Looking for a particular quote...

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 09:44 am
I registered here hoping someone could help me with a quote that I haven't been able to find.

My memory of the quote is something like:

"It's a common misconception that our political leaders are well intentioned but inept. In fact, they are neither."

The gist of the quote seems accurate in my memory but the individual words I'm less sure of. I also think it was a woman who said this but I'm not sure why I think that. I read it years ago and may have distorted things in my mind.

It's a sentiment I strongly feel is true and I'd appreciate it if someone could help me find the source. Otherwise I might try to claim it as my own!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 8,151 • Replies: 10
No top replies

LocalHero

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 09:51 am
I'm also trying to understand this site. I thought I was posting in the Quotes Forum but I'm no longer sure about this. I can't figure out HOW to specifically post in a given forum...
rosborne979

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 09:53 am
@LocalHero,
Mark Twain used to bash Congress pretty strongly. For example...

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.- Mark Twain, a Biography"

Apparently not much has changed in a hundred years.

Maybe he was the source?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 09:54 am
@LocalHero,
LocalHero wrote:
I'm also trying to understand this site. I thought I was posting in the Quotes Forum but I'm no longer sure about this. I can't figure out HOW to specifically post in a given forum...
Everything starts off in one big pool. It's only the tags you attach to a discussion that defines it as being part of a particular area of interest. So when you start a discussion, make sure to tag it with something that you think is relevant.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 12:12 pm
@LocalHero,
Here is one possibility:

"Government is staffed with mostly well-intentioned but incompetent people... Conspiracy theorists reverse this: They think government is evil-intentioned but supremely competent."
— Jonah Goldberg, National Review Online, 9/13/06
0 Replies

LocalHero

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 03:41 pm
wandeljw,
That quote is the closest I've seen so far but still not exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks though.

rosborne979,
It's a sad fact that not much has changed in 100 years but there it is.
Thanks for the tip on categorizing the post. I have to say this is about the strangest forum I've ever encountered. It's a bit awkward to reply to the entire thread it seems.

Also, I'd checked the box to be emailed about replies but haven't gotten any emails about these replies. Does that function normally work?

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 04:54 pm
@LocalHero,
There is a tutorial that may help you with site usage.
How to Set Preferences, Navigate, Format Posts, Sort Topics on A2K
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 05:06 pm
@LocalHero,
Quote:
I registered here hoping someone could help me with a quote that I haven't been able to find.

My memory of the quote is something like:

"It's a common misconception that our political leaders are well intentioned but inept. In fact, they are neither."

I don't know where to find it...never heard it before. But if your rendition of it is a paraphrase...you are a genius.

I love it!
LocalHero

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 07:20 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks, I think I've figured a lot of it out.... I'm still not getting email notices of posts to this thread. That option is checked and my email is valid.

Also, the way to simply post in sequence on a thread is to scroll up to the top and hit "reply to all"? I'm replying to you on this one so I'll see how it posts...

Edit: I see, replying to a specific posts simply adds the @(poster) to my post.
LocalHero

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 07:24 pm
@Frank Apisa,
A genius, I like that! I think I'll sleep on that one!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 07:28 pm
@LocalHero,
If you use the green Reply button associated within a post, then you are responding to that specific post.

If you scroll to the top (or bottom) of a thread and use the Reply All button, it doesn't associate your response to a specific post, it is just a general comment/response to the thread.

By the way, there are green triangles over on the right hand scroll bar that are shortcuts to quickly take you to the bottom or top of a page, much like holding down the control key and pressing either the Home or End key on your keyboard. It makes moving around the lengthy pages less of a chore.

The email notice function is not functioning at the moment. It got broken by the movers when we moved to this format version of the website. You've seen those videos of the FedEx driver tossing the box over the fence to deliver it? I think that's what the movers did with the email notice function. Wink

Edit to respond to your edit: Yes, it adds the @poster to your reply so readers can click on it to see what you were responding to if it isn't in chronological order. The Reply All button does not add the @poster to your response.

You can also use the Quote Button to cite all or parts of the text in a post you are responding to.
0 Replies