Mad Cow Disease - Milk?

gollum

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 06:33 pm
Many people have stopped eating beef because of fear associated with mad cow disease.

If a given cow is infected, is drinking milk from it as risky as eating its beef?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,666 • Replies: 18
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 07:13 pm
its not kosher to ask that question
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 07:21 pm
MAD COW DIEASE - MILK
a/t the u.s. food and drug administration, milk and milk-by-products (presumably cheese, yoghurt ... ) from infected cows have so far not tested BSE-positive . you can read the report here : MAD COW DISEASE
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 07:27 pm
It is unlikely that the milk will test positive, ever. The infectious agent in BSE is a mutated from of a protein called prions, which are found on nerve endings, particularly in the brain and spinal cord. Prions have nothing to do with milk production in a cow.
0 Replies

lost my calgon

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 03:41 pm
actually milk does have proteins in it. I would switch to soy milk just to be safe. Cows milk wasn't meant for us to drink anyway.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 04:14 pm
Cages cause cancer in laboratory animals.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 06:20 pm
was soymilk destined to be consumed by humans ? just wondering. hbg
0 Replies

lost my calgon

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:57 am
actually hamburger....I do believe it was Breast Milk that was meant to be consumed by humans.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 10:13 am
detergent : now you are talking . i understand in china it was/is the custom to feed feeble old men with breastmilk to give them strenght again. hbg
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 10:32 am
http://www.totallytom.com/MadCow.html
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 01:36 am
Whether prions are detectable in cow's milk will depend on the assay method used as well as its sensitivity. It's likely that prions are present in the milk, but at a level too dilute for detection by currently available methods.

(HIV is present in human milk from infected females.)
0 Replies

Smiley

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 02:32 am
I would drink milk from a cow before eating it's beef,
mostly because it's hard to milk a half-eaten cow.

But apart from that, try Rice Dream and tempeh stir-fry . . . yumm!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 12:09 am
How about some goat milk?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 09:28 am
OK, so you can take Rense.com at face value, or with a grain of salt, but he has several running topics about BSE (and even about the safety and health of cow's milk and milk products). Here's one:

Mad Cow in Blood and Milk

FWIW, I drink soy milk exclusively (we have a great brand here -- I think it's national -- called Silk; the chocolate and French vanilla varieties in particular are delicious), eat butter and cheese sparingly and exclusively in restaurant-prepared foods, eat a lot of ice cream and frozen yogurt, and eat some beef but no ground beef (hamburgers were the toughest for me to quit; harder than cigarettes).
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 09:30 am
I don't like soy milk.
0 Replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 06:14 pm
From what I have read (sorry, it wasn't an online source, or I'd try to link), there have not been any incidents of BSE passing from mother to calf through milk consumption, which is why milk is not considered to be a potential source of nvCJD
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 06:18 pm
lost_my_calgon wrote:
actually milk does have proteins in it. I would switch to soy milk just to be safe. Cows milk wasn't meant for us to drink anyway.

Oh boy. Prions (if the causitive agent in BSE and there is debate about this in the scientific community) are "found" in neural tissue. Last I checked, milk isn't produced via this type of tissue.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 06:19 pm
hamburger wrote:
detergent : now you are talking . i understand in china it was/is the custom to feed feeble old men with breastmilk to give them strenght again. hbg

detergent? *LMAO* Maybe it's my warped sense of humour, but I find you often crack me up!
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 06:23 pm
Miller wrote:
Whether prions are detectable in cow's milk will depend on the assay method used as well as its sensitivity. It's likely that prions are present in the milk, but at a level too dilute for detection by currently available methods.

(HIV is present in human milk from infected females.)

I don't think you can correlate the migration of prions with that of HIV. HIV can usually be found in any body fluid of an infected individual.
0 Replies