Tick, tick. August 2nd is the Debt Limit Armageddon. Or Not.

parados

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 12:25 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Very little of the enormous increases in government expenditures initiated by the Obama administration has been covered by these trusts: we could start by cutting them. You are again changing and evading the issues under discussion.

I would be happy to address this claim of yours george if you want to come up with the numbers on these expenditures that are not trust funds.
You will find that there are not "enormous" expenditures initiated by the Obama adminstration. The biggest problem is the huge drop in receipts.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 12:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
Another thought about those IOU pieces of paper. With the deadlock on the debt ceiling, the government will be spending more on interest payments to make good on those debts. Another boondoggle of our government's stupidity. I wonder how much more billions that's going to cost?
parados

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 12:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
George's argument is that it IS protected and they MUST be paid back first before any other payments are made.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 12:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Look on the bright side. With an increase in interest rates, it will increase the value of the SS trust fund so nothing will have to be done to rescue it.

Unless of course the goal is to NOT pay back those funds.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 12:34 pm
For those who claim that Conservatives are happy with Congress:

Worst. Congress. Ever.

NORMAN ORNSTEIN

Quote:

That brings us to the 112th Congress. House Republicans are adamant about refusing to compromise with the president, and are able in most instances to make good on the threat. When they are not able to maintain this unity, they are simply unwilling to bring up or pass measures that would lose significant GOP votes and require as many or more Democrats in support. This is a formula for gridlock, or worse. is the Republicans are simply declining to govern.

We have seen problems emerge on more issues than the fiscal issues now before Congress. For instance, the painful effort to find broad bipartisan support for three significant trade agreements that are clearly in America's national interest, including its economic and diplomatic interest (and which first had to overcome substantial Democratic opposition), have been thwarted of late by Republicans' refusal to negotiate with the president over a much more minor issue of implementing trade adjustment assistance.

Political tactics to provoke confrontation, during a time when the permanent campaign reigns supreme and the competition for majorities in both houses is fierce, have combined with the rise of partisan media, one with far more reach and immediacy than the partisan press that thrived in the 19th century. When a phalanx of conservative media outlets, from the Wall Street Journal editorial page to talk radio and blogs, chimes in that breaching America's debt limit would at worst be benign and at best could actually do the country some good, and are joined by presidential candidates like Michele Bachmann and Tim Pawlenty in those messages, it encourages the confrontationalists to ignore the reality that damaging the full faith and credit of the United States will cause long-lasting economic turmoil at home and abroad.

Partisan and ideological conflict is inherent in democratic political systems, of course, and governing is often a messy process. But this level of dysfunction is not typical. And it is not going away in the near future. The 2012 elections are sure to bring very close margins in both houses of Congress, and even more ideological polarization; the redistricting process now underway in the House is targeting some of the last few Blue Dog Democrats in places like North Carolina and enhancing the role of primary elections on the Republican side, which will pull candidates and representatives even further to the right.

The Framers saw deliberation, institutional loyalty, and compromise as the only way to produce sensible and legitimate policy decisions in an extended republic. Many Republicans, especially former office holders, understand this. Many of the party's current members surely would prefer to solve problems, if the culture and atmosphere -- and the primary process that gives inordinate power to both parties' ideological bases -- did not make it so hard to do so. But there is little chance that a suitable climate for compromise and bipartisanship will take hold anytime soon -- meaning that we can look forward to more headaches ahead at home and abroad

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2011/07/19/worst_congress_ever?page=0,1

This is a very long analysis but is well worth the time...
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 12:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
That's the reason why I signed up for membership with AMERICANSELECT.ORG, today. The members are fed up with the politics of Washington DC that fails to negotiate in a crisis. We will, I'm sure, change this in the future with AMERICANSELECT.ORG. It's a grassroots organization that seeks like-minded people to change our politics forever.

They provide a survey on all the main issues of our day, how you think about them, and where you "fit" in the on-going survey. Most of my answers were in the majority of the current group, so it looks very promising. They have over 1-million members now, and I'm sure that number will grow before next year's elections.

We must change or let them (in Washington DC) destroy this country.

The downhill trend must be stopped.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 12:50 pm
It is time for Obama to fold....anyone seen in the news where it has happened yet??
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 12:50 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

You can't cut anything george because there is nothing but Military and Veterans to cut if you want to protect the Trust funds.

You work hard to excerpt words and phrases from their context, in an effort to manufacture contradictions that aren't there.

I do want to see reductions in entitlement programs and unemployment benefits. However, I also recognize that, untill those changes are enacted by law, they properly have the first claim on government revenues, particularly those specifically earmarked for them. That shouldn't be too hard for you to understand.

It was a largely Republican Congress that forced then President Clinton into an overdue reform of our Federal welfare system and the additional spending restraints that soon yielded a small budget surplus. Clinton wisely embraced the initiatives, and together they did some good things for us all. Now it needs to be done again. Unfortunately this time we have a President who fails himself to offer any specific initiatives, but works to frustrate much needed corrections, and in fact supports expanded government spending and regulation . These policies not only add to the expenditure problem, but also delay an already unusually slow recovery fromn a deep recession, thereby reducing government revenues.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 01:28 pm
@georgeob1,
Nothing wrong with "moderates" to change those things that requires change.

I just don't believe in the way the GOP-tea party plays games to threaten our whole well-being on the basis of approving the debt ceiling that's been done in the past without this kind of foolishness.
georgeob1

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 01:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Perhaps you could suggest some other techniques to get the attention of a President and a party in control of the Senate to pay some attention to a growing and very serious set of problems. They never seriously addressed the current year budget and haven't begun to deal with the coming budget for next fiscal year. More to the point, apart from vague proposals leaked to favorable political blogs, they haven't offered any coherent solution to our combined debt, deficit, unemployment and lackluster economic growth problems. Instead they are playing a coy political game, avoiding any explicit proposals and, instead, criticizing those offered by their political opponents from the sidelines. This is a rather strange form of "leadership".
JPB

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 01:46 pm
Quote:
On NBC’s Meet the Press, Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., a fiscal conservative who is on good terms personally with the president, said Republican leaders will offer Obama only a short-term debt limit increase.

"That's what he's going to get presented with, that's the compromise way through," Coburn said.

The Oklahoma Republican said he understands why White House officials are saying that Obama won't sign a short-term debt limit increase, "but I think they won't have any choice, and I think that's the only answer right now."

If we're still fighting over this during the next election cycle I see a broad sweeping anti-incumbency cleansing.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 01:52 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
If we're still fighting over this during the next election cycle I see a broad sweeping anti-incumbency cleansing.
The Repubs are trying to keep Obama prisoner in Washington so that he cant raise money and campaign. It may well work. This fight over the role and size of government will continue until someone loses, I no longer think that a compromise is possible.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 01:54 pm
@JPB,

I see the voters finishing the job they started last November.
JPB

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 02:03 pm
@H2O MAN,
We'll have to agree to disagree on which direction they'll go.
H2O MAN

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 02:13 pm
@JPB,
OK -
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 02:15 pm
@georgeob1,
Meanwhile you work long and hard to never present any numbers.
Rhetoric doesn't do you any good if you don't have numbers george. The simple fact of the matter is, cutting alone doesn't add up to a balanced budget unless you are willing to make drastic cuts that you are not naming.

I have pointed out that income taxes barely cover half of what is in the present budget that isn't currently funded by Trust funds

Quote:
I do want to see reductions in entitlement programs and unemployment benefits. However, I also recognize that, untill those changes are enacted by law, they properly have the first claim on government revenues, particularly those specifically earmarked for them. That shouldn't be too hard for you to understand.
But you fail to address the problem that UNLESS you are willing to take money from those trust funds and not repay it, you will never balance the budget. You want it both ways george, in a mathematically impossible fashion.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 02:51 pm
@georgeob1,
This has been an ongoing problem long before Obama took office; maybe you haven't noticed, but GW Bush ran up the deficit too, and not so much as a peep from the GOP.

From politifact.com.

Quote:
$5 trillion added to national debt under Bush
Mostly True
Share this story:

We know the public debt has grown dramatically during the past eight years.

Rahm Emanuel, Barack Obama's White House chief of staff, pegged the increase at $4 trillion recently.

Emanuel appeared on Meet the Press the Sunday before Obama took office and was asked about Obama's spending plans and whether he was concerned about adding even more to the national debt.

Emanuel began by pointing out that the national debt increased significantly during the Bush administration, then he defended the need for a stimulus bill to help the economy.

"Actually, there was a surplus at one time, and now we've added, in the last eight years, $4 trillion of debt to the nation's obligations," Emanuel said.

Emanuel was actually using two different ways of talking about the budget. We'll explain.

The federal government creates a budget every year. When it spends more money than it takes in, it runs a deficit. When tax revenues run higher than expenses, that's a budget surplus. At the end of the Clinton administration, there were several years of budget surpluses.

But those surpluses were not enough to compensate for the previous deficit years. So the government still carried what's called the national debt.

(For more detail on these concepts, check out this "Frequently Asked Questions about the Public Debt" Web page put together by the Treasury Department.)

Here, we wanted to look at Emanuel's claim that during the past eight years we've added $4 trillion to the national debt. Is it that much?

Turns out, it's even more than that.

Emanuel didn't mention the Bush administration specifically, but that's what most people think of when they think of the last eight years. So we decided to check the national debt from when Bush took office to when he left.

When Bush took office, the national debt was $5.73 trillion. When he left, it was $10.7 trillion. That's a difference of $4.97 trillion, almost $1 trillion more than what Emanuel said.

But the debt has shot up significantly during the past few months, mostly due to the economic meltdown of 2008 and the government's efforts to shore up the federal banking system.

As recently as Sept. 18, 2008, Emanuel would have been correct with the $4 trillion number.

You can check out all these numbers for yourself via the Treasury Department's debt history search application .

So what does the Truth-O-Meter say when someone is off by $1 trillion? As we've said with our policy on statistical claims , "to assess the truth for a numbers claim, the biggest factor is the underlying message." So even though he is off by about 20 percent, the fact that the number has been surging lately supports his point that the debt increased greatly under Bush. So we rate his statement Mostly True.

Another thing you seem to forget; most of the spending done by Obama has been to give tax breaks to everybody, provide assistance to those who have lost jobs (and homes), and to help save jobs at the car companies. Some estimates give the jobs saved by the bailout of GMC and Chyrsler to be over 1-million. Even Ford CEO, Alan Mulally, said Obama's saving of GMC and Chrysler also saved Ford - and the auto industry in the US.

I criticized Obama on saving GMC and Chrysler, but later changed my opinion when I learned the benefits of saving those companies.

You should too!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 04:16 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Meanwhile you work long and hard to never present any numbers.
Rhetoric doesn't do you any good if you don't have numbers george. The simple fact of the matter is, cutting alone doesn't add up to a balanced budget unless you are willing to make drastic cuts that you are not naming.

I have pointed out that income taxes barely cover half of what is in the present budget that isn't currently funded by Trust funds
You are again beating a dead horse. No one (I'm aware of) has suggested that cutting government spending alone will cure our combined budget & economic growth crisis. Equally absurd is the notion proffered by some that new taxes alone will do the job.

We need government policies that will reduce spending; promote economic growth, and, after some increased level of economic activity is restored, rationalize our tax system in a way that eliminates harmful tax evasion and improves revenue without reducing economic growth.

Unfortunately the current Administration appears to be focused on everything else.

You appear to be very focused on the static arithmetic of the current budget, but forgetful of the fact that it was a steep decline in economic activity that turned a problem into a crisis. The solution should, appropriately, be more focused on restoring economic activity (as opposed to extended payments to people for not working) in the short term than in extracting further taxes from a stagnant economy that is also being hobbled by expanded government regulation.

parados wrote:

Quote:
But you fail to address the problem that UNLESS you are willing to take money from those trust funds and not repay it, you will never balance the budget. You want it both ways george, in a mathematically impossible fashion.

No. I believe that unless we alter entitlements, particularly including SS and Medicare we will have a demographically unsustainable burden on our economy - very much as Europe is facing today (though generally less severe).

As above, we need to truly stimulate new private sector economic activity in the short term. That isn't accomplished by Federal giveaways to the favored constituents of either party, and it isn't accomplished by an expanded regulatory chokehold on the entrepreneurs who create jobs; the suppression of petroleum extraction in Alaska or on our Atlantic, Pacific and Gulf coasts; the mandated shutdown of half of our electrical power generating capability; or payoffs to backward-looking and anacronistic labor unions. More importantly, it won't be accomplished by added taxes designed to sustain entitlement programs we won't be able to sustain in the long term under any scenario due to the demographic changes noted above.

These problems require more than the self-serving and static arithmetic you appear to favor. I do recognize your inclination to change the question as the conversation takes unfavorable (to you) turns.
parados

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 05:23 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
The solution should, appropriately, be more focused on restoring economic activity (as opposed to extended payments to people for not working) in the short term than in extracting further taxes from a stagnant economy that is also being hobbled by expanded government regulation.

And your proposal to do this is what?

Reducing government spending isn't going to increase the economy.

Quote:
No. I believe that unless we alter entitlements, particularly including SS and Medicare we will have a demographically unsustainable burden on our economy - very much as Europe is facing today (though generally less severe).
Something that isn't a problem for almost 20 years unless we don't raise taxes to pay off the trust funds.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 06:01 pm
Gold opens easily breaking 1620.

That is all.
0 Replies