I just ate a pizza

roger

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 07:46 pm
Okay, not really an exceptional thing to do, and it wasn't close to the best I've ever eaten. An interesting operation, though. I picked it up at Poppa Johns, and what an organization. This little store front, maybe 20' X 20' had fourteen people working there (not counting a dozen privately owned delivery vehicles) that I could see; every one of them working steadily, no one bumping into another, and my pie was ready, on time, and as I ordered it.

I just thought I would pass along this little observation of efficiency.

Oh, I'm not supposed to eat that much bread at one time, but so it goes.

ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 07:47 pm
@roger,
Bad boy...

make your own pizza, she says obnoxiusly.
roger

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 07:49 pm
@ossobuco,
I thought they came out of cans. Really big cans.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 07:51 pm
@roger,
No, those were pancakes.

(We made pancakes on cans at camp. Miserable, I tell you.)

I lie. I went to camp somewhere in Wisconsin for a part of a weekend in the early fifties. Big lodge, or so it seemed to me.

It was all a bore except for Carole Plouchinich's desplay of her panties.

So, what did you have on your pizza?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 07:59 pm
A teacher frequents my daughter's restaurant. He observes while eating. Later, as he teaches his class, he uses her operation as an example of how to be efficient and organized. It makes me proud every time I think about it.
roger

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 08:18 pm
@ossobuco,
Why, pepperoni of course. Pizza is kind of a verbal shorthand for pepperonipizza, you know.
roger

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 08:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
It almost temps one to make comparisons with other operations, doesn't it?
chai2

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 08:25 pm
Papa Johns is good pizza roger, especially when you put that garlic sauce on it.

edgar, you should be proud, a well run efficient resuarant is a beautiful thing to behold, whether it's a 5 star restaurant or a fast food joint.

I may have mentioned these 2 places, but I'll talk about them again.

One of them is a Wendy's that's about 1/2 a mile from work.
The manager there has the drive through running like a Swiss clock. I imagine walking in is the same.

I haven't been there since I've made some changes in my eating habits, but when I did, it was fun to see how fast, and accurately you'd get your food. The only thing that would hold up the line of cars was customers who would have to look for their money when they got to the first window. There was more than 1 occassion that I'd stop for a few seconds for them to swipe my card and as soon as they did, the car(s) in front of me would already be moving forward. I would let up on the brake a little and crawl up to the window, where someone would already be waiting with their arm out with my bag.
One time I called out "Here I come, I'm not even gonna stop!" She laughed and passed me my bag as I glided through.

The other place is Jimmy Johns, whose slogan is "So Fast You'll Freak!"
Indeed, one time I almost did.
I walked in, glancing at the board (they like to take your order by number), went up to the cashier and asked for a number 4. Then I said, "oh, and a bag of chips". I looked down at the chips under the counter, and took maybe 15 seconds to pick a flavor. By the time I picked it up, my receipt was being printed out. I grabbed a pen, signed, and when I went to hand back the signed copy, he was handing me my bag! The entire transaction took a minute or less, no kidding.
Actually, when I went in, there was a mom, dad & 2 kids right in front of me. They stopped because they didn't know what they wanted. I felt a little guilty stepping around them to order, but when I turned to walk out, they were still looking at the menu. It wasn't like they were taking a long time either.

Another thing I like about Jimmy Johns is that their online menu looks exactly like their printed one, and the one they have posted. Makes it much easier to order for groups.

Check out their website. It's a lot better than a lot of order online places.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 08:26 pm
@roger,
It makes me sick to compare her business to one where I ate on Friday night. These jokers were running at top speed, working like maniacs, to get out the food to the drive through customers. My wife and I waited a bit too long to order. Then we sat forever, awaiting the food. They had no proper utensils, after they served it. My food was so unexpectedly hot I burned a lip (the top one). My wife's was too underdone to be eaten. You can bet we will never go there again. We looked them up on the computer. They have a national brand name, but are wholly independent. So they were able to ignore the complaint.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 08:39 pm
I wish every single person in America had to work in that kitchen for a year or more!

You have really hit on a pet peeve of mine -- using your personal space wisely.

When I was 16 or so I worked in a restaurant kitchen that had a total standing space of about 3x9 feet where we would feed at least 200 people in a couple of hours. Every inch counted and that included every inch of space you took up. You had to be aware of not only what you needed to accomplish but where everyone else was and what they needed to accomplish.

To this day (and probably until the day I die) I think about the space I'm taking up no matter where I am. People who move about in space in an inefficient manner make me absolutely crazy.

I've since learned that doors marked "employees only" in large buildings usually lead to passageways that are unpopulated by space hogs. I do not hesitate to use them.

Kudos to Papa Johns and Kudos to edgar's daughter's restaurant. They are training the kind of people I'll happily share the planet with.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 08:42 pm
Let me make a couple of guess's about your daughters place edgar...

The people there really Like working there.
There's not as much turnover as other places, because they like working there.
They self police. If someone isn't pulling their weight, your daughter doesn't necessary have to get involved. They are proud of their work, and aren't going to let 1 person pull everyone down.
Your daughter asks them their opinions, and takes suggestions from them.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 09:03 pm
@chai2,
You are correct. She opened this place herself and hand picked her crew. They are friends, a team with high morale. Each has pride and no one is afraid to work
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 09:16 pm
@roger,
Your first pizza was it? Surprised

Our little Roger is growing up! Very Happy
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 09:18 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Why, pepperoni of course. Pizza is kind of a verbal shorthand for pepperonipizza, you know.

HA! My pizza is shorthand for onion and mushroom pizza. At 4 slices tonight. Leave the rest for tomorrow.
roger

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 09:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
Me too, and then I thought 'tomorrow never comes', and ate the whole thing.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 10:18 pm
I also had pizza this evening. Then, later in the night, I ate watermellon, something I have come to depend on this dry, hot year.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 10:36 pm
@roger,
Quote:
ate the whole thing

C'mon roger, you know I only come here for the leftover pizza.
roger

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 11:09 pm
@laughoutlood,
Had I only known
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 07:44 am
@roger,
Papa John's also has some mobile pizza trailers , they travel around to small towns where they don't have a store. We have one show up here for a few days, every now and then. They park in the grocery store parking lot, you can order a pizza, go get a few groceries, and your pizza's ready when you come out.
LionTamerX

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 07:57 am
@wayne,
We are fortunate, in my area of N.C., to have several bona fide pizzerias that serve authentic NYC style pizza. I can't eat that fast food chain style stuff without getting queasy from all the msg they put in there.
Efficiency be damned.