Why do we so Rarely See Jet Contrails Now?

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 02:07 am
When I was a kid during the sixties it seemed that almost every one had one, now I can't remember the last time I saw one. I assume the answer revolves around efficiency of thrust, but can anyone give a more complete answer?

Builder

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 02:16 am
I see heaps of contrails in Australia. Usually in winter (now) but often in summer too.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 02:21 am
@Builder,
Interesting....I grew up in Illinois but since 86 I have lived in warmer climates...the coldest was Munich, the warmest the Arizona desert. Perhaps it is as simple as that....
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 02:24 am
@hawkeye10,
However, I know that today jets fly slower to save fuel and at different alt than they did back then, which might play into the answer.
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 03:59 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Contrails (short for "condensation trails") or vapour trails are artificial clouds that are the visible trails of condensed water vapour
made by the exhaust of aircraft engines. As the hot exhaust gases cool in the surrounding air they may precipitate a cloud of
microscopic water droplets or, if the air is cold enough, tiny ice crystals.

The wingtip vortices which trail from the wingtips and wing flaps of aircraft are sometimes partly visible due to condensation
in the cores of the vortices. Each vortex is a mass of spinning air and the air pressure at the centre of the vortex is very low.
These wingtip vortices are not the same as contrails.

Depending on atmospheric conditions, contrails may be visible for only a few seconds or minutes, or may persist for many hours
which may affect climate.
(wiki)
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 05:42 am
they're called chemtrails, maaaaaaaaan, it's the illuminati, maaaaaaaaan, they're poisoning us to control the population, maaaaaaaaan

it's true, heard on Alex Jones Wink
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 08:03 am
When I was in Phoenix, the sky was littered with them. Here you see them all the time in the summer. I guess it depends where you live.
LionTamerX

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 08:11 am
@Ceili,
I can see four of them as I type.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 09:55 am
@hawkeye10,
It may just be that as a kid you just didn't notice the planes when there was no contrail visible. You are just more observant now.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 02:07 pm
It may have to do with the type of aircraft. Warplanes fly higher and faster than civil aviation. Also, commercial airliners now use fanjets almost exclusively. I recall that after 9/11, our own isolated section of the sky was filled with them, even when civil aviation was grounded.

I bet Georgeob knows about this kind of stuff.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 07:23 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Interesting....I grew up in Illinois but since 86 I have lived in warmer climates...

All fuels contain some water, and that water vaporizes from the heat of the engine and becomes visible at the dew point (frost point) in the ambient air. Altitude, speed, type of engine, aren't relevant - only air temperature. It's the same phenomenon with car exhausts, you can see them in cold weather.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 07:28 am
@High Seas,
It's often been argued that these actually fight against global warming, by reflecting some of the Sun's rays back into space. One of the few positive things to come out of 9/11 was that with the fly ban over the USA scientists could collect valuable data to check out the theory. Apparantly it's true.
Ionus

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 07:51 am
@izzythepush,
God you are an idiot . They are more likely to damage the ozone layer which would aid heating .
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 08:26 am
Funny that this just popped up...
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20667-second-world-war-bombers-changed-the-weather.html
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 07:33 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
When I was a kid during the sixties it seemed that almost every one had one
Every kid had a vapour trail ??? What were you eating ?

I found several by looking UP....
0 Replies

harddisk01

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 12:33 pm
@Builder,
i have no enough knowledge about Technology have u any idea?
0 Replies