Emotional reactions to 'oddness'

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 04:09 pm
What research has been done about the role emotional reactions to 'oddness' play in the way humans try and make their world intelligible?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,634 • Replies: 2

Thomas

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2011 11:09 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
I don't know, but the academic field you want to look into is called "cognitive psychology". Happy Googling!
0 Replies

Abishai100

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2013 02:15 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
The sociologist Durkheim said that humans classify the concept of "dirt" or dirtiness as the material of matter out of place.

If Durkheim's argument has relevance here, we can suggest that the human instinct to organize their universe by categorizing objects based on feature similarities effectively constructs what we call "civilization order."

Oddness or chaos then can be described as occurrences or appearances of objects that can not be classified or categorized since their features do not seem compatible with or similar to those of other categorized perceived objects.

This leaves oddness or chaos as elements of the realm of the unexplained, the enigmatic, or the unrecognized.

Perhaps oddness-exploration American couture-divination Hollywood (USA) movies such as "Mystic Pizza" (1988) reflect detective "emotions" towards fascination about extra-science (or science-fiction) fields such as the enigmatic rumored vanishing travel region of the Bermuda Triangle.
0 Replies