the table or the tree?

Nancy88

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 12:19 am
Furnishings include a custom-made dining table, cut from a single Claro Walnut tree from Oregon that's 18 feet long.

Which one is 18 feet long? I read across a photo of a very long table. And the word below the picture says "Furnishings include a custom-made dining table, cut from a single Claro Walnut tree from Oregon that's 18 feet long." I get puzzled. Which one is 18 feet long, the table or the tree itself?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 715 • Replies: 8
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Nancy88
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 03:14 am
@Nancy88,

the tree was 18 feet long...
farmerman

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 06:01 am
@Region Philbis,
Probab;ly the LOG , from which the table was made, was 18 feet long.
0 Replies

McTag
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 06:57 am
@Nancy88,

Quote:
...a custom-made dining table, cut from a single Claro Walnut tree from Oregon that's 18 feet long.

It evidently is intended to mean the table, although the sentence is badly punctuated and logically (and grammatically) it means the tree.

To make the meaning clear, the original sentence needed another comma, thus:

...a custom-made dining table, cut from a single Claro Walnut tree from Oregon, that's 18 feet long.

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 04:53 pm
"Furnishings include a custom-made dining table, cut from a single Claro Walnut tree from Oregon that's 18 feet long."

"That's" is a contraction of that is.Something in the present is 18 feet long. It can't be the tree, which no longer exists. Anyhow, Tables have length - trees have height - a tree would be 18 feet tall.
JTT

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 05:13 pm
@Nancy88,
To have gotten a dining table from one tree, it would have had to be a tree/log that was much longer than 18 feet.

Furnishings include a custom-made dining table, cut from a single Claro Walnut tree from Oregon that's 18 feet long.

The grammar tells us that it can be nothing but the table.

... a custom-made dining table. It's 18 feet long. [It was] cut from a single Claro Walnut tree from Oregon.

Furnishings include a custom-made dining table, [which was] cut from a single Claro Walnut tree from Oregon.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 05:18 pm
Whichever it is, I don't want a table that long in my dining room. Wouldn't fit anyway.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 05:24 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
Tables have length - trees have height - a tree would be 18 feet tall.
once the tree is cut and on the ground it has length, no?
contrex

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 05:35 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

Quote:
Tables have length - trees have height - a tree would be 18 feet tall.
once the tree is cut and on the ground it has length, no?

OK then.
0 Replies