Your Quote of the Day

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Feb, 2020 08:47 am
“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

A twofer today:

“I am rooted, but I flow.”
― Virginia Woolf
coluber2001

Reply Sat 29 Feb, 2020 04:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
“I am rooted, but I flow.”
― Virginia Woolf

" I am a flower, but I'm rooted."

I'm sorry.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2020 08:48 am
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde, The Happy Prince and Other Stories
eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2020 06:18 am
@edgarblythe,
There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power.
They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues.
They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love.
Washington Irving
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2020 01:43 pm
Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.
--Buddha
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2020 01:49 pm
“Someone was saying yesterday, "This world

began in time, but eternity will inherit it.”
― Rumi, The Soul of Rumi: A New Collection of Ecstatic Poems
0 Replies

xrickandmorty

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2020 01:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
everything is an occurence for something to not occur means that does not exist.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2020 03:12 pm
@xrickandmorty,
xrickandmorty wrote:

everything is an occurence for something to not occur means that does not exist.

That's a sloppy sentence.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2020 04:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
But amorphous and glabberly.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 09:03 am
“Closing your eyes isn't going to change anything. Nothing's going to disappear just because you can't see what's going on. In fact, things will even be worse the next time you open your eyes. That's the kind of world we live in. Keep your eyes wide open. Only a coward closes his eyes. Closing your eyes and plugging up your ears won't make time stand still.”
― Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2020 01:49 pm
“What makes night within us may leave stars.”
― Victor Hugo, Ninety-Three
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 03:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
“We who think we are about to die will laugh at anything.”
― Terry Pratchett, Night Watch
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 10:37 am
“Everyone goes through a period of Traviamento - when we take, say, a different turn in life, the other via. Dante himself did. Some recover, some pretend to recover, some never come back, some chicken out before even starting, and some, for fear of taking any turns, find themselves leading the wrong life all life long.”
― André Aciman, Call Me by Your Name
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2020 09:26 am
“For behold your body —
A painted puppet, a toy,
Jointed, sick and full of false
imaginings,
A shadow that shifts and fades.”
― Gautama Buddha, The Dhammapada : The Sayings of Buddha
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2020 05:49 am
“A typical master. Right to the end, he didn’t give me a chance to get a word in edgeways. Which is a pity, because at that last moment I’d have liked to tell him what I thought of him. Mind you, since in that split second we were, to all intents and purposes, one and the same, I rather think he knew anyway.”
― Jonathan Stroud, Ptolemy's Gate
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 12:20 pm
There is great beauty in nature but also great horror. If you can accept both, therein lies the sublime.
--W. A. Narod
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 12:45 pm
“The white fathers told us: I think, therefore I am. The black goddess within each of us - the poet - whispers in our dreams: I feel, therefore I can be free.”
― Audre Lorde
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 07:42 am
"No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away..."
-Terry Pratchett
xrickandmorty

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 08:43 am
Everything has a value and something that does not have a value is a type of value. You could call a free will which is randomness a value, but everything has a cause. Something is caused has a specific effect, and cannot be caused by randomness because a cause is causing the randomness to cause it and so on in an infinite conceptual loop, leaving no end what can never change.

----myself
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 08:52 am
Quote:

I find I am much prouder of the victory I obtain over myself, when, in the very ardor of dispute, I make myself submit to my adversary’s force of reason, than I am pleased with the victory I obtain over him through his weakness.

...Montaigne
0 Replies