Your Quote of the Day

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2020 07:08 pm
“The Dutch fetishes who converted me tell me every Sunday that the blacks and whites are all children of one father, whom they call Adam. As for me, I do not understand anything of genealogies; but if what these preachers say is true, we are all second cousins; and you must allow that it is impossible to be worse treated by our relations than we are.”
― Voltaire
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2020 09:24 am
The man who says he can, and the man who says he can’t are both correct.
Confucius
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 01:30 pm
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.”
― Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2020 10:09 am
“A civilization is not destroyed by wicked people; it is not necessary that people be wicked but only that they be spineless.”
― James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2020 09:45 am
“Every word she writes is a lie, including ‘and’ and ‘the’."
(on Lillian Hellman)”
― Mary McCarthy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2020 10:31 am
“Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible.”
― Richard Feynmann
eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 05:50 am
@edgarblythe,
A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday.
Jonathan Swift
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 09:16 am
@eurocelticyankee,
“I see the past as it actually was," Maeve said. She was looking at the trees.

"But we overlay the present onto the past. We look back through the lens of what we know now, so we're not seeing it as the people we were, we're seeing it as the people we are, and that means the past has been radically altered.”
― Ann Patchett, The Dutch House
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2020 08:37 am
“Desperation is the raw material of drastic change. Only those who can leave behind everything they have ever believed in can hope to escape. ”
― William S. Burroughs
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2020 02:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
“Desperation is the raw material of drastic change. Only those who can leave behind everything they have ever believed in can hope to escape.” Not true for many of us seniors whose memory is so bad, there's nothing to escape from.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 04:37 pm
Lily Rothman
October 4, 2018

"It was also possible for those [Americans] who had participated in Nazi-sympathetic groups to later cloak their beliefs in the Cold War’s anti-communist push — a dynamic that had in fact driven some of them to fascism in the first place, as it seemed “tougher on communism than democracy is,” as Hart puts it. (One survey he cites found that in 1938, more Americans thought that communism was worse than fascism than vice versa.) Such people could truthfully insist that they’d always been anti-communist without revealing that they’d been fascists, and their fellow Americans were still so worried about communism that they might not press the matter."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 05:25 pm
“Change alone is eternal, perpetual, immortal.”
― Arthur Schopenhauer
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2020 07:12 pm
“You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children.”
― Madeleine L'Engle
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 08:15 am
"The older you get, the harder it is to find someone willing to share a horse costume with you."
unknown
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 11:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
I would presume a donkey would be more difficult. Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2020 07:05 am
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”

― Socrates
0 Replies