Your Quote of the Day

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2019 10:01 am
"1. All fungi are edible. 2. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 01:15 pm
“Logic and truth are two very different things, but they often look the same to the mind that’s performing the logic.”
― Theodore Sturgeon, More Than Human
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 01:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
“Logic and truth are two very different things, but they often look the same to the mind that’s performing the logic.”
― Theodore Sturgeon, More Than Human

The evidence is all around us. Just observe our politics and religions.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2019 06:45 pm
“Sometimes it's not enough to know what things mean, sometimes you have to know what things don't mean.”
― Bob Dylan
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2019 03:38 am
Dieu a dit : "Il faut partager. Les riches auront la nourriture, les pauvres auront de l'appétit."
-- Coluche
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2019 03:45 am
Politicians invest money in prisons rather than in schools, because for  sure, they won't go back to school.
-- Coluche
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2019 09:59 pm
The civil rights movement didn't deal with the issue of political disenfranchisement in the Northern cities. It didn't deal with the issues that were happening in places like Detroit, where there was a deep process of deindustrialization going on. So you have this response of angry young people, with a war going on in Vietnam, a poverty program that was insufficient, and police brutality. All these things gave rise to the black power movement. The black power movement was not a separation from the civil rights movement, but a continuation of this whole process of democratization.
Danny Glover
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2019 11:50 am
“A nation that destroys its soils destroys itself. Forests are the lungs of our land, purifying the air and giving fresh strength to our people. ”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 12:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
It's worse than that! We build bombs that can destroy this planet. Isn't that insanity?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 12:48 pm
I was hurt so deep that I made up my mind never to hurt anybody else, no matter what. I never made jokes about anybody's big ears, their stut- terin', or about them bein' off their nut.
In reference to being teased at school as a child for his looks, as quoted in Schnozzola : The Story of Jimmy Durante (1951) by Gene Fowler
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 09:18 pm
“The first time it was reported that our friends were being butchered there was a cry of horror. Then a hundred were butchered. But when a thousand were butchered and there was no end to the butchery, a blanket of silence spread.
When evil-doing comes like falling rain, nobody calls out "stop!"

When crimes begin to pile up they become invisible. When sufferings become unendurable the cries are no longer heard. The cries, too, fall like rain in summer.”
― Bertolt Brecht, Selected Poems
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2019 02:36 pm
“Dreams, memories, the sacred--they are all alike in that they are beyond our grasp. Once we are even marginally separated from what we can touch, the object is sanctified; it acquires the beauty of the unattainable, the quality of the miraculous. Everything, really, has this quality of sacredness, but we can desecrate it at a touch. How strange man is! His touch defiles and yet he contains the source of miracles.”
― Yukio Mishima, Spring Snow
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 09:04 am
“All I ever wanted was a world without maps.”
― Michael Ondaatje, The English Patient
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 03:13 pm
“I am a humanist because I think humanity can, with constant moral guidance, create reasonably decent societies. I think that young people who want to understand the world can profit from the works of Plato and Socrates, the behaviour of the three Thomases, Aquinas, More and Jefferson — the austere analyses of Immanuel Kant and the political leadership of Abraham Lincoln and Franklin Roosevelt. [The World Is My Home (1991)]”
― James A. Michener
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 04:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
Always enjoyed Michener's stories. Hawaii started out slow, but once he got into the story, you couldn't put the book down.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 07:22 pm
“A Man About To Tell The Truth Should Keep One Foot In The Stirrup.”--Mongolian saying
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 08:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
“A Man About To Tell The Truth Should Keep One Foot In The Stirrup.”--Mongolian saying
In other words, keep your foot on the gas peddle.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2019 12:34 pm
Janis Ian
21 hrs ·
Thanks to Ken for posting this as part of the anti-trust discussion below. I adored Frank Zappa. One of the coolest moments in my life came when I was at a NY club, preparing to watch Cream circa 1967 - can't remember the club name (maybe the Au Go Go?). Anyway I was around 15, sitting on the aisle, when someone from the club asked me to move in one because Frank Zappa wanted to sit next to me, and he had very long legs. We watched the show together, in silence (to be honest, I was pretty initimidated). When it ended, he stood up, stretched, look down at me, and said "You're doing a great job entertaining the troops, kid. Keep it up."
To this day I'm not sure what he meant by "troops" except for one interesting fact - when most of the US was refusing to play my recording "Society's Child", Armed Forces Radio was playing it in heavy, heavy rotation all through Viet Nam.
https://tinyurl.com/zaopaantitrust
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2019 07:58 am
“The most important kind of freedom is to be what you really are. You trade in your reality for a role. You trade in your sense for an act. You give up your ability to feel, and in exchange, put on a mask. There can't be any large-scale revolution until there's a personal revolution, on an individual level. It's got to happen inside first.”
― Jim MORRISON
JTT

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2019 09:31 am
@edgarblythe,
The crimes of the U.S. throughout the world have been systematic, constant, clinical, remorseless, and fully documented but nobody talks about them.
--- Harold Pinter

-------------
Least of all, Edgar.
0 Replies