Why are Dad's soo unfair?!

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 02:11 pm
Ok so my name is Melinda Grace but everyone calls me 'Gracie'and Im 13. And lately my dad's been really unfair to me and my twin sis Lissa because he let's our older brother Matt do whatever he wants but he doesn't let us do anything and he grounds us all the time. Like how a couple days ago Matt heard me tell Lissa about this boy that I really like. He gave me his phone number and I think he wants me to be his girlfriend. But when matt heard me tell that to lissa he told my dad that I had a boyfriend and I was hanging around boys all the time at school. So dad got all mad and took my phone and started to read the text messages that 'my boyfriend' sent. All the messages said was that he thought I was cute and he wanted to kiss me, they weren't even that bad. But dad started yelling at me sayin how I was too young to be flirting and talking to boys and that I shouldn't even be thinkin about boys. Bbut I wasn't even flirting and what's wrong with talking and thinkin about boys?! So dad kept yellin and I started to walk away and he grabed my arm and keeped yellin at me so I screamed at him to let me go and now he took my fone and my laptop so now I hav to sneak and use Lissa's and I'm grounded 'until furter notice'. Its just soo unfair! Matt has a different girlfriend every week and all dad does is laugh and joke with him saying how matt's jus like dad was when he was he's age but if I even think about havin a boyfriend dad goes nuts! That's not fair! Matt's only 3 years older that's not much of an age difference. Is it bcuz I'm a girl? Isn't he being mean and showing favorism just because Matt is a boy?

maxdancona

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 02:18 pm
@GracieGirl,
Melinda,

First thing. As a teenager you should never give out your real name on the Internet. It isn't safe. You are giving personal information to any creep who wants to read it. You should go get another user name and see if you can't get this message deleted.

This really really isn't safe. And, I would say the same thing if you were a boy.

engineer

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 02:37 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:
Matt's only 3 years older that's not much of an age difference. Is it bcuz I'm a girl? Isn't he being mean and showing favorism just because Matt is a boy?

Yes it is about age. Three years is a big difference when you are 13. Yes it is because you are a girl. Some dads are like that because they know what it is like to be a teenage boy and because they are old fashioned idiots, but at heart it is because he cares for you and is trying to do what he thinks is right, misguided though it may be.

Your best approach here is to have a good sit down with your dad with two goals. The first is for you to understand his concerns. The second is for you to point out that you are becoming the mature, responsible young lady he raised you to be and you haven't given him any reason to distrust you (unless you have, but that is another post.)

PS: Max is completely right.
GracieGirl

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 01:03 pm
@maxdancona,
Thanks, I guess your right. I didnt think about that. I tried to edit out my name and just keep 'Gracie' but I couldn't. I couldn't delete the question either, so what should I do?
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 01:08 pm
@engineer,
Okay, Thanks!
0 Replies