free lasagna, the noodles were rice noodles and it was actually quite tasty.

Just made that about a week ago. Super easy. I recommend it to anyone who likes lasagna but no so much the enriched pasta.

1 can peeled tomatoes or 4 roma tomatoes, chopped
1 lb ground turkey (or lean ground beef)
2-8 oz cans tomato sauce, gluten-free, of course
3 cups quinoa, cooked
1/4 lb mozzarella cheese, crumbled
1/4 lb parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp salt
2 tsp oregano
1 cup onion, minced
1/2 lb ricotta cheese
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 boxes frozen chopped spinach (I just threw this in)

Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until browned. Add turkey (hamburger), cook until browned. Add tomato sauce, tomatoes, salt and oregano. Simmer. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put layer of this sauce in bottom of 13x9x2-1/2" baking dish, following with layer of quinoa and layer of cheese. Repeat two more layers ending with sauce an extra Parmesan cheese on top. Bake about 35 minutes. Serves 6-8.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 10:30 pm
@Gargamel,
that looks good, although I have no problems liking the pasta part. (haven't tried any fake lasagna noodles yet, though)

what do you do with the spinach, or is that a side dish?
Gargamel

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 10:54 am
@Rockhead,
I just add spinach as one of the layers.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 05:28 pm
@Gargamel,
gotcha...

trying a new product today.

pecan raisin non-bread.

infused with fruit juice...

first bitch. you can't leave it frozen. to get the pieces apart, you gotta thaw it...

but it is kinda tasty. and I like the texture.

I'll decide what I think, and then rate it...
jespah

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 05:30 pm
@Rockhead,
Would it be too much trouble to thaw and then set aside pairs (figuring you'd most of the time eat 2 slices at a time) in baggies, then refreeze? At least then you would not be thawing and refreezing the last piece a dozen times.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 05:44 pm
@jespah,
yep.

I got too damn many little frozen baggies of stuff now as it is.

just gotta eat a loaf before it goes bad in the fridge...

that gives me at least a week.

with my regular bread, I just grab 2 slices from the loaf in the freezer about 20 minutes before I want bread, and thaw them in a baggie on the counter...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 08:21 pm
I need to find something tasty and gluten free to "bread" my pork cutlets with...

now taking suggestions.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 08:35 pm
@Rockhead,
I come from the land of non breaded stuff. Well, not right now, as New Mexico cafes bread their stuff with concrete... but, originally, I didn't get breading.
I can imagine crumpled rice crackers in place of other recipes. But why not just do pork cutlets in butter? or olive oil?
Rockhead

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 09:01 pm
@ossobuco,
I'll just wait for someone that gets breading, but thanks...
Irishk

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 10:14 pm
@Rockhead,
This looks tasty.

Kellogg's corn flakes and rice krispy cereals are gluten free, I think, except they both have a little barley malt. That may make them unsuitable for some that are intolerant.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 10:39 pm
@Irishk,
mebbe...

Ima try saving my heels from my fake bread, and dry it out for crumbles.

I don't like the heels as bread.